+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reputation Points

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Reputation Points

OK. I was a slow learner on the reputation points thing. Now, I'm curious how you really use it. A few questions:

1) When I click on the place where you give them on my own posts, it shows how many points I have. Is there a way to tell who gave them on what posts?

2) When you give points to someone else, it lets you add a comment. Is there a way for anyone to ever see those?

3) Is there a way to see how many points it takes to get the various phrases that go with the red or green squares (when you hold the mouse over them)?

Thanks

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

Re: Reputation Points

1 & 2) If you click on User CP, at the bottom it shows you how many points you have, as well as the 5 most recent reputation thingees you received, complete with comments if they left them. They are, however, anonymous.

What I've noticed is that it seems to be weighted. I've had people give me negative reputation, and I lost no points. However I had someone give me two negative reputations and I lost 30 points. Then, after just 3 positive rpeutations, I was back at 53.

So, I still dont know how it's calculated, exactly. I just know that I seem to be stocking up on positive reputation now that the election's over. Maybe I'll have enough built up to stay in the green through the 2008 campaign.

3) I dont know the levels either, but I think that Kat is the only one I've seen with 3 green dots, and gbg is the only one I've seen with more than one red.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker2
    1 & 2) If you click on User CP, at the bottom it shows you how many points you have, as well as the 5 most recent reputation thingees you received, complete with comments if they left them. They are, however, anonymous.

What I've noticed is that it seems to be weighted. I've had people give me negative reputation, and I lost no points. However I had someone give me two negative reputations and I lost 30 points. Then, after just 3 positive rpeutations, I was back at 53.

So, I still dont know how it's calculated, exactly. I just know that I seem to be stocking up on positive reputation now that the election's over. Maybe I'll have enough built up to stay in the green through the 2008 campaign.

3) I dont know the levels either, but I think that Kat is the only one I've seen with 3 green dots, and gbg is the only one I've seen with more than one red.
    Thanks. I've given you lots of good stuff - since the election's been over. You've been a good sport! I'll try to remember to start knocking you back down about 2006 or so :icon_wink .

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markay714
    Thanks. I've given you lots of good stuff - since the election's been over. You've been a good sport! I'll try to remember to start knocking you back down about 2006 or so :icon_wink .
    What are you talking about?!? We have to get him to four red dots...

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

OK. I was a slow learner on the reputation points thing. Now, I'm curious how you really use it. A few questions:

1) When I click on the place where you give them on my own posts, it shows how many points I have. Is there a way to tell who gave them on what posts?

2) When you give points to someone else, it lets you add a comment. Is there a way for anyone to ever see those?

3) Is there a way to see how many points it takes to get the various phrases that go with the red or green squares (when you hold the mouse over them)?

Thanks
    OK, you asked, so here it is. I probably need to do some more configuration to this, alot of it is default. This is going to get long and a lot of it is from the vBulletin manual and it was written for site administrators.

User Reputations:
    vBulletin's user reputation system provides a way of rating users based on the quality of their posts. Users on your forums can add or subtract reputation points from other users by clicking the reputation link in their posts. You can set restrictions on the giving and taking away of reputation points by users in your VBULLETIN OPTIONS.

User reputations allow the users in your community to tell vBulletin which users are quality and which users are not. And in response to user feedback, vBulletin has the ability to label and reward users for the quality of their posts, as is indicated by their reputation.

You can label quality users by defining reputation levels in the USER REPUTATION MANAGER. User reputation levels work very similar to user titles and user ranks in that they are an indicator of status that are displayed next to names in posts.

You can reward quality users by creating promotions on the PROMOTIONS page. Promotions are used to change a user's group memberships when they meet certain conditions, one of which can be their reputation level. Because forum permissions can be controlled with group memberships, a user's reputation in conjunction with promotions can be used to control a user's forum permissions. And so by using a combination of user reputations, promotions, and group permissions, you can enable your community to reward and punish good and bad posters on your forums.

All new members are given a reputation level of 10 to start.
    For every 180 days that you are registered on the site, you gain 1 point of reputation-altering power
    For every 100 posts that you make on the site, you gain 1 point of reputation-altering power
    For every 100 points of reputation, you gain 1 point of reputation-altering power
    A user must have 50 posts on the board before his reputation hits count on others
    A user must have a reputation of at least 10 for his reputation hits to count on others
    A user can give only 10 reputation hits in a 24 hour period
    A user must give a reputation to at least one OTHER person before you can click on the previous person again

The currently defined ranges are below.
    Minimum Reputation Level

-999999 Nobody cares what you think
    -50 isn't thought very highly of around here
    -10 is on the way down
    0 is an unknown
    10 has turned a few heads around here
    50 seems to have something between the ears
    150 is on top of his/her game
    250 is a jewel in the rough
    350 is just really nice
    450 is a glorious beacon of light
    550 is a name known to all
    650 is a splendid one to behold
    1000 has much to be proud of
    1500 has a brilliant future
    2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this helps.

TDF (Chris)

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

Thanks
    I see I didn't answer all your questions.

You can not see who gave the points or on what posts, I believe. Administrators can, but users can't. That could generate some REAL issues here on the board.

Yes, people can see the comments, but most people don't use it. If you can't see comments, it's because they didn't leave one.

See above with the ranges. I don't know at what points you get more squares, but I do know the red is reserved for those in the negative area.

Chris

Thanks. That's quite helpful....sort of explains the "weighting" that daybreaker noticed.

+ Reply to Thread