+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bicknell's Salary

Big Dog b_hoss_mac is an unknown

Re: Bicknell's Salary

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77
    B Hoss, while it wasn't what we wanted, the crowd for Miami was a GREAT crowd for anything held in Shreveport other than the Independence Bowl. The fact that Shreveport Times writers chose to crack on it just showed that they don't pay attention to what happens on a regular basis in their own city. My pictures of the crowd that night bear out that the attendance was very similar to many I Bowls of the last 10 years.
    It might have been a GREAT crowd for Shreveport, but we could have that SAME crowd in Ruston. The fact that 50,000 people in Shreveport didn't want to come out and see the defending national champions SAYS A LOT about that city.

I knew from that game (even though I was NEVER a supporter of moving games to Shreveport unless a team refused to play in Ruston) that Shreveport would never live up to what many people on this board believe they can be.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

There were between 38,000 and 40,000 people who occupied a seat in that stadium there that THURSDAY night -

In a stadium that barely seats 45,000 to 46,000 -

I still say if Miami is on Saturday night the crowd it easily exceeds 42,000 and comes close to hitting 44,000 to 45,000 mark -

Even in the "old" configuration the stadium didn't seat 50,000 -

There is absolutely NO WAY JAS can hold 35,000 - I have my doubts if there are a "true" 29,000 seats in JAS let alone 30,600 - the infrastructure in Ruston just doesn't exist that would allow us to host a game where 33,000 or 34,000 -

Let's face it - when we hosted Northeast and the crowds topped 25,000 our on campus facilities were stretched to the absolute max -

And this also applies to the TAC - there are barely 7,400 NUMBERED seats in the Assembly Center - we can not sit 8,000 let alone 8,800 - when you have crowds of 3,000+ in the TAC the facilities are stretched to the max -

How many of you on hear remember the Oklahoma State game in 1991? or the USA wb exhibition in 94? Let alone the opening of the TAC and the Northeast games from the mid to late 80's when the place would be jammed packed and how long it took you to go to the bathroom or concession stands?

Personally I don't think we can handle consistent crowds of 6,000 in baseketball and 24,000+ in football with our infrastructure and our administration knows that and that's why I think the "satisfied" with 17,000+ in football and 2,000+ in basketball is so prevailent throughout the administration -

When you run out of water, ice and tp in a stadium and you have less than 17,000 in actual attendance you know someone is not planning - and all of us can relate to this because it has happen more than once in the past few years...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Big Dog b_hoss_mac is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    There were between 38,000 and 40,000 people who occupied a seat in that stadium there that THURSDAY night -

In a stadium that barely seats 45,000 to 46,000 -

I still say if Miami is on Saturday night the crowd it easily exceeds 42,000 and comes close to hitting 44,000 to 45,000 mark
    Dwayne,

There is no way there were only 7,000 empty seats in the stadium. I had a great vantage point from the press box during that game, and there were easily more than 10,000 empty seats. By your estimates that's about 35,000 people there. I could go with that.

No, we couldn't have fit that many into JAS — and I actually agreed with playing that game at Indy. I'm just saying with all those empty seats, I knew that we weren't going to reach the Shreveport market like some people thought we would.

That being said, I'd play Miami there again if that's what it took to get Miami to give us a home game. The same with A&M, LSU or any other major BCS school.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by b_hoss_mac
    Dwayne,

There is no way there were only 7,000 empty seats in the stadium. I had a great vantage point from the press box during that game, and there were easily more than 10,000 empty seats. By your estimates that's about 35,000 people there. I could go with that.

No, we couldn't have fit that many into JAS — and I actually agreed with playing that game at Indy. I'm just saying with all those empty seats, I knew that we weren't going to reach the Shreveport market like some people thought we would.

That being said, I'd play Miami there again if that's what it took to get Miami to give us a home game. The same with A&M, LSU or any other major BCS school.
    If you think there were only 35,000 people there that night, you need to put your application in at the Times.

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by b_hoss_mac
    Dwayne,

B Hoss...

I took the oortunity in the 2nd quarter of the Miami game to walk around and look at the crowd from both sides and the north endzone. My estimate of butts in seats was 41,000 +/-. I think the "official" count was around 42 to 43 K. Estimating crowd size by knowing the seating capacity hapens to be something I'm very good at. (I've won several contests at this at Oakland A's baseball games.)

You are DEAD WRONG fif you really think there were only 30K at that game. I don't care what some little snot nosed Times "reporter" calls it!!!

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

The problem with these counts is that most took a look around at the start of the game to make their "estimates". There were still people pouring into the game well into late the first quarter. The bus lines were jam packed and some didn't get in until 45 minutes after kick-off.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I would have been following this thread if I had known it was about Shreveport. This has been talked about over and over. Shreveport is our ONLY chance to grow a fan base. HD or whomever posted above, was exactly right when he stated that the attendance in Shreveport is OUR fault on Shreveport's fault. Shreveport could certainly be more supportive of us, but we have to earn that. They aren't going to do it for nothing. Without marketing, I don't know what anyone would expect (and I am talking about REAL marketing). That is THE key. After that, you have to have a winner. Those are two things that Tech has FAILED with over the past few years.

All of you that say that Shreveport won't work are not looking at the big picture. Sure, Ruston is very important. We need to build our base there - no doubt. We HAVE to have Shreveport to go further, though.

Saying it won't work is like opening a business and expecting the shop to be packed. It takes time to grow things. You have to stick with it, market, and offer something that people want (in this case, a winner).

+ Reply to Thread