+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S'port Games

Varsity Bulldog gbg001 isn't thought very highly of around heregbg001 isn't thought very highly of around heregbg001 isn't thought very highly of around heregbg001 isn't thought very highly of around heregbg001 isn't thought very highly of around here

Re: S'port Games

We should not totally give up on Shreveport especially if we expect to get in Conf USA. Remember big markets is what gave the other 3 WAC teams that suck their spot in Conf USA. JAS will never draw well because of Grambling and ULM. I dont care how many seats you add, Ruston maxes out its attendance every week. That's part of the reason that Tech doesn't market much in Ruston because it simply isnt worth it. Now why they dont market in Shreveport (especially when they have a game) is beyond me. If we ever are going to become a national player we need Shreveport with the bigger stadium and replay screen. I cant count how may times i've been JAS and was disgruntled with an official's call but didn't have an opportunity to see the play replayed. JAS is a joke. Its ver similiar to high school stadiums. Sorry ass seating, sorry ass concession stands just a sorry place period................and we're surprised CUSA didnt invite us. GEEZ
    Under every Bush there is dirt. :icon_wink

Big Dog BCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to all

The only way people in S'port will attend a Tech game in S'port is if it is a big name school. And then, it's not a guaranteed sellout. They're not there to see Tech, they're there to see Miami, Texas A&M, OK State, etc. They don't give a hoot in H___ about Tech and the sooner Oakes and Reneau figure that out the better.

Put our money and effort into Alliet Stadium. Market the program the way you should market and not the way we have been marketing and things could improve in Ruston.

The parking and exiting from S'port games is AWFUL. Ruston isn't much better, but at least you don't end up going to Greenwood to get back on I-20 (if you take a wrong turn!).

Someone just said the Alliet Stadium is too highschoolish...I'd have to agree. Consessions have improved but the stadium is a throwback to high school stadiums. Just a bigger version. But State Fair Stadium is not where Tech needs to be. Raise Alliet ticket prices for a Miami/Texas A&M/OK State/Texas Tech or other such team and you'll still sell the place out. Alliet would rock if all 30,500 seats were full!! Just picture it. Hell, I'd pay up for that type of game in Alliet Stadium...wouldn't you?

Champ JDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant future JDubyadawg's Avatar

gbg101 - I am not suggesting giving up on Shreveport entirely, but to continue to suggest that we will never be a "national player" unless we can pack them in two or three times a year at Indy Stadium and their jumbotron hasn't worked. While our marketing effort could always be better, it hasn't been that bad.

Shreveport is a funny town. It is not a great sports town and lets face it, if we can't sell out the Miami game which is at the beginning of the season, we ain't ever going to sell any game out.

JAS needs a lot of work and money, not just some fresh paint here and there, the concessions do suck, and I am sure there is a long list of other things we can do. The point is, those things can be done, and can be done now!

FOCUS and CONSISTENCY - we need it desperately on our scheduling and playing two or three times a year in S'port is no more the answer, than playing three road games a season against SEC/ACC teams.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCSDAWG
    The only way people in S'port will attend a Tech game in S'port is if it is a big name school. And then, it's not a guaranteed sellout. They're not there to see Tech, they're there to see Miami, Texas A&M, OK State, etc. They don't give a hoot in H___ about Tech and the sooner Oakes and Reneau figure that out the better.

Put our money and effort into Alliet Stadium. Market the program the way you should market and not the way we have been marketing and things could improve in Ruston.

The parking and exiting from S'port games is AWFUL. Ruston isn't much better, but at least you don't end up going to Greenwood to get back on I-20 (if you take a wrong turn!).

Someone just said the Alliet Stadium is too highschoolish...I'd have to agree. Consessions have improved but the stadium is a throwback to high school stadiums. Just a bigger version. But State Fair Stadium is not where Tech needs to be. Raise Alliet ticket prices for a Miami/Texas A&M/OK State/Texas Tech or other such team and you'll still sell the place out. Alliet would rock if all 30,500 seats were full!! Just picture it. Hell, I'd pay up for that type of game in Alliet Stadium...wouldn't you?
    If we'd just start winning on a consistent basis this topic would be moot. We need to hire a enthusiastic new coach and put an attendance clause in his contract , schedule smarter and the attendance will happen.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck
    Makes no sense to play in Shreveport unless the expected crowd is in the 35,000 range to put the game clearly beyond what can be accommodated in Ruston. Hopefully that fact is crystal clear now with the 2002 UTEP and 2004 Tulsa crowds. Plus with SMU in 2001 only marginally working because it was the season opener.
    Just when I think some of you people have half a brain, I see a stupid post like this one from RealityCheck.

Without Shreveport, you "smart" guys better get used to playing in the Sunbelt. Because --outside of the WAC-- it's the best conference you'll ever see. No conference --certainly not CUSA-- wants to play all of their conference games in Ruston. Rather, they will REQUIRE La Tech to have a tight alliance with Shreveport.

For example, if La Tech gets invited to CUSA, I GUARANTEE you, the "eastern" CUSA schools (primarily Marshall, UCF, and ECU) will require that we let them fly into Shreveport and play in the Indy Bowl stadium rather than bus all the way to Ruston and back. Same will probably hold true for UTEP.

So, you better start building a fan base in Shreveport, or just give up the whole Div 1A idea. Nobody (conference) is gonna want Tech without Shreveport.

And don't forget that playing in Indy Bowl Stadium is also a recruiting tool for Tech. Fact is, kids like playing in a 55K seat stadium with nice artificial turf and a big screen Jumbotron the same size as their home town. They like "state of the art" facilities, so get used to it.

Taking away one of Tech's "recruiting" advantages is not the answer. The bottom line is, Shreveport has the demographics to boost growth, while Ruston offers less.

As I've stated before, it's not Shreveport's fault that a 4-5 La Tech team playing against a 2-7 Tulsa team didn't draw flies at Indy. Nope, that's our own damn fault. LA Tech has posted LOSING seasons in 4 of the past 5 years. What did you really expect?

HD

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    Just when I think some of you people have half a brain, I see a stupid post like this one from RealityCheck.

Without Shreveport, you "smart" guys better get used to playing in the Sunbelt. Because --outside of the WAC-- it's the best conference you'll ever see. No conference --certainly not CUSA-- wants to play all of their conference games in Ruston. Rather, they will REQUIRE La Tech to have a tight alliance with Shreveport.

For example, if La Tech gets invited to CUSA, I GUARANTEE you, the "eastern" CUSA schools (primarily Marshall, UCF, and ECU) will require that we let them fly into Shreveport and play in the Indy Bowl stadium rather than bus all the way to Ruston and back. Same will probably hold true for UTEP.

And don't forget that playing in Indy Bowl Stadium is also a recruiting tool for Tech. Fact is, kids like playing in a 55K seat stadium with nice artificial turf and a big screen Jumbotron the same size as their home town. They like "state of the art" facilities, so get used to it.

Taking away one of Tech's "recruiting" advantages is not the answer.

As I've stated before, it's not Shreveport's fault that a 4-5 La Tech team playing against a 2-7 Tulsa team didn't draw flies at Indy. Nope, that's our own damn fault. LA Tech has posted LOSING seasons in 4 of the past 5 years. What did you really expect?

HD
    dittos, fwiw

Big Dog TXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the rough TXDAWG81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg

HD
    Good analysis HD. A 9-0 ranked Tech team would certainly help the Shreveport attendance.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altadawg
    Essentially we have NEVER had any effective marketing of our program and you just can't expect people to want to pay $25 to watch a poor football team coached by the likes of Jack Bicknell.

However, Shreveport is not off the hook on this issue by any means!! That includes the mayor, the city council, ALL the locally owned businesses over there, and especially the FREAKING MEDIA AND FANS!!

Shreveport, you suck.
    Shreveport may indeed suck, but you can't blame Shreveporters for not wanting to come out and watch two (2) HORRIBLE football programs play for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Think about it.

I was in Homer (Jim Oakes' home town) for Thanksgiving, and I talked to almost a DOZEN people who consider themselves Tech fans, but ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to drive the measly 35 miles to Ruston to watch another Bicknell coached team. They HATE Bicknell and have reached their limit. They are done! They won't go again. In fact, I would say the "home folks" are definately turning against Jim Oakes. Many think Jim is doing a terrible job. And these are TECH SUPPORTERS!!

If many of Tech's most loyal fans won't drive 35 miles to the Joe, you can't blame average Shreveporters for the same.

As I've said before, let's try WINNING for a change, because it REALLY MATTERS to most folks. If La Tech has a 9-2 team playing in Shreveport and nobody shows up, THEN people can bitch, and I'll lead the charge.

HD

Champ JDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant future JDubyadawg's Avatar

HogDawg,
    I agree with your logic and the scheme except for this - we don't seem to be able to build an alliance with the Shreveport powers to be and you need to take a another look at the "demographics". Population does not necessarily mean 40K fans in the seats----unless you give half the tickets away.

Haven't we been working this exact plan for a number of years now?

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JDubyadawg
    No consistency in execution yet. We have all-out marketing one game and nothing the next when we really need it (UTEP, Tulsa).

Quote Originally Posted by JDubyadawg
    HogDawg,
    Population does not necessarily mean 40K fans in the seats----unless you give half the tickets away.

Your first sentence above makes no sense to me. The large Shreveport population is PRECISELY the reason a 40K attendance is possible.

As for your last point, this has already been asked and answered. Sure, we've been "working on it for a number of years now", and the entire time we were producing 4 losing seasons out of the last 5 years. That's not a way to win the loyalty of the locals.

For the record, I will also remind everybody that Shreveport drew nice crowds for the Texas A&M, OSU and Miami games. It was only the "loser programs" UTEP and Tulsa, that didn't draw flies.

HD

Varsity Bulldog Appledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really nice Appledog's Avatar

My .02
    If Tech is to grow and maintain the program to be competitive within the WAC, and be attractive if and when the next conference realignment comes, my view is that the Shreveport market is essential - it may even be critical. Either way, we need Shreveport people to come to both Shreveport games and to Ruston to have those consistent +30K sellout games everyone wants.

We need the Shreveport TV Market (radio and newspaper), and we need the Shreveport Alumni $$$ that it is going to take to get the stadium improvements in Ruston. Likewise we need the same from the Monroe, Southern Ark, and Alexandria markets.

I have been to the OK State, Miami and SMU games in Shreveport and liked it (did not go to UTEP or Tulsa). In addition to playing SEC and Big 12 teams in Shreveport, I think TCU, Southern Miss, Memphis, Louisville and Tulane could also attract +25k (with some effort). I am sure these teams would like to showcase their stuff to potential recruits in this area. It gives us the opportunity to do likewise. This would also give CUSA another "look under the hood" in case of future conference realignment. And finally it puts real pressure on our Administration, Alumni and Supporters to step up since we are all on display.

Next year my understanding is we have 5 home games in a row? If so, I would suggest we play either Boise State or Hawaii in S'port. Why? - to continue our consistent approach of playing one game a year in Shreveport, and to break up the five game stretch in Ruston. It is not a given that Ruston can handle 5 home games straight and average +20k. Therefore take the risk with S'port. Maybe go for the date of the quarter break. I'm also guessing that the team likes playing in Shreveport (at least once).

Who knows, maybe next time the Indy Bowl is scrambling for teams, maybe we get the call.

At some point the Athletic Department is going to have to articulate to everyone a long term vision and strategy to make it happen in either Ruston and/or Shreveport.

It is clear from reading this board over the years that there is a real desire to move the University forward. I would also offer that a Grass roots effort has been demonstrated as evidenced by BBB, and the resulting calls for money (and raised) for specific ideas or projects. The challenge is for the Athletic department to harness this effort as part of a long term plan.
    Last edited by Appledog; 11-29-2004 at 04:37 PM.

Who brought the fans to the Texas A&M game?--Aggies

Who brought the fans to the OSU game? - Cowboys

Miami did draw everyone - it was a great game and effort by all involved. Bad news, Miami isn't coming back. Southern Cal is never coming, along with Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, LSU, etc. It was a once in a lifetime deal.

Those schools along with our fan base provides the 30K plus, and I agree with everyone that UTEP and the Tulsa games were horrible. (Of course, that would suggest that the committed Tech fan base is lacking.)

As I stated in my first post, Texas A&M one year, OK State the next year, Baylor the following, those kind of teams on a consistent basis will work. Big 12 schools that are close to us with a large fan base who want to watch football and lose money after the game at the casinos. God Bless Texas!

Perhaps the question is - should we have the best of the WAC - Boise State.Fresno St, Hawaii (sometimes), play our home games in Shreveport? Will we draw 30K plus?

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

No WAC schools in Shreveport ever again! Not enough support to draw a decent crowd, even with Boise or Fresno. The only way we should go back is with games against LSU, Arkansas, A&M, Baylor, OSU, etc. Schools close enough to bring at least 10-15K on their own.

Champ beaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

hookdown is absolutely right.No,I repeat NO WAC schools in Shreveport.Only BCS schools that can draw some passion.WAC games draw alot of passion in Ruston and even tulsa would have drawn 14k in ruston and our season Average would not have plummeted.Baylor,Kansas,A&M,LSU maybe but WAC should stay at JOE.

+ Reply to Thread