+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The real Bicknell returns

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Re: The real Bicknell returns

I read an article by a UTEP player that said that everything is different since Mike Price. Everything is structured and discplined. He even has a certain structure for sidelines. That's what we lack. No structure...No discipline. New coach please!

Varsity Bulldog gbg001 isn't thought very highly of around heregbg001 isn't thought very highly of around heregbg001 isn't thought very highly of around heregbg001 isn't thought very highly of around heregbg001 isn't thought very highly of around here

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad
    I read an article by a UTEP player that said that everything is different since Mike Price. Everything is structured and discplined. He even has a certain structure for sidelines. That's what we lack. No structure...No discipline. New coach please!

Amen! I dont care what these other posters post, we lost this game because of one thing............UTEP has better coaching than La.Tech. I watched Price the whole game and he NEVER EVER looked worried or got too down or too high. His team reflected his personality. It seemed if as they always knew they would pull it out even when they were down by a touchdown. I wish we had gotten Mike Price. I dont care how many strip clubs he goes to because that kinda crap doesn't mean anything on the field. UTEP has good days ahead if he stays which further legitimizes CUSA decisions to pick UTEP over us.

As for the game, It may seem that Kubik is the answer, in reality, he is not. He aims his throws (which is the reason for nearly all of his interceptions) and he just completely breaks down if he can not find his primary receivers. Coaching can cure this but I have no confidence in that area of the team. Moats was ineffective (by his standards) because he was hurt AND because of UTEP's game plan. They were going to make us beat them by throwing which was not going to happen. (I just can't believe I'm saying that about a La.Tech team). We got killed in Special teams. Our defense was ok but the offense putting them in bad situations caused them to break down. The defense didn't put that much pressure on the quarterback either. I forgot to mention UTEP's redzone defense was excellent!

Hat's off to UTEP as they stood up well vs the WAC elite and I hope they do well in their bowl game. I have new respect for UTEP. As for us, there will be no bowl game. I know that I will be criticized for that comment but bring it on! We had our chance. We are not going to beat Boise. Lie to yourselves if you want.......it is not going to happen. Hawaii will be a huge challenge on the island and Rice's running backs will be glad to see us in Houston.

The Bowl Teams will be:
    Boise Humanitarian or better
    UTEP Hawaii Bowl
    Fresno Silicon (Because that bowl wants them)

I think it's time to look forward to the Lady Techsters again and I'm ready!
    Under every Bush there is dirt. :icon_wink

Champ playdablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of light playdablues's Avatar

Someone said that discipline ( or a lack thereof ) didn't contribute to our penalty problem. I have to disagree. How many false starts did we have? How many of those false starts were on freakin' WIDE RECEIVERS?

Speaking of wide receivers, this may be some of the fastest we've had. Unfortunately, they may also be the worst we've had at Tech since pre-Bobby Slaughter.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Most posters agree, gbg, we were out-coached yesterday. But then again, that's like saying the sun rises in the east. Heck, we know that too!

It's not just the coaching that occurs during the game, in fact, most of our coaching problems stem from the Monday-Friday timeframe, not what happens on Saturday.

I'm sorry that I keep referring back to my high school days (nostalgic, so sue me!) but I give ALL THE CREDIT to our coaches. We knew exactly what to do, in every situation, against every opponent. We knew that from watching HOURS of game films with our position coaches during the week, from practicing it for hours during the week, and from hitting each other for hours during the week too. The games were easy...compared to our practices.

Do the Tech players watch game films with the coaches? Surely, they must.

Bottom line, Tech needs a coaching change. Whether anyone we get will end up better than Bicknell is not the point. The point is Bick has long ago worn out his welcome. Sometimes a change does good, just because it is a change. A new coach can come in, keep what's been working, tweak some things, and completely overhaul most everything else! Fresh ideas, a fresh approach works wonders.

Under Bick, with our schedule, which is a tough slate(toughest in Tech history) we are looking at 4-8, 5-7 type seasons year after year after year. So what if we take a chance on a coach and we go 3-9 instead? Big deal. Losing seasons won't get it done. And that's all we can expect with Bick.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by playdablues
    Someone said that discipline ( or a lack thereof ) didn't contribute to our penalty problem. I have to disagree. How many false starts did we have? How many of those false starts were on freakin' WIDE RECEIVERS?

Speaking of wide receivers, this may be some of the fastest we've had. Unfortunately, they may also be the worst we've had at Tech since pre-Bobby Slaughter.
    Not sure what you meant by "worst we've had....since pre-Bobby Slaughter." Are you saying this current group is somehow better than a group from the 1980's are beyond? If so, no sir! This current crop is by-far the absolute worst we've ever had at Tech. My gosh, before Bobby Slaughter (and "Touchdown" Eddie Brown) we had guys like Leland Pageant, Billy Ryckman, Mike Sherman, ....ah, someone help me, I am so upset I can't think straight right now!

Catching the football at Tech, by WRs, has always been as automatic as breathing. Yes, some guys weren't big on the YAC, but they caught the damn ball when it touched their hands!

I know why Pat Tilley got frustrated and blurted out, "just catch the ball!" You know he loves Tech and you know he understands the first responsibility of any WR is to catch the damn ball!

Champ playdablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of light playdablues's Avatar

Thumbs Down Re: The real Bicknell returns

The decision to try and pass the ball with :25 seconds left in the first half and no timeouts was freakishly-bone-headed at best. Completely asinine. The coaching staff gave UTEP 3 pts.

Take a knee, and that takes those 3 pts away. Would that have made a difference in the game late, with the score now 27-27? Probably not with the egg our team laid yesterday...but you never know.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by playdablues
    The decision to try and pass the ball with :25 seconds left in the first half and no timeouts was freakishly-bone-headed at best. Completely asinine. The coaching staff gave UTEP 3 pts.

Take a knee, and that takes those 3 pts away. Would that have made a difference in the game late, with the score now 27-27? Probably not with the egg our team laid yesterday...but you never know.
    And if we had somehow scored, it could have been a game changing play. You roll the dice and take your chances. I was not listening to the game at the time, but from what I read, the real problem was a long return that put them in scoring position.

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

I agree with most of the posts here, I've been one of the biggest critics of Bick since hes been here and UTEP was a horrible game coaching wise, playing wise, just about every way possible it sucked. I also agree that he should go, but I would like to give him credit for one thing: HE CALLED THE FIRST TRICK PLAY IN HIS 5 YEARS HERE, and look what happened, TD! Maybe if he would learn to take more risks like that, he would have more success. That wouldn't help him be a better motivator, but it could win a game for us somewhere down the road. Hopefully it will be a new coach calling it though.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaPup
    ... Hopefully it will be a new coach calling it though.
    I think you can leave out the Hopefully part. Only question is WHEN ???

Sooner the Better, jmo

Varsity Bulldog gbg001 isn't thought very highly of around heregbg001 isn't thought very highly of around heregbg001 isn't thought very highly of around heregbg001 isn't thought very highly of around heregbg001 isn't thought very highly of around here

Quote Originally Posted by nadB
    I think you can leave out the Hopefully part. Only question is WHEN ???

Sooner the Better, jmo

For those of you hoping that Bicknell leaves..........good luck to ya. He aint going anywhere with that win over Fresno and all he has to do is win two more games and he'll assuredly be the coach next year.

Since I graduated from Tech in 2000, I've seen Boise become a power and now annually ranked team, I've seen a team in Troy that appears out of nowhere, I've seen UTEP rise from dead in football, and I've seen a passing attack that was known as one of the country's best not even be the 4th or 5th best in the WAC. Add to that the future of La.Tech football doesnt look promising. Moats won't be around forever (maybe not even next year) and you take Moat from this team and you've go ULM and ULL material. It's back to cheering for LSU for this dawg and I dont care whether you people like it or not!
    Under every Bush there is dirt. :icon_wink

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

It's back to cheering for LSU for this dawg and I dont care whether you people like it or not!
    We dont. Please see yourself to the door. If you cant stick with Tech through the hard times, you never were a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967
    We dont. Please see yourself to the door. If you cant stick with Tech through the hard times, you never were a fan.
    The "gbg" is short for garbage.

Hard times? Yep, all the years of Bick's tenure have been and will be hard times. Hopefully, 20 years from now we can look back and say, wow, we really sucked during the Bicknell era, but our new guy, Coach Hogdawg, has us in the Top 15 again and bowl-bound!

What's amazing, is back in 1979 we fired Larry Beightol (sp?) after just 10 games (2-8) but really, that team would whip this bunch. At least they played defense!

Why are we(the admin) so tolerant of a loser coach now? I don't get it.

Thumbs Down Re: The real Bicknell returns

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown
    And if we had somehow scored, it could have been a game changing play. You roll the dice and take your chances. I was not listening to the game at the time, but from what I read, the real problem was a long return that put them in scoring position.
    Fine, you and Bick can roll the dice. You'll crap out most of the time, just like saturday.

What are the odds of scoring from your own 20 with 25 seconds to go and no time outs?

I don't know what long return you're talking about...Kubik threw a pick from our 20 and set up a field goal for them at the end of the 1st half.

If you don't know what I'm talking about and you weren't "listening to the game at the time" why are you even replying to what I posted?

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

'Blues, I went back and checked the record and you are correct. It was a 9 yard pass and a 8 yard return. My mistake.
    Last edited by hookdown; 10-25-2004 at 10:49 PM.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80
    but our new guy, Coach Hogdawg, has us in the Top 15 again and bowl-bound!
    Now THAT'S a great idea.

HD

+ Reply to Thread