+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN comments on coaching

Big Dog JL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the rough

ESPN comments on coaching

Trev and Mark were asked about Zook's future Saturday night. There response was that he has excellent recruiting classes, but has not gotten the job done. His teams look unprepared for the task at hand. He has not developed the great talent that he has brought to Florida.

Hmmm. Sounds like another situation I know about.

Champ rphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the rough rphdawg's Avatar

Re: ESPN comments on coaching

I watched the UTEP game 3 times on TIVO since our lost.

2 things stick out in my mind:
    1) Poor Coaching
    2) DB who took Wishom place ,won't name names, getting burned consistently all night. Price went after him like a good coach would.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL
    Trev and Mark were asked about Zook's future Saturday night. There response was that he has excellent recruiting classes, but has not gotten the job done. His teams look unprepared for the task at hand. He has not developed the great talent that he has brought to Florida.

Hmmm. Sounds like another situation I know about.
    I'm not even sure about Bicknell's "recruiting" classes anymore.

This past Sunday, the Dallas Morning News printed it's annual Top 100 AREA, STATE and NATIONAL recruits list. This is the first year I remember Louisiana Tech not getting one single mention as a possible choice of a Top 100 Area player. That's not good. The year LA Tech signed Luke McCown, Chris Van Hoy, Aaron Capps, et al, (Feb 2000?), Tech was the choice of EIGHT (8) Top 100 Dallas Area recruits.

Yes, it's true that reality will set in for some recruits as the recruiting season progresses and some MIGHT come around to choose Tech. Afterall, some will realize that their best option is a WAC or CUSA school because Notre Dame and Texas are no longer calling.

But there's no question that Bicknell's recruiting success in Texas has diminished over the past 5 years.

HD

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Bicknell's recruiting classes, suspect at best anyway, have diminished for the following reasons: 3-9, 7-5, 4-8, 5-7, now 4-4.

Hmmmm, if you were a good HS player, would you want to go to a program that can't win and go to a bowl?

The luster that was the Crowton era, topped off by the Top 25 appearance in 1999, and yes! that was still Crowton's team led by Tim Rattay, has faded.

Just like Keith Richard has grinded MBB into mediocrity, so too has Jack Bicknell undone the work of Crowton. If you are a Baylor or Vandy or Duke (though great in MBB) or even a BYU-type, you can endure bad coaching for short periods of time. But I've said all along that Louisiana Tech has NO margin of error. We have to get it absolutely right or we will suffer. And, we have. We missed the cut on CUSA and that blame can be layed at the feet of Richard and Bicknell.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Great post 80. I agree with all of it except the last statement. CUSA doesn't care about winning. The blame for that goes to Oakes and Reneau.

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Adrian Gonzalez was also on that list.

Champ playdablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of light playdablues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80
    Just like Keith Richard has grinded MBB into mediocrity, so too has Jack Bicknell undone the work of Crowton. ........ We missed the cut on CUSA and that blame can be layed at the feet of Richard and Bicknell.
    D80, I enjoy your posts and you'll never hear me sing the praises of Bicknell. That being said, I couldn't disagree more regarding your statements about Richard. Tech went 61-105 over the six year period prior to Richard's tenure as head coach. Since his hire, we've gone 106-69.

Big Dog JL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the roughJL is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    I'm not even sure about Bicknell's "recruiting" classes anymore.

This past Sunday, the Dallas Morning News printed it's annual Top 100 AREA, STATE and NATIONAL recruits list. This is the first year I remember Louisiana Tech not getting one single mention as a possible choice of a Top 100 Area player. That's not good. The year LA Tech signed Luke McCown, Chris Van Hoy, Aaron Capps, et al, (Feb 2000?), Tech was the choice of EIGHT (8) Top 100 Dallas Area recruits.

Yes, it's true that reality will set in for some recruits as the recruiting season progresses and some MIGHT come around to choose Tech. Afterall, some will realize that their best option is a WAC or CUSA school because Notre Dame and Texas are no longer calling.

But there's no question that Bicknell's recruiting success in Texas has diminished over the past 5 years.

HD
    Make that two years in a row. I did not see anyone last year that had Tech listed. I was hoping that it was just a one year fluke.

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Bicknell's recruiting classes, suspect at best anyway, have diminished for the following reasons: 3-9, 7-5, 4-8, 5-7, now 4-4.

Hmmmm, if you were a good HS player, would you want to go to a program that can't win and go to a bowl?

The luster that was the Crowton era, topped off by the Top 25 appearance in 1999, and yes! that was still Crowton's team led by Tim Rattay, has faded.

Just like Keith Richard has grinded MBB into mediocrity, so too has Jack Bicknell undone the work of Crowton. If you are a Baylor or Vandy or Duke (though great in MBB) or even a BYU-type, you can endure bad coaching for short periods of time. But I've said all along that Louisiana Tech has NO margin of error. We have to get it absolutely right or we will suffer. And, we have. We missed the cut on CUSA and that blame can be layed at the feet of Richard and Bicknell.
    Nail struck firmly on the head here. I shutter to think of 2006-2007 at this point....2005 is looking bad enough.

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Just think of the amount of players leaving this year... it's horrible... heck, even on my NCAA 2005 game on XBox, I had a hell of a time the second and third seasons in dynasty mode because of it. Plus, Moats went to the NFL, along with a couple of defensive guys... heh heh

Varsity Bulldog Techfan is an unknown

Just like Keith Richard has grinded MBB into mediocrity...
    Ummm, I'm not the biggest fan, but we're by far the best we've been since Eagles. So you can't say he's "grinding us down." Jerry Lloyd did that, I think it's safe to say.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

We had nobody on the DMN Top100 list last year, but there is a Top100 recruit this year.
    Ray Sims, 6'-0" 208 DB, Corsicana (HS), TX.
    Considering Ark, Kansas, LA Tech, Utah, and others.

I guess you could say that our recruiting in Dallas has actually increased this year. Let's wait and see how many we have on the list in January '05, because the October '04 list & $0.50 won't buy a cup of coffee.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin
    We had nobody on the DMN Top100 list last year, but there is a Top100 recruit this year.
    Ray Sims, 6'-0" 208 DB, Corsicana (HS), TX.
    Considering Ark, Kansas, LA Tech, Utah, and others.

I guess you could say that our recruiting in Dallas has actually increased this year. Let's wait and see how many we have on the list in January '05, because the October '04 list & $0.50 won't buy a cup of coffee.
    My apologies for missing Sims. I sure didn't see him on the Top 100 list. What number was he?

HD

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Not too hard to figure our TX recruiting would go down the tubes since we won't be playing there or playing teams from there any more after this season ??

Mebbe we should be recruiting in Idaho and Hawaii and Utah and New Mexico and Nevada ??

jmo

Big Dog b_hoss_mac is an unknown

Our Texas recruiting hasn't gone down ... our Dallas recruiting has.

Now we are trying to start a pipeline in Houston. Personally, I wouldn't mind getting half our roster from these two places. We need to recruit BOTH areas well. If we could get a quarter of our roster from North La., South La., Houston and Dallas ... I think we'd field a solid squad every single year.

+ Reply to Thread