+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Players Feel Differently About the Firing

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

Florida Players Feel Differently About the Firing

It looks like the Florida players aren't taking this firing too well. Maybe because of the timing (before the Georgia game)...or maybe because they really like Zook. Either way...it seems like a bad situation all around.

From ESPN.com
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1910112

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- The decision to fire Florida coach Ron Zook was welcomed by Gator fans around the country.

It didn't get the same reception in the locker room.

Players strongly defended their coach Tuesday and chastised athletic director Jeremy Foley for the timing of the move.

"He basically just ripped the heart out of the team," safety Jarvis Herring said. "He kept saying it was all about the team, all about the team. No, it's not about the team. It's really about the damn boosters and the fans or whatever. That's all it's about. It's nothing about us. We're just in the middle. We're just trapped."

Zook held a team meeting Monday to inform the players of his dismissal, then gave the floor to Foley. What followed was another embarrassing scene in what has become a season filled with them for the Gators.

Some players yelled at Foley. Others got up and walked out.

"It got very heated," Herring said. "The questions only lasted 10 minutes. If it would've lasted any longer, there's no telling what might've happened."

Linebacker Travis Harris was one of the few players who stood up in the meeting and questioned Foley about the firing, which came five days before Florida's annual rivalry game against 10th-ranked Georgia.

"I just let him know that it wasn't well thought out," said Harris, a senior. "If a decision needs to be made, that's cool. But if the coach is going to remain the whole season, why put a damper on this year like that? Why not wait?

It got very heated. The questions only lasted 10 minutes. If it would've lasted any longer, there's no telling what might've happened.Safety Jarvis Herring

"I just don't understand that. It just felt like he was saying, 'Forget the rest of this season. I don't care what you guys think."

Harris said Foley never actually answered his question.

"He just gave me the run-around," Harris said. "He said you're entitled to your opinion. He felt like it was the best thing to do and blah, blah, blah."

It shouldn't be a surprise that the team backed Zook, a great recruiter who has often been criticized for being too close to his players.

He has been accused of being too lenient when handing down punishments, including recently when he didn't penalize three players involved in a fight with fraternity members on campus. Hours later, Zook showed up at the fraternity house and got into a shouting match with several students.

Standout linebacker Channing Crowder has been arrested twice in as many years, but was suspended just one game for each arrest.

There also was Zook's handling of suspensions to Jonathan Colon and Mo Mitchell, players kicked off the team in June 2003 for missing classes, tests and punishments. Zook let the team vote on whether they should be reinstated.

Ultimately, the Gators didn't get it done on the field.

But instead of trying to figure out why they haven't been able to stop the run, win close games or beat teams from Mississippi, the Gators spent Tuesday whining about Zook's firing.

"Some of the guys are really thinking about leaving," Herring said. "They're tired of some of the decisions being made upstairs by you know who."

Foley said he recognizes the players' frustration.

"I understand their disappointment and anger, and they are entitled to their opinion," he said. "They're close to their head coach, and I respect that."

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Florida Players Feel Differently About the Firing

"He basically just ripped the heart out of the team," safety Jarvis Herring said. "He kept saying it was all about the team, all about the team. No, it's not about the team. It's really about the damn boosters and the fans or whatever. That's all it's about. It's nothing about us. We're just in the middle. We're just trapped."

Kids say the dardnest things.

Finally, an AD who understands that "it's about the boosters and the fans". I just wish our AD understood that as well.

HD

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockdog
    "Some of the guys are really thinking about leaving," Herring said. "They're tired of some of the decisions being made upstairs by you know who."
    Hey guys, we've got some scholarships available for next year!!!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown
    Hey guys, we've got some scholarships available for next year!!!
    If I was the Florida AD I'd be laughing in those kids faces. They aren't going anywhere....they are just spoiled young men acting silly. They attend a fine university in a great state that has widespread fan support and nice TV appeal. UF also packs about 90K in their home stadium ("The Swamp") every Saturday and has a reasonable chance at a national championship every year.

On on top of all that, they'll probably end up with Steve Spurrior as their coach again.

When you consider all these factors, I honestly don't know how Foley (the Florida AD) kept from laughing in those kids faces. Heck, just show their asses the door, Foley, and they'll come crawling back on their knees in less than a week.

HD

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Sounds as though those youngsters were angry enough to play catch with AD if he had been a smart-aleck with them.

It would be difficult to explain why the coach was fired in mid-season except for the one given: Rude, crude, stupid fans, who don't deserve to get Spurrier back.

If coaches had a union, maybe the UF would have to go without a coach for three years and fire the AD immediately. NO one should accept a job to replace someone who is needlessly humiliated by such a firing.

Zook may go elsewhere and turn some team around as Price has done in El Paso.

Even Spurrier can't be confident of quickly producing high BCS ranking next season.
    Only half the teams can have a winning record in a given year. The rest are likely to change coaches.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aubunique
    It would be difficult to explain why the coach was fired in mid-season except for the one given: Rude, crude, stupid fans, who don't deserve to get Spurrier back.
    right on the money, aub. if you are going to keep him around till the end of the season, wait till then to fire him. this was just a case of the AD caring more about what the boosters think about him than he cares about what is good for the young men on the team and the good name of the university.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Maybe Zook couldn't meet Florida's expectations, but I bet he could meet ours. Hell, I'd be happy with a coach that the players liked...I think we should give ole Zook a call. With our AD, we'll probably play all the teams in Florida next year for our OCC, so he could get some revenge.

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of those situations in which I wish players could opt out of their scholarship penalty free. Most of these kids agreed to play for Coach Ron Zook...so now that Zook is being fired what now? I think they should be able to transfer "penalty free". Just my two cents.

Champ dawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud of

The UF players are emotional young men... Yes, they agreed to play for Zook -- but do you think they'll still be PO'd next year when they are playing in the SEC championship game with Spurrier? I think not. Winning cures a lot of ills and changes a lot of attitudes.

Big Dog Easydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the rough Easydawg's Avatar

I know what most of the faithful fans think about JBIII, JO and DR. Or at least the majority. Anyway, I wonder what our players think about Bick and the rest of the coaching staff?

Sure Zook was not meeting the very high expectations of their fans, but the straw was losing to a far less talented, inferior team. An embarassing loss not only for their fans, but the players as well. Our administration should take note.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Easydawg
    I know what most of the faithful fans think about JBIII, JO and DR. Or at least the majority. Anyway, I wonder what our players think about Bick and the rest of the coaching staff?

Sure Zook was not meeting the very high expectations of their fans, but the straw was losing to a far less talented, inferior team. An embarassing loss not only for their fans, but the players as well. Our administration should take note.
    i am glad jim oaks has the integrity to do what he thinks is right regardless of what the fans think. i just hope he has the sense to know when it IS the right time to fire the coach. in my opinion that time will be at the end of this season, unless we win a bowl game. i can think of very few reasons that it would ever be necessary to fire a coach in mid-season. and most of those reasons would involve the coach serving jail time.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob
    i am glad jim oaks has the integrity to do what he thinks is right regardless of what the fans think. i just hope he has the sense to know when it IS the right time to fire the coach. in my opinion that time will be at the end of this season, unless we win a bowl game. i can think of very few reasons that it would ever be necessary to fire a coach in mid-season. and most of those reasons would involve the coach serving jail time.
    The right time has come and gone. It was last December.

Quote Originally Posted by glm47
    The right time has come and gone. It was last December.
    you may be right, but j.o. had legit reasons for choosing to keep him around another year. this year he won't have any such excuse, unless bicknell really turns things around in the last few games.

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob
    right on the money, aub. if you are going to keep him around till the end of the season, wait till then to fire him. this was just a case of the AD caring more about what the boosters think about him than he cares about what is good for the young men on the team and the good name of the university.
    Of course the Florida AD cares about the Boosters, they pay his salary. The boosters also fill the 90K seats each week and keep the money rolling in. The Boosters are the CUSTOMER.

Foley (the Florida AD) is smart enough to know that. You and Aubunique apparently aren't. For Foley to do nothing at this point would be the equivalent of career suicide.

We've grown to expect this kind of nonsense from Aubunique, but I was hoping Aub was the only BB&B guy in Arkansas that doesn't understand such simple business practices.

Those 2 two posts from you and Aub perfectly illustrate the difference between the fans of a REAL big time football school --like Florida-- and a pretender.

HD
    Last edited by HogDawg; 10-27-2004 at 10:45 PM.

Varsity Bulldog OkieDawg is a name known to allOkieDawg is a name known to allOkieDawg is a name known to allOkieDawg is a name known to allOkieDawg is a name known to allOkieDawg is a name known to allOkieDawg is a name known to allOkieDawg is a name known to allOkieDawg is a name known to allOkieDawg is a name known to allOkieDawg is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    Of course the Florida AD cares about the Boosters, they pay his salary. The boosters also fill the 90K seats each week and keep the money rolling in. The Boosters are the CUSTOMER.

Foley (the Florida AD) is smart enough to know that. You and Aubunique apparently aren't. For Foley to do nothing at this point would be the equivalent of career suicide.

We've grown to expect this kind of nonsense form Aubunique, but I was hoping Aub was the only BB&B guy in Arkansas that doesn't understand such simple business practices.

Those 2 two posts from you and Aub perfectly illustrate the difference between the fans of a REAL big time football school --like Florida-- and a pretender.

HD
    Don't hold back HD. Tell us what you really think!

+ Reply to Thread