+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much does Bicnell make?

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

How much does Bicnell make?

$250,000?

That's how much it took for Memphis to hire Tommy West, although he is now making $600,000 (see last paragraph).

Tiger AD expecting Rebs to call about West

By Phil Stukenborg
    Contact

December 2, 2004

University of Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson said Wednesday no Ole Miss athletic officials have contacted him seeking permission to speak to Tiger coach Tommy West about the Rebels' coaching vacancy, but Johnson said he expects a call to be forthcoming.

''I haven't heard from anybody,'' Johnson said. ''But I'm sure it will be coming. I can't imagine they wouldn't call.''

Advertisement

West's name surfaced as a potential candidate as talk that the Rebels would dismiss football coach David Cutcliffe became reality Wednesday. The Rebels and Cutcliffe parted ways Wednesday after a six-year relationship that saw the Rebels go 44-29 overall and 25-23 in the Southeastern Conference. The Rebels finished 4-7 this season, Cutcliffe's first losing record at Ole Miss.

West, a former Clemson coach, has resurrected a Memphis program by leading the Tigers to back-to-back bowls. After going 9-4 last year and beating North Texas in the New Orleans Bowl, West directed the Tigers to an 8-3 regular-season record this year and a berth in the Dec. 22 GMAC Bowl in Mobile, where Memphis will play Bowling Green (8-3).

West did not return several messages left on his cell phone Wednesday. He was not in his office Wednesday afternoon. The Tigers are off until Dec. 10, when they begin preparations for the GMAC Bowl.

Johnson said West's success with the Tigers -- taking the program to successive bowl trips for the first time in its history -- will attract interest from other programs. Before West took over in 2001, Memphis had not had a winning season in eight years and it hadn't had a seven-win season since 1976.

Now the Tigers have recorded back-to-back eight-win seasons for the first time since the early 1960s.

''This is the price you pay when you have a successful coach,'' Johnson said. ''We don't want to lose him.''

Johnson said he spoke with West Wednesday before Ole Miss held its press conference to announce Cutcliffe's departure, but was aware that the Rebels would be letting him go.

''I didn't know if (West) had heard it,'' Johnson said. ''I just told him at the time how much we wanted him to remain as a Tiger.''

West renegotiated his contract after the 2003 season, boosting his pay from about $250,000 to $600,000 annually and extending the pact through the 2008 season.

-- Phil Stukenborg: 529-2543 Copyright 2004, commercialappeal.com - Memphis, TN. All Rights Reserved.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Re: How much does Bicnell make?

I've seen it posted on here that Bicknell makes 150,000/year but also gets additional income from somewhere else. He has no call in show or no show reviewing the game highlights of the previous game. So, where does the extra money come from. Some assistants at the big schools make 150,000 or more. Maybe somebody in New England will hire him as an assistant.

Puppy TennDawg is on the way down

Not saying that you are right or anything... but I belive it is $100,000. That is all the state will pay a head coach in Louisiana. Now a LSU coach can make as much as they can its ok there. (NOT FAIR) but thats how Louisiana is. Now all the extra that a coach gets it is from boosters and Radio shows, TV shows and shoe contracts, etc. With Tech not having a radio show or TV show its gonna be hard to hire a new coach if and when Tech has to make a decision to hire a new coach.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

DFM has posted this info before $100k and $150k seem low from what I recall.

Puppy TennDawg is on the way down

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde
    DFM has posted this info before $100k and $150k seem low from what I recall.
    With all that said... it hard to hire a coach with a good resume becasue a coach is gonna cost more.

Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    His base is right around $150,000 to $175,000 -

He incentives & perks boost that to $225,000 to $250,000 -

Varsity Bulldog johnnyba99 has turned a few heads around herejohnnyba99 has turned a few heads around herejohnnyba99 has turned a few heads around here johnnyba99's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TennDawg
    Not saying that you are right or anything... but I belive it is $100,000. That is all the state will pay a head coach in Louisiana. Now a LSU coach can make as much as they can its ok there. (NOT FAIR) but thats how Louisiana is.
    That is the same in every state not just Louisiana. The state pays about the same amount for head coaches in Arkansas. The remainder of the salary is payed by a foundation.

+ Reply to Thread