+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FAMU Financially Shuts Down Football Program

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

FAMU Financially Shuts Down Football Program

FAMU Financially Shuts Down Football Program

FAMU Football has been financially shut down. Athletic Director Dr. Ramsey met with head coach Billy Joe on Monday and told him that the FAMU Football program will not be allowed to spend any money in 2005, nor will they be allowed to have a recruiting class for the upcoming season.

Coach Joe will also be forced to play in 2005 without a defensive coordinator. As of now, Billy Joe will coach FAMU for next season, but he will wait to make a final decision about his future at the school. Coach Joe's contract expires December 31st, 2006.

Quotes from Billy Joe:
    "I have never heard of this in the annals of football history I’ve never seen or heard of this taking place, but the athletic director informs me that there is no money and that we have to shut down financially as far as the football team is concerned."

"It’s a big hit, and its going to set this program back a bit we don't know how much, hopefully not at all, but I can't see it not hurting the football program, but hopefully it won't ultimately lead to the demise of the program and the team"

"I had a meeting this morning with Dr. Ramsey and he indicated to me that he will not extend my contract and of course to further compound the problem he has shut down the football program from a financial standpoint we can no longer recruit and I cannot hire a defensive coordinator."

Find this article at:
    http://www.wctv6.com/sports/headlines/1108652.html
    Last edited by EJ; 12-01-2004 at 03:38 PM.

Champ BIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really nice

Re: FAMU Financially Shuts Down Football Program

It is coming to TECH! Prepare yourselves!

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

it was time to pay the piper. FAMU is so overwhelmingly in the red it is unbelievable. their finances are such a mess that most students get their financial aid a half semester late. (makes it hard for those students who were counting on that check to take care of little expenses like rent) they thought if they went 1A they would have boat loads of money so they went full steam ahead. the president ran the numbers and saw that it would destroy the college. so he ended that quest, and the board of regents promptly fired him.

so now FAMU is a college without a president and soon to be without a football team. maybe now they can get back to educating students...

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar

Hard to believe this school was selected as "University of the Year" by U.S. News & World Report and cited as a rising academic power just a few short years ago by many prestigious publications. Their descent into financial and athletic ruin reminds me an awful lot of what happened to ULM (then NLU) in the 90s; the similarities are really frightening, except with FAMU, it's worse.

+ Reply to Thread