+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Red States lead the way in generousity

Big Dog NTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to behold NTXDawg's Avatar

Red States lead the way in generousity

You don't see this on the news anywhere. Top 10 are all Red States. Bottom Ten are all from the North East and Midwest. Apparently the Blue States like to give with other peoples money and the Red State give of themselves.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...411270353/1002

Louisiana ranks high in giving
    November 27, 2004
    By Diane Haag

Nonprofit officials guess that Louisiana's religious heritage and Southern traditions are reasons the state is near the top of the annual Generosity Index.

The Boston-based Catalogue for Philanthropy annually ranks states on how much residents donate to charity in relation to their income. This year Louisiana came in at No. 4, up three places from last year.

"It goes back to our strong Judeo-Christian influences," said Sarah Comiskey, program coordinator for the Louisiana Association of Non-profit Organizations. "Everyone gives -- people very wealthy and those not so wealthy. The desire is almost bred in us to be responsible for those who are less fortunate."

Of the states in the top 10, six are Southern states, with the top ranked being Mississippi for the eighth year. The bottom 10 are all from the Northeast and Midwest.

Marty Cohn, spokesman for Catalogue for Philanthropy, said they don't measure reasons why and wouldn't speculate on the Southern trend.

Joe Pierce, executive director of the United Way of Northwest Louisiana, agreed with Comiskey.

"Our region is pretty faith based," he said. "Churches take a lead in the community, and they encourage their members to take a lead."

The numbers are all taken from 2003 tax returns and compare itemized charitable contributions with adjusted income.

Louisianans take home an average of $37,102 and itemized donations of $3,940.

Nationally, the average income was $46,160, and donations averaged $3,455.

The news did not surprise Janet Parker, executive director of the ARC of Caddo-Bossier. Even when government grants shrink or disappear altogether, she knows she can count on the Shreveport community.

"We have a board that is all volunteer and works their hearts out. We have no debt on our properties because of the hard work and generosity of this community," Parker said. "Any time we let a need be known, someone steps forward."

In addition to operations expenses, community members have also donated houses that serve as group homes for the ARC's disabled adult clients.

While overall giving is up, Cohn said the Catalogue's numbers also show that giving from those in the highest income bracket is actually down in Louisiana.

Pierce said he hadn't seen any impact from that statistic in this year's United Way campaign. The nonprofit collects money to be distributed to individual agencies.

"We've seen more generosity this year -- definitely up over last year from all levels of the community," he said. "Overall employee campaigns are up and leadership giving is up."

Cohn said the goal of the index is to raise awareness among donors.

"The more people who talk about it, the more people will act," he said.

Generosity Index 2004
    1. Mississippi
    2. Arkansas
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Louisiana
    5. Alabama
    6. Tennessee
    7. South Dakota
    8. Utah
    9. South Carolina
    10. Idaho
    Source: Catalogue for PhilanthropyJoy Fund
    To donate to The Times' Joy Fund, send checks or money orders to Joy Fund, The Times, P.O. Box 30222, Shreveport, LA 71130. Donations also may be dropped off in the lobby at The Times, 222 Lake St. Credit cards are also accepted there.Generosity Index 2004

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Red States lead the way in generousity

Thanks for posting those stats! These two quotes bring it home! "It goes back to our strong Judeo-Christian influences," and "Our region is pretty faith based," he said. "Churches take a lead in the community, and they encourage their members to take a lead."

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

That is something that makes me go hmmm.

However, all of the money going to the churches around here is going straight into the preachers, asst. preachers, youth directors, etc. pockets. One here lives in a half million dollar home in the country club.

There is a youth director building a house near me that is going to be very nice. These guys aren't getting this money from their family or wives. The wives don't work and these men of the cloth are bringing in 6 figures. While their congregations hang on to the crumbs of society and are told to give more every Sunday.

These are only two examples and I could name numerous others.

I think nice donations to real charitable organizations are the only way to go until the nonsense stops.

Now fire away. This should generate a few posts.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbitten
    That is something that makes me go hmmm.

However, all of the money going to the churches around here is going straight into the preachers, asst. preachers, youth directors, etc. pockets. One here lives in a half million dollar home in the country club.

There is a youth director building a house near me that is going to be very nice. These guys aren't getting this money from their family or wives. The wives don't work and these men of the cloth are bringing in 6 figures. While their congregations hang on to the crumbs of society and are told to give more every Sunday.

These are only two examples and I could name numerous others.

I think nice donations to real charitable organizations are the only way to go until the nonsense stops.

Now fire away. This should generate a few posts.
    Tithing is an obedience issue. Even if we don't like how our church giving is spent we do have a responsibility to give. If I was that uncomfortable with how my church was spending their money (on excessive salaries in the case you mentioned) I'd definitely be looking for a church that has beliefs more in line with mine. In Southern Baptist churches you have finance committees and personnel committees that come up with salaries to recommend to the church along with a budget to determine how all of the money is spent. The church ultimately votes on it. Accountability there is VERY important. There are lots of issues on how we are to be responsible stewards of the money that God has entrusted to the local churches. I would not want to be a minister such as some examples we've seen on "that day" who have used God's money inappropriately - or pressured their congregations to pay salaries higher than would please the Lord. There definitely needs to be accountability on the financial end of things for sure.

Certainly I don't believe pastors should live in the poor house, but I also don't think they should live more lavishly than their parishioners.

+ Reply to Thread