+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Champ's pre-bowl thoughts

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Big Grin Champ's pre-bowl thoughts

Without giving any love to the BCS, I can tell you in 2 words why USC & OU deserve the Orange Bowl more than Auburn .... THE CITADEL. If the NC game is supposed to reward the BEST 2 teams, then I can see how AU has a gripe. (And even that's just a matter of speculation.) But if the NC game is supposed to recognize the 2 teams with the strongest "body-of-work" (as I believe it is) then you're not going to convince me that playing in a depressed $ec is enough to offset playing a BAAAAAD 1AA. You should never get to complain about your ranking as long as 1AAs are on your schedule.

If OU barely scrapes by USC, and Auburn obliterates VT, we may be looking at another split MNC.

Looks like several teams will have to employ the "1AA-exception" for bowl eligibility this year: UNC, GaTech, Iowa St, Bama, Minnesota & Wyoming are all 6-5 bowl teams with a 1AA win.

Even though I'm a bit of a Pasadena Purist (Big10 vs. Pac10), and even though I dont particularly care for Texas, the Rose Bowl did the right thing by taking the Horns. 10-1 in the Big12 beats 10-1 in the Pac10 anyday.

As an undefeated conference champ, Boise has more right to a BCS spot than Cal.

Outside of Clemson, South Carolina, and Arkansas, TECH is the best team not in a bowl. And I really, REALLY mean that. No sarcasm. Tech is the best 6-6 team in the country.

Nevada is the worst 6-6 team in the country.

Arkansas (5-6) is the best losing team in the country.

Central Florida sucks with gospel abandon.

ULM? Not looking too shabby.

The Belt still has a long way to go, but has surpassed the MAC as a football conference.

The Big East is still better than the MWC.

Gotta love ol' Harvard. Undefeated, but still decline post-season play. Now THAT'S some student athletes for ya!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: Champ's pre-bowl thoughts

I understand your thoughts, but I'll respectfully disagree. A depressed SEC is better than a great PAC-10. In my opinion, the SEC isn't as depressed as some think (just my thoughts). What comes after USC and Cal, one 8 win (if I remember) and then straight to 6 win teams. I watched all three teams play their final games and my orange bowl match-up would be OU and AU. This would never happen though because this is the year that the BCS makes it up to USC. So, if Auburn is patient and takes care of business against VT, they will not get the shaft next year. The problem is, playing in the SEC, they are very unlikely to repeat an undefeated season. I personally think we need a play-off system in the worst way.

PS: I predict OU will handle USC pretty easily...we'll see.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    I understand your thoughts, but I'll respectfully disagree. A depressed SEC is better than a great PAC-10. In my opinion, the SEC isn't as depressed as some think (just my thoughts). What comes after USC and Cal, one 8 win (if I remember) and then straight to 6 win teams. I watched all three teams play their final games and my orange bowl match-up would be OU and AU. This would never happen though because this is the year that the BCS makes it up to USC. So, if Auburn is patient and takes care of business against VT, they will not get the shaft next year. The problem is, playing in the SEC, they are very unlikely to repeat an undefeated season. I personally think we need a play-off system in the worst way.

PS: I predict OU will handle USC pretty easily...we'll see.
    I predict USC will win. They have great athletes and great coaching. everyone is underestimating them because of the PAC Ten, but they have the athletes to match up with Oklahoma or Auburn.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47
    I predict USC will win. They have great athletes and great coaching. everyone is underestimating them because of the PAC Ten, but they have the athletes to match up with Oklahoma or Auburn.
    I agree that they have great athletes and coaching, but I think OU's defense will reach Matt L. likes he's never been reached. I think that OU can stifle their offense and then, Jason White and Adrian Peterson take care of the rest. But, as we all know, you never know.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    I watched all three teams play their final games and my orange bowl match-up would be OU and AU.
    But, see ... now you're talking about who's "better" than who. It's much easier to be objective when your selection criteria are based on who "earned" it, as opposed to who's "better".

It's a subtle difference, but an important one.

NCAA says the bowl season is about rewarding "deserving" teams. And by extension, I would maintain, the NC game is about rewarding the 2 most deserving teams. So while Auburn may be "better" than USC or OU. (that is, capable of beating either of them) the Trojans and Sooner are more "deserving" of the Orange Bowl based on their body of work over the season.

All three teams have played some comparable good opponents, as well as comparable mediocre competition. The hair splitting has to come down to an examination of the three's BAD competion. And Baylor and Washington each get the nod over Citadel.

I hate it for the Plainsmen, really I do. Like many of us, I was raised on SEC football, and prefer it to the Big12 or Pac10. But when you schedule 1AA's, expect to get burned. There is no reason; there is no excuse.

Whether Auburn is the "best" team in the nation, we may never know. But through no fault of the players' own (goodness knows they did everything that was asked of them), Auburn is less deserving of a spot in the NC game than USC or OU.

I thought finding the best team was the point? This always makes me cringe over the fact that there is no play-off. With a play-off, the most deserving and the best would be one in the same. Ultimately, Auburn will kick themselves because they didn't schedule a team that was just a little bit better. I see your point but...ugh...we must have a play-off. Either way, this is a good thread.

Champ Bossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really nice Bossdawg's Avatar

Aurburn's schedule had nothing to do with how the BCS standings are.

Aurburn's preseason ranking of 18 and USC at #1 and OU at #3 are the reason USC and OU are playing in the national championship. It is too hard to start in a poll that low and pass a top 5 undefeated team. It just doesn't happen.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Have I mentioned that I HATE pre-season rankings?

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bossdawg
    Aurburn's schedule had nothing to do with how the BCS standings are.

Aurburn's preseason ranking of 18 and USC at #1 and OU at #3 are the reason USC and OU are playing in the national championship. It is too hard to start in a poll that low and pass a top 5 undefeated team. It just doesn't happen.
    You've hit the nail on the head. If they did not do any polling until after the first 3-4 weeks of the season, it could well be Auburn there instead of Oklahoma. There's just no way you can come from nowhere to the NC game w/ multiple undefeated teams.

+ Reply to Thread