+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowl Situation

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Bowl Situation

Can any make sense of the bowl situation? If Boise, UTEP, Tech, and Fresno are the only teams with 6 wins at the end of the season, with Boise gettin an at large bid, would Tech play at Hawai'i? This is the situation right now:

UTEP (7-2)(5-1)
    vs. SMU
    at Tulsa

Nevada (5-5)(3-3)
    at Fresno
    vs. Boise

Fresno (6-3)(3-3)
    vs. Nevada
    at SJSU

Hawai'i (4-5)(4-4)
    vs. Idaho
    vs. Northwestern
    vs. Michigan St.

Boise (9-0)(6-0)
    vs. Tech
    at Nevada

Tech (5-5)(4-2)
    at Boise
    at Rice

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Re: Bowl Situation

What about the GMAC bowl in Alabama? Their website (www.gmacbowl.com) has conference affiliations as MAC, CUSA, and WAC. How does that work? Also, I've heard 6-6 teams are only bowl eligible if their are open slots. GAHHH!!! We need a playoff in college football!!

Champ dawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud of

I hate to say this, but -- if we win our last two games (a very big IF) and finish 7-5 -- we don't deserve to go bowling. Two games above .500? That's almost as embarassing as the networks showing Bicknell's win-loss record before every game.

Of course, I know I'll be slammed for making such a statement -- even though I'm right.
    Last edited by dawgtired; 11-14-2004 at 04:08 PM.

Champ mikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond repute mikedog's Avatar

Yea- you deserve to be slammed for such a statement. And no, you are not right. Tech lost 3 games to teams that they had no shot of beating. Two of them will be playing in the SEC championship, with Miami likely being the ACC champion. That means that Tech has lost only one game it should have one- Hawaii. UTEP was a toss up; it was a close game that could go either way if played again. Keep in mind that Tech was playing with an injured Moats against UTEP also. If Tech beats both Boise and Rice, Tech will go bowling, and they will deserve to go bowling. That being said, I have doubts that Tech will be within 20 pts of Boise at Boise.

Champ theinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her game

I saw a story recently that said since Tech played in 12 games we had to have seven wins to be bowl eligible. I am not sure if this is true.

I remember it has always been six wins against Division I-A schools.
    I also was wondering if BSU gets a higher rated bowl and goes there instead of a WAC bowl then Tech would have to have a chance at a WAC bowl I would think.

Varsity Bulldog CAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really nice CAJUNNATION's Avatar

If the bowl in Alabama needs a team, they won't have to look very far.

Troy Trojans

We played them yesterday, and their people were really fired up because they had heard "great things" from some bowl reps.

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Good God people, we are playing BOISE FREAKIN STATE in Boise this week! Then we have Rice in Houston, and God knows we cant stop the run.

This is all just a little bit premature, dont you think??

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNNATION
    If the bowl in Alabama needs a team, they won't have to look very far.

Troy Trojans

We played them yesterday, and their people were really fired up because they had heard "great things" from some bowl reps.
    The GMAC Bowl won't be looking to a Sun Belt school. It has tie-ins with CUSA and the MAC which will provide the teams.

As of now teams playing 12 games must finish 7-5 to be bowl-eligible unless there are not enough teams with winning records to fill all 56 bowl bids. Right now it appears there will be enough winning teams to fill the 56 bids with possibly several teams left over. Troy State will have to battle MAC schools for a bid since the MAC already has 5 eligible teams and may have 6 with just 2 automatic bids.

So for Tech that means 2 must-wins. 6-6 will not qualify.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altadawg
    Good God people, we are playing BOISE FREAKIN STATE in Boise this week! Then we have Rice in Houston, and God knows we cant stop the run.

This is all just a little bit premature, dont you think??
    Finally, a voice of reason. We just beat a very poor Tulsa team that had 4 turnovers. We had to use 2 onside kickoffs and a 15 yd. shanked punt that bounced off the shoulder pads of a Tulsa player that we recovered in order to beat these guys. We have nothing to hang our hat on with this victory.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88
    Finally, a voice of reason. We just beat a very poor Tulsa team that had 4 turnovers. We had to use 2 onside kickoffs and a 15 yd. shanked punt that bounced off the shoulder pads of a Tulsa player that we recovered in order to beat these guys. We have nothing to hang our hat on with this victory.
    I agree. Any talk of tech going to a bowl is total nonsense.

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47
    I agree. Any talk of tech going to a bowl is total nonsense.
    True. But I have a problem with anyone saying the guys don't DESERVE it.

After what these guys have gone through the last 3 seasons (including this one), they deserve a bowl game.

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulldawgs03
    Can any make sense of the bowl situation? If Boise, UTEP, Tech, and Fresno are the only teams with 6 wins at the end of the season, with Boise gettin an at large bid, would Tech play at Hawai'i? This is the situation right now:

UTEP (7-2)(5-1)
    vs. SMU
    at Tulsa

Nevada (5-5)(3-3)
    at Fresno
    vs. Boise

Fresno (6-3)(3-3)
    vs. Nevada
    at SJSU

Hawai'i (4-5)(4-4)
    vs. Idaho
    vs. Northwestern
    vs. Michigan St.

Boise (9-0)(6-0)
    vs. Tech
    at Nevada

Tech (5-5)(4-2)
    at Boise
    at Rice
    There is a very good chance that Hawaii and Nevada both will end up 5-7 and Boise will get a larger bowl - even if they lose to Tech.

That leaves UTEP, Fresno and a likely 6-6 Tech team for the 3 bowls reserved exclusively for the WAC.

We know where Fresno ends up and the WAC champ usually goes to Boise, which means a road trip to Hawaii for Tech.

There is little chance the Fort Worth or Alabama bowls will want a 6-6 mid-major.

2004 Bowl Confidence & 2006 NIT Bracket Champion hoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nice

Dream on

Champ bad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to all bad_man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by killerdawg
    True. But I have a problem with anyone saying the guys don't DESERVE it.

After what these guys have gone through the last 3 seasons (including this one), they deserve a bowl game.
    I disagree. After the last 3 seasons what these guys DESERVE is a new coach. Love for Tech aside, you have to (or at least should have to) earn a bowl spot.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88
    We have nothing to hang our hat on with this victory.
    When the game was over, our team had the most points. I'll hang my hat on a "W" anytime.

+ Reply to Thread