+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catch him if we can!

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Catch him if we can!

Need a coach? How about Hatcher?

By Michael A. Lough

Telegraph Staff Writer

East Carolina is looking for a head football coach.

John Thompson resigned Wednesday with a 3-18 record in two seasons. Not long ago, ECU was one of those programs the big boys wouldn't schedule, in or out of state.

And now they're looking for a coach.

The hottest topic in Dawg Nation is the need for head coach Mark Richt to hand over play-calling duties to somebody, whether it's Mike Bobo or a newcomer. The problem is that Georgia has no vacancies on the staff, and is unlikely to have any.

Soon enough, more jobs will come open. So let's finally throw the name out there:

Chris Hatcher.

The Maconite has been at Valdosta State since the 2000 season and has rolled. He's said repeatedly that A) he likes it at Valdosta State, and B) pretty much nobody's called him about anything anywhere.

Assorted reports over the past few years have linked him with Central Florida as head coach, back to Kentucky as a coordinator and to replace Richt as FSU's offensive coordinator. His name is out there, as per this item in The Sporting News 14 months ago:

"The next lower-level gem: Chris Hatcher, 30, of D-II Valdosta State. In each of his previous three seasons, the Blazers' starting quarterback has led Division II in passing and thrown for more than 40 touchdowns. The Blazers lost in the D-II title game last season."

Why might he be a pretty good choice at East Carolina? For one, it's not an overwhelming step up for him, and it's not an overwhelming gamble for East Carolina. Hatcher's young, but experienced. He's coached Daunte Culpepper and quarterbacks in the Southeastern Conference, and for Pete's sake, went to a bowl game as an assistant at Kentucky. More than once.

He played the game, and played it well. One story a couple years ago said that many considered him the best quarterback ever in Division II. He did win that division's version of the Heisman, the Harlon Hill Trophy.

He's from the South, he's coached in the South and he has recruited the South. The mommas will like him because he's polite and a family man; the daddies will like him because he knows football as a coach and player, and has been successful everywhere he's been.

He's not the pass-happy Spurrier wannabe some may think. Valdosta State has become increasingly balanced during Hatcher's reign, and this year's Blazers have 40 more rushes than passes, a sign of Hatcher's continuing growth as a coach.

He's won 55 of 62 games, and that's pretty serious on any level.

Hatcher himself won't sell a bunch of tickets because he's not a booster club salesman, nor is he smarmy. Folks won't walk out of a gathering dazzled by Spurrier-like arrogance or Bowden-ish folksiness or O'Leary-esque gruffness or Holtz-like storytelling, and yes, he looks so danged young.

Then again, who's showing up to watch the coach? The bucks come from winning, and Hatcher's been a part of that everywhere he's carried a whistle.

All that sounds worth at least a phone call.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Catch him if we can!

Sounds like he's beginning to be noticed. Of course, he's got 3 more games left if he makes to the championship game on Dec. 11.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I didn't realize that Hatcher is only 30 years old. That's rediculous. We can do much better than that. We already have enough "discipline" problems at Tech, without hiring a kid the same age as the players. Besides, Hatcher has no experience recruiting Louisiana, Arkansas and Texas, our primary markets.

Believe it or not, there REALLY IS a difference between coaching in Div 1A and coaching at tiny Valdosta State. I say we take a pass on Hatcher, and pursue a more MATURE coach who has experience recruiting in our patch.

HD

Big Dog b_hoss_mac is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    I didn't realize that Hatcher is only 30 years old. That's rediculous. We can do much better than that. We already have enough "discipline" problems at Tech, without hiring a kid the same age as the players. Besides, Hatcher has no experience recruiting Louisiana, Arkansas and Texas, our primary markets.

Believe it or not, there REALLY IS a difference between coaching in Div 1A and coaching at tiny Valdosta State. I say we take a pass on Hatcher, and pursue a more MATURE coach who has experience recruiting in our patch.

HD
    I usually like the stuff you post, but you're wrong on this one. There is not a direct correlation between AGE and MATURITY. Just ask Mike Price.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

HD
    The article that refers to him as being 30 was written over a year ago. I believe he's 32. He's in his 5th season at Valdosta as head coach. Bicknell is 10 years older. Who do you think is the best coach? If we limit ourselves to coaches in La., Texas, and Ark., we may get screwed again.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b_hoss_mac
    I usually like the stuff you post, but you're wrong on this one. There is not a direct correlation between AGE and MATURITY. Just ask Mike Price.
    Oh, hell yes there is. I don't expect you to understand that until you get a little older, but one day you will.

HD

Quote Originally Posted by DONW
    The article that refers to him as being 30 was written over a year ago. I believe he's 32. He's in his 5th season at Valdosta as head coach. Bicknell is 10 years older. Who do you think is the best coach? If we limit ourselves to coaches in La., Texas, and Ark., we may get screwed again.
    Think about what you're saying, Don.

I didn't say go hire a BAD coach. No, I say we go hire a GOOD coach!!! Only, for the same money, let's get one with SOME maturity (at least 35 years old), and one that knows high school coaches throughout Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas. Pretty simple theory, really.

HD

Big Dog b_hoss_mac is an unknown

Oh, hell yes there is. I don't expect you to understand that until you get a little older, but one day you will.

HD
    HD,

I'm not saying you DON'T mature as you get older ... I'm just saying there is NO direct correlation between AGE and MATURITY when you're comparing two different people.

I have friends at the age of 22 who are a whole lot maturer than some of the people who post on this board and some of the adults I've met in life.

I'm sure Mike Price at age 55 was acting very mature when he was in Florida last year, right? That was because of his age, right?

Age has nothing to do with being able to coach football ... as someone else asked you, Bicknell is 10 years older than Hatcher. Who do you think is a better coach???

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO, 30 years old is way too young.

Quote Originally Posted by b_hoss_mac
    HD,

I'm not saying you DON'T mature as you get older ... I'm just saying there is NO direct correlation between AGE and MATURITY when you're comparing two different people.

I have friends at the age of 22 who are a whole lot maturer than some of the people who post on this board and some of the adults I've met in life.

I'm sure Mike Price at age 55 was acting very mature when he was in Florida last year, right? That was because of his age, right?

Age has nothing to do with being able to coach football ... as someone else asked you, Bicknell is 10 years older than Hatcher. Who do you think is a better coach???
    B-hoss, we're not talking about hiring a guy to lead the local Boy Scout Troop. Thirty years old is too young for Div 1A credibility, I don't care what anybody says. I'm not in this to "raise" a coach. I want one that's already mature and experienced.

Hatcher has been very successful on the Div II level, and I commend him for that. But he inherited an already rich program at Valdosta, which he certainly wouldn't do at Tech. Also, it's a HUGE jump from Div II to Div 1A. If my kid has a choice to go play for a successful, mature coaching staff at a nice university vs for a 30-year old guy with no Div 1A experience at a nice university, I will recommend the former over the latter.

Your analogy is stupid because we can always find "exceptions" to every rule. It doesn't change the fact that --as a rule-- MOST 30-year olds just haven't seen as much, and haven't EXPERIENCED as many things as an older, more mature and seasoned coach. I'm not saying we should go hire a 60-year old guy that can't relate to young players, but THIRTY is simply too young.

As the old saying goes, right now you are so young you don't even know what you don't know. But one day you will.

HD

To set the record straight, Hatcher is 32. He did not inherit a talent rich program. He took them to their first Division II playoff game when he was a senior QB in 1994 and they were coached by Hal Mumme. After Mumme left for Kentucky, Valdosta took a nosedive similar to what we have seen at Tech in the last 5 years. Hatcher got them back to winning when he became the head coach in 2000 and they were in their first ever championship game in 2002. I'll take a 32 yearold that can coach like Hatcher over a 50 year old that can't coach. He obviously knows what he's doing if he's only lost 7 games in 5 years.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I am surprised by this fixation on Hatcher's age. I could care less about his age, if he can frickin' coach!

No, I am NOT saying that Hatcher, or anyone, could step into the situation in Ruston and become an instant success. Tech has some real problems that need addressing. But, I am certainly willing to give a guy like Hatcher a chance to prove himself. I do know he'll be better than our current coach. Just about anyone would.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

I'd take an old lady with a winning attitude over what we have now. A winner would pick some assistant coaches that could coach and instill a winning attitude in our players. I truly do believe that I could do a better job at coaching our team than what we have now - and my grandest football experience is playing intramural flag football at Tech and just enjoying the game over the years (certainly not applying for the job!). I've just always thought that leaders lead on to great things and don't even attempt to rely on simply their own intelligence in whatever arena of life they're in - Ronald Reagan for example.

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Thanks for adding that Don!

The previous coach was fired for non-performance. My boss, a major contributor to VSU athletics, had the same concerns over his age. He didn't want VSU to hire him for this same reason. To date, this is the only time I have ever heard the guy say he was wrong about anything.

Something else you all are forgetting, the D-coordinator for lsu's national championship team was D-coordinator for Hatcher before coming to lsu. HE BUILDS WINNERS!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't we try the youngest head coach in D1 ball already >>> 6 years ago?

+ Reply to Thread