+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's hire a former SEC head coach!!

Champ domangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond repute domangue's Avatar

Let's hire a former SEC head coach!!

Wow.... Look at all the available options!

Mike DuBose (0-2 vs. La Tech!)
    Jim Donnan
    Jackie Sherill
    Curly Hallman
    Terry Bowden
    Ron Zook

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Let's hire a former SEC head coach!!

Quote Originally Posted by domangue
    Wow.... Look at all the available options!

Mike DuBose (0-2 vs. La Tech!)
    Jim Donnan
    Jackie Sherill
    Curly Hallman
    Terry Bowden
    Ron Zook
    You've got to be kidding!!! We've already got a loser for a coach.

Big Dog Tech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really nice

I think that Jim Donnan should deserve some consideration. He was fired from Georgia after taking them to a 7-5 season and a Hawaii bowl win. Before that he was head coach at Marshall and took them to a 1-AA national championship. He is a proven winner and has expierence at the mid-major and major coaching.

As for the rest, I wouldn't touch them.

Varsity Bulldog DawginBR is an unknown

Curly Hallman?????

You are CRAZY, sir!

Big Dog b_hoss_mac is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tech XXIX
    I think that Jim Donnan should deserve some consideration. He was fired from Georgia after taking them to a 7-5 season and a Hawaii bowl win. Before that he was head coach at Marshall and took them to a 1-AA national championship. He is a proven winner and has expierence at the mid-major and major coaching.

As for the rest, I wouldn't touch them.
    I like Donnan and think he'd be a great coach here. He has had some wonderful things to say about Ryan and some disparaging remarks about our scheduling.

But I want to point something out here. I've read on this board many times fans trashing Bicknell about how he only has one winning season ... and that one season he "just" went 7-5 and we didn't really beat anyone all year.

Now here's Donnan who went 7-5 with an SEC school, but he's good enough for us to get??? He took them to the Hawaii Bowl, which meant they finished 6th or 7th (maybe even worse) in the SEC that year.

Isn't that just a little hypocritical? (Yes, I know, it's the other five seasons that have most fans wanting Bicknell gone. ZERO winning seasons. Just wondering what is the HUGE fascination with Donnan.)

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

B Hoss, look at the 7 wins and the 5 losses that season. There probably weren't any losses to a team as poor as Hawaii is this season. Also, I believe he was 40-19 during his time at Georgia. He averaged 10 wins a year at Marshall.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

At 60 years old, Donnan might not be interested in taking over a rebuilding job at Tech.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

B Hoss,

JBIII wouldn't have even gone 7-5 with that Georgia team. Donnan proved that he could coach a team with less talent, for the SEC level, than he was facing and produce a winner. Some of his recruits, I believe the current UGA qb is one of his, have been the building blocks to their recent success.

JBIII has proven quite the opposite. He has taken teams that have as good or better talent than most of the teams he faces, conference wise not Miami etc, and consistently under performed, and been out coached.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Not that I want him but here are a few things about Donnan. Please dont compare a 7-5 SEC record with our records even though we should be an honorary member.

Georgia has also finished the last three seasons with national rankings in the top 16 (10th in ’97; 14th in ’98, and 16th in ’99). In addition, Georgia has set two home game attendance marks in the past two seasons averaging 85,618 per game in 1998 and in 1999 sold out every home game for an average of 86,117 — fifth best in the country.

1996 5-6 3-5 (4th East)
    1997 10-2 6-2 (2nd East)Outback Bowl
    1998 8-3 6-2 (3rd East)Peach Bowl
    1999 8-4 5-3 (3rd East)Outback Bowl

Totals 32-15 20-12

These were his records also prior to the 2000 season. He ended 40-19 according to records.

DD,

I know Donnan's record. Just trying to stir the pot a bit. Jack needs some friends nowadays anyway. :icon_wink

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by b_hoss_mac
    DD,

I know Donnan's record. Just trying to stir the pot a bit. Jack needs some friends nowadays anyway. :icon_wink
    Give me a break dude. I can tell you're fresh out of school. This is the real world. Perform or join the unemployment line.

I doubt that applies to the RDL though, in 30 years of reading that sorry excuse for a newspaper there have been very few, if any, instances where the RDL took a controversial position. In fact I seem to remember Buddy Davis publishing an article last year supporting Tech's position retaining Bicknell.

THe RDL also published an editorial praising Oakes and Reneau for all their hard work and effort to get us in CUSA. What a joke?

But then when Ruston High wants to fire a coach who won what, 60% of his games, hey, that's okay. RDL supports that position. Puzzling to me.

Big Dog Tech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really nice

b-hoss,

I am not saying hire Jim Donnan, I don't think that he would be my first choice. What I am saying is I hope that we don't limit ourselves in our thinking of viable candidates. Sure a up and coming coach would be nice, or a coordinator from a BCS school, but a proven winner like Donnan, or a coach like him, would be a good move also.

Puppy cowboy is an unknown

Mike DuBose
    Jim Donnan
    Jackie Sherill
    Curly Hallman
    Terry Bowden
    Ron Zook

None of these caliber coaches will come to this rinky dink program.

Hal Mummee is my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by glm47
    Give me a break dude. I can tell you're fresh out of school. This is the real world. Perform or join the unemployment line.

I doubt that applies to the RDL though, in 30 years of reading that sorry excuse for a newspaper there have been very few, if any, instances where the RDL took a controversial position. In fact I seem to remember Buddy Davis publishing an article last year supporting Tech's position retaining Bicknell.

THe RDL also published an editorial praising Oakes and Reneau for all their hard work and effort to get us in CUSA. What a joke?

But then when Ruston High wants to fire a coach who won what, 60% of his games, hey, that's okay. RDL supports that position. Puzzling to me.
    glm,

I'm sorry you couldn't tell I was joking. I think most of the people can tell where I stand on the majority of issues, including this one.

In the end, Bicknell will be let go for the same reason Reeder was let go ... not because of how many games he won or lost, but because of general malaise in the program.

That's why Reeder had to go ... a negative attitude had surrounded Ruston's football program. The same thing has happened at Tech with Bicknell.

You can say what you want about The Leader ... I'm not the publisher, editor or Buddy Davis. I have my own opinions about issues, and that's what you should judge ME by.

I thought Reeder should go and support that decision. Bicknell has three games left this season. If he doesn't win all three, he needs to go.

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar

Hire Pat Tilley.

He knows how important Tech football tradition is to us, plus he's a no-nonsense guy who has been a winner on and off the field.

+ Reply to Thread