+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Feedback on Tech's in Town Meetings 2024

  1. #1
    Bulldog jycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her game
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Frisco, Texas
    Posts
    107

    Feedback on Tech's in Town Meetings 2024

    Living in the DFW area (Frisco), there is a scheduled Tech's in Town meeting in Irving scheduled for the 20th. Attendees include President of the University, AD, and "select head coaches" (unnamed). Looking for any feedback from meetings in other cities to determine if worth the drive time, etc. to hear them. Not knowing which head coaches would attend is an issue, plus just wondering if you are setting ones self up for frustration in listening to the likely unkept promises made. Would be good to hear if others have attended this year and whether they felt it was worth the time. Many thanks.

  2. #2
    Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    22,341

    Re: Feedback on Tech's in Town Meetings 2024

    June 13 | Baton Rouge
    BRQ Seafood & BBQ


    June 18 | Shreveport/Bossier
    Great Raft Brewing

    June 20 | DFW
    Whiskey Cake (Las Colinas)


    June 21 | Houston
    Saint Arnold Brewing Co.


    June 25 | Monroe/West Monroe
    Underdogs Grill & Chill


    June 27 | Little Rock
    Walk On's Bistreaux


    June 28 | Ruston
    Argent Pavilion
    catered by Log Cabin



    CONTACT INFORMATION

    Hannah Huenefeld
    318.295.4369
    HHuenefeld@LATechAlumni.org






  3. #3
    Big Dog TechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the rough
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Shreveport
    Posts
    957

    Re: Feedback on Tech's in Town Meetings 2024

    Quote Originally Posted by jycww View Post
    Living in the DFW area (Frisco), there is a scheduled Tech's in Town meeting in Irving scheduled for the 20th. Attendees include President of the University, AD, and "select head coaches" (unnamed). Looking for any feedback from meetings in other cities to determine if worth the drive time, etc. to hear them. Not knowing which head coaches would attend is an issue, plus just wondering if you are setting ones self up for frustration in listening to the likely unkept promises made. Would be good to hear if others have attended this year and whether they felt it was worth the time. Many thanks.
    if nothing else why not go and support Louisiana Tech University with your presence. Bleed Tech Blue, right?

  4. #4
    Bulldog jycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her gamejycww is on top of his/her game
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Frisco, Texas
    Posts
    107

    Re: Feedback on Tech's in Town Meetings 2024

    We ended up going last night, hoping to see people we knew from when we attended. That didn't happen, but I would say that they had around 150+ at the Dallas event (I am terrible at estimating, so could have been a bit more). Event was at the Whiskey Cake in Irving and it could have been a bit bigger in truth due to the turnout. While we didn't know anyone, they did call out Matt Stover (20+ years in NFL) at the event so that was cool.

    The coaches and administration walked in just about the time it was to start. Representing Tech was Dr Henderson, Ivey (AD), Cumbie (FB), Hester (MBB), Stoehr (WBB), Burroughs (Baseball) and McCray (Volleyball). So quite a few of the coaches attended the event. Although some said hi as they arrived and walked past the tables, they pretty quickly ended up in different parts of the area, congregating to those that they seemed to know. For sure, there was little to no "working the room". Hester stayed in the back with about 4-5 people that he seemed to know for the event. Stoehr and Burroughs seemed to stay together most of the time, engaging with a few people that came up to them. For me, I expected more interaction, but this may have been a chance for them to catch up with old acquaintances. Cumbie's parents were there (driving in from Ft Worth), and he spent a good deal of time initially with them.

    As the evening started, Cumbie got up to speak. He spoke for no more than 5 minutes and really didn't cover anything of significance with the FB team. He mentioned that the players were in conditioning at this time, and spoke of the 2 football camps currently underway (one last week and one up coming). He did mention Nicholls St as the first game, but that's about it. I think I expected more from him. Next was Dr Henderson and this was the first time I had heard him speak. He greeted everyone to the event, spoke about the video board that is at Tech and also mentioned both current and upcoming construction at the University. He was very engaging and I thought it went well. He worked the room when he arrived and through the entire event so was very impressed. Next, Ivey spoke for a short time. First time I had heard him and he was pretty good. He asked 3 things of those in attendance: To be present at the sporting events, to give $$ when able, and to represent Tech by wearing Tech merch letting people see and hear more about Tech. Not sure what I really expected, but his 5 min talk was good. All in all, I would say the speakers talked for about 15 minutes or so (give or take).

    As Ivey walked past as he finished, I was able to stop him and ask a question about CUSA. I asked if he thought CUSA was viable and how he saw Tech fitting in going forward. While I didn't expect a newsflash answer, I did feel his answer was interesting. He said "CUSA is the right answer for La Tech today. We will have to see if it is for tomorrow". He mentioned the ever changing landscape in college athletics and stated that this is something he continues to monitor on a daily basis. I guess you can read into that whatever you want.

    I was disappointed that the other coaches did not talk. As I said, none seemed to work the room as I had expected. They said hello as they entered together (apparently traveling to Dallas together), but beyond that, I didn't notice that much interaction. They seemed to speak to those they were familiar with, although did see a couple of people walk up to Stoehr and Burroughs. I found the most engaging coach was McCray, who went to multiple tables, saying hello and engaging with many.

    Another disappointment was that there was zero merch (caps, shirts, etc.) for sale. In a previous event a few years ago in Houston, they had setup a table and sold quite a bit of stuff. This would have been a perfect opportunity for those in Dallas to buy a bit (certainly not available in Dallas), but because there was nothing for sale, it didn't happen. I felt this was a missed opportunity. Only Tech stuff to grab at the event was a few koozies with Tech logo on it. I had just expected more.

    All in all, it was enjoyable, but definitely wished I could have heard the other coaches speak.

  5. #5
    2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    13,713

    Re: Feedback on Tech's in Town Meetings 2024

    Quote Originally Posted by jycww View Post
    "CUSA is the right answer for La Tech today. We will have to see if it is for tomorrow".

    I'm not sure that first sentence is correct without some qualifiers like "from among our options" but I wouldn't expect (and probably wouldn't want) anything much stronger than what was said. I bet all 12 ADs in CUSA have a version of that answer ready to go. They'd just hope the second sentence fends off any challenge to the first one (and I don't disagree with that approach).

  6. #6
    Big Dog TechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the rough
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Shreveport
    Posts
    957

    Re: Feedback on Tech's in Town Meetings 2024

    Quote Originally Posted by jycww View Post
    We ended up going last night, hoping to see people we knew from when we attended. That didn't happen, but I would say that they had around 150+ at the Dallas event (I am terrible at estimating, so could have been a bit more). Event was at the Whiskey Cake in Irving and it could have been a bit bigger in truth due to the turnout. While we didn't know anyone, they did call out Matt Stover (20+ years in NFL) at the event so that was cool.

    The coaches and administration walked in just about the time it was to start. Representing Tech was Dr Henderson, Ivey (AD), Cumbie (FB), Hester (MBB), Stoehr (WBB), Burroughs (Baseball) and McCray (Volleyball). So quite a few of the coaches attended the event. Although some said hi as they arrived and walked past the tables, they pretty quickly ended up in different parts of the area, congregating to those that they seemed to know. For sure, there was little to no "working the room". Hester stayed in the back with about 4-5 people that he seemed to know for the event. Stoehr and Burroughs seemed to stay together most of the time, engaging with a few people that came up to them. For me, I expected more interaction, but this may have been a chance for them to catch up with old acquaintances. Cumbie's parents were there (driving in from Ft Worth), and he spent a good deal of time initially with them.

    As the evening started, Cumbie got up to speak. He spoke for no more than 5 minutes and really didn't cover anything of significance with the FB team. He mentioned that the players were in conditioning at this time, and spoke of the 2 football camps currently underway (one last week and one up coming). He did mention Nicholls St as the first game, but that's about it. I think I expected more from him. Next was Dr Henderson and this was the first time I had heard him speak. He greeted everyone to the event, spoke about the video board that is at Tech and also mentioned both current and upcoming construction at the University. He was very engaging and I thought it went well. He worked the room when he arrived and through the entire event so was very impressed. Next, Ivey spoke for a short time. First time I had heard him and he was pretty good. He asked 3 things of those in attendance: To be present at the sporting events, to give $$ when able, and to represent Tech by wearing Tech merch letting people see and hear more about Tech. Not sure what I really expected, but his 5 min talk was good. All in all, I would say the speakers talked for about 15 minutes or so (give or take).

    As Ivey walked past as he finished, I was able to stop him and ask a question about CUSA. I asked if he thought CUSA was viable and how he saw Tech fitting in going forward. While I didn't expect a newsflash answer, I did feel his answer was interesting. He said "CUSA is the right answer for La Tech today. We will have to see if it is for tomorrow". He mentioned the ever changing landscape in college athletics and stated that this is something he continues to monitor on a daily basis. I guess you can read into that whatever you want.

    I was disappointed that the other coaches did not talk. As I said, none seemed to work the room as I had expected. They said hello as they entered together (apparently traveling to Dallas together), but beyond that, I didn't notice that much interaction. They seemed to speak to those they were familiar with, although did see a couple of people walk up to Stoehr and Burroughs. I found the most engaging coach was McCray, who went to multiple tables, saying hello and engaging with many.

    Another disappointment was that there was zero merch (caps, shirts, etc.) for sale. In a previous event a few years ago in Houston, they had setup a table and sold quite a bit of stuff. This would have been a perfect opportunity for those in Dallas to buy a bit (certainly not available in Dallas), but because there was nothing for sale, it didn't happen. I felt this was a missed opportunity. Only Tech stuff to grab at the event was a few koozies with Tech logo on it. I had just expected more.

    All in all, it was enjoyable, but definitely wished I could have heard the other coaches speak.
    I went to the Tech in Town in Shreveport. As expected alot people there. Set up with speakers was basically the same. All the coaches were there except the Golf coach, Soccer coach and Softball coach. President Henderson mentioned 5 year contract for Coach Burroughs.

  7. #7
    Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Western Ouachita Parish
    Posts
    20,314

    Re: Feedback on Tech's in Town Meetings 2024

    Quote Originally Posted by jycww View Post
    We ended up going last night, hoping to see people we knew from when we attended. That didn't happen, but I would say that they had around 150+ at the Dallas event (I am terrible at estimating, so could have been a bit more). Event was at the Whiskey Cake in Irving and it could have been a bit bigger in truth due to the turnout. While we didn't know anyone, they did call out Matt Stover (20+ years in NFL) at the event so that was cool.

    The coaches and administration walked in just about the time it was to start. Representing Tech was Dr Henderson, Ivey (AD), Cumbie (FB), Hester (MBB), Stoehr (WBB), Burroughs (Baseball) and McCray (Volleyball). So quite a few of the coaches attended the event. Although some said hi as they arrived and walked past the tables, they pretty quickly ended up in different parts of the area, congregating to those that they seemed to know. For sure, there was little to no "working the room". Hester stayed in the back with about 4-5 people that he seemed to know for the event. Stoehr and Burroughs seemed to stay together most of the time, engaging with a few people that came up to them. For me, I expected more interaction, but this may have been a chance for them to catch up with old acquaintances. Cumbie's parents were there (driving in from Ft Worth), and he spent a good deal of time initially with them.

    As the evening started, Cumbie got up to speak. He spoke for no more than 5 minutes and really didn't cover anything of significance with the FB team. He mentioned that the players were in conditioning at this time, and spoke of the 2 football camps currently underway (one last week and one up coming). He did mention Nicholls St as the first game, but that's about it. I think I expected more from him. Next was Dr Henderson and this was the first time I had heard him speak. He greeted everyone to the event, spoke about the video board that is at Tech and also mentioned both current and upcoming construction at the University. He was very engaging and I thought it went well. He worked the room when he arrived and through the entire event so was very impressed. Next, Ivey spoke for a short time. First time I had heard him and he was pretty good. He asked 3 things of those in attendance: To be present at the sporting events, to give $$ when able, and to represent Tech by wearing Tech merch letting people see and hear more about Tech. Not sure what I really expected, but his 5 min talk was good. All in all, I would say the speakers talked for about 15 minutes or so (give or take).

    As Ivey walked past as he finished, I was able to stop him and ask a question about CUSA. I asked if he thought CUSA was viable and how he saw Tech fitting in going forward. While I didn't expect a newsflash answer, I did feel his answer was interesting. He said "CUSA is the right answer for La Tech today. We will have to see if it is for tomorrow". He mentioned the ever changing landscape in college athletics and stated that this is something he continues to monitor on a daily basis. I guess you can read into that whatever you want.

    I was disappointed that the other coaches did not talk. As I said, none seemed to work the room as I had expected. They said hello as they entered together (apparently traveling to Dallas together), but beyond that, I didn't notice that much interaction. They seemed to speak to those they were familiar with, although did see a couple of people walk up to Stoehr and Burroughs. I found the most engaging coach was McCray, who went to multiple tables, saying hello and engaging with many.

    Another disappointment was that there was zero merch (caps, shirts, etc.) for sale. In a previous event a few years ago in Houston, they had setup a table and sold quite a bit of stuff. This would have been a perfect opportunity for those in Dallas to buy a bit (certainly not available in Dallas), but because there was nothing for sale, it didn't happen. I felt this was a missed opportunity. Only Tech stuff to grab at the event was a few koozies with Tech logo on it. I had just expected more.

    All in all, it was enjoyable, but definitely wished I could have heard the other coaches speak.
    Thanks for making the effort to write this detailed report.
    It's the football coach's turn this time of the year to begin his pep talk to the fans. Since we don't (for some reason) have The Happening in Monroe anymore, chances are few and far between for direct contact with the fans before the first cointoss.
    Last edited by Dawgpix; 06-24-2024 at 12:04 PM.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

  8. #8
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    57,730

    Re: Feedback on Tech's in Town Meetings 2024

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Since we don't (for some reason) don't have The Happening in Monroe anymore,
    It was a grass roots thing. Tech's former leaders hated anything grass roots like the tailgating that had been growing since the mid 80s.

    The Happening also worked and stoked up season ticket sales.

    I wonder how season ticket sales have been going for the past 10 years.

  9. #9
    Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    19,263

    Re: Feedback on Tech's in Town Meetings 2024

    Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    It was a grass roots thing. Tech's former leaders hated anything grass roots like the tailgating that had been growing since the mid 80s.

    The Happening also worked and stoked up season ticket sales.

    I wonder how season ticket sales have been going for the past 10 years.


    At one point this worked out perfect,

    Spring - Tech-N-Tails
    Summer - Tech in Town tour
    End of Summer - The Happening

  10. #10
    Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Western Ouachita Parish
    Posts
    20,314

    Re: Feedback on Tech's in Town Meetings 2024

    Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    At one point this worked out perfect,

    Spring - Tech-N-Tails
    Summer - Tech in Town tour
    End of Summer - The Happening
    Yep.
    The development hired guns making the decisions thinking we worked for them.
    Last edited by Dawgpix; 06-25-2024 at 05:46 PM.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

  11. #11
    Varsity Bulldog Exes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really nice
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    273

    Re: Feedback on Tech's in Town Meetings 2024

    Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    It was a grass roots thing. Tech's former leaders hated anything grass roots like the tailgating that had been growing since the mid 80s.

    The Happening also worked and stoked up season ticket sales.

    I wonder how season ticket sales have been going for the past 10 years.

    Dont see how they could have increased as our total ticket sales for every athletic event has dwindled to just around $1.5 million. This includes football, baseball, basketball, and all others. If all the attendance numbers are correct then a lot of folks are getting in free.

  12. #12
    Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Western Ouachita Parish
    Posts
    20,314

    Re: Feedback on Tech's in Town Meetings 2024

    Quote Originally Posted by Exes&Ohs View Post
    Dont see how they could have increased as our total ticket sales for every athletic event has dwindled to just around $1.5 million. This includes football, baseball, basketball, and all others. If all the attendance numbers are correct then a lot of folks are getting in free.
    staying home watching on the Telly.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

  13. #13
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    57,730

    Re: Feedback on Tech's in Town Meetings 2024

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    staying home watching on the Telly.
    Yes we get “national exposure” for the games and we also get those two lame ass commercials (60 seconds total?) for each game… as a result our student attendance is growing by leaps and bounds and we get more government money. Judy is doing a great job for us.

  14. #14
    Champ Bill Brasky has a reputation beyond reputeBill Brasky has a reputation beyond reputeBill Brasky has a reputation beyond reputeBill Brasky has a reputation beyond reputeBill Brasky has a reputation beyond reputeBill Brasky has a reputation beyond reputeBill Brasky has a reputation beyond reputeBill Brasky has a reputation beyond reputeBill Brasky has a reputation beyond reputeBill Brasky has a reputation beyond reputeBill Brasky has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Closer to Ruston
    Posts
    2,402

    Re: Feedback on Tech's in Town Meetings 2024

    Quote Originally Posted by jycww View Post

    Another disappointment was that there was zero merch (caps, shirts, etc.) for sale. In a previous event a few years ago in Houston, they had setup a table and sold quite a bit of stuff. This would have been a perfect opportunity for those in Dallas to buy a bit (certainly not available in Dallas), but because there was nothing for sale, it didn't happen. I felt this was a missed opportunity. Only Tech stuff to grab at the event was a few koozies with Tech logo on it. I had just expected more.
    IMHO the merch is garbage. The B&N spirit store has an awful selection. If Ivey wants us to wear sh*t, license with reputable brands get us authentic Adidas gear. And for the Love of God, bring back the State-T without "la tech"

    Texas doesn't need to muck up the longhorn and we don't need to muck up the State-T. It stands alone.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts