+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mccown Draws a Crowd in Texas

Champ rphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the rough rphdawg's Avatar

Mccown Draws a Crowd in Texas

IF LUKE WOULD HAVE ONLY HAD COACHING WHILE HE WAS AT LATECH :bigcry:

McCown draws crowd in TexasBy Marla Ridenour, Beacon Journal staff writer

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - At first, Browns rookie Luke McCown figured that there might be 15 to 20 people camped in front of his parents' big-screen television today for a McCown quarterback doubleheader.

Later in the week, he'd revised his estimate. McCown said he wouldn't be surprised if it drew the entire population of Jacksonville, Texas, a town of 13,000 near Tyler.

At 1 p.m., the gang will watch on cable as Luke makes his second consecutive start when the Browns visit the Buffalo Bills. At 4:15, his brother Josh will be back as the Cardinals' No. 1, directing Arizona as it hosts the San Francisco 49ers.

"The McCown house is usually where everybody goes," Luke said. "They've got NFL Sunday everything.

"It's going to be a big week in the McCown family. We're always going to give all glory to God for the ability He's given us. This is just one more blessing."

Browns interim coach Terry Robiskie and his staff elected to go with McCown, even though starter Jeff Garcia is about 90 percent recovered from a strained right rotator cuff. Josh McCown, a three-year veteran, started the first nine games of the season for Arizona before being benched, but he returns after rookie John Navarre broke his right ring finger. Josh will be the Cardinals' fourth starting quarterback in five weeks.

If the McCown boys have big days, there will be a lot of smooching going on in front of the big screen. McCown said since he and his two brothers were in high school, his parents have kissed every time their sons score a touchdown.

Luke McCown might have lost 42-15 to the defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots last week, but he still produced two lip-smackers, both to receiver Antonio Bryant.

McCown's 80.1 passer rating was the best by a rookie this season in his first start, and the others faced less formidable defenses. McCown topped Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger (74.6 vs. Miami), Chicago's Craig Krenzel (70.1 vs. San Francisco), the New York Giants' Eli Manning (45.1 vs. Atlanta), Navarre (25.8 vs. Detroit) and Dallas' Drew Henson (7.6 vs. Chicago).

Last Sunday in a reference to Roethlisberger, who is 10-0 as a starter, McCown referred to himself in a group of "normal rookies." But he still believes that he can be one of the elite.

"I think I could easily be, as they say, one of the premier young quarterbacks in the league or up and coming," he said. "But that's just the confidence I have in my abilities. Now whether or not people talk like that, I really don't care. But that's how I picture myself."

Robiskie saw enough against the Patriots to give McCown at least one more start this season.

Asked what McCown has that makes him believe he can be something special, Robiskie said: "His guts. He has something about him that says `I want to be a good football player.' Physically, he has great talent, the speed, the strong arm. He's 6-foot-4. He's a phenomenal jumper. He won a slam-dunk contest in high school in Texas.

"But he's also got the mental side. It's not just this week, it's this year. He comes in by himself in the morning and watches tape. He wants to be good pretty badly."

Robiskie was impressed that during the Browns' bye week, McCown drove to Buffalo to see Josh start for Arizona. McCown might benefit greatly from watching his brother struggle in 40 mph winds in Ralph Wilson Stadium, completing 9-of-24 for 101 yards and a touchdown.

"It's a place that challenges you," McCown said. "Their weather is their 12th man. You've got to be very sound, very crisp and try to make the most of it. (Josh) said it would either knock the ball down short or the wind would carry and the ball would be too long. He said it's tough to gauge it there because how hard it's blowing."

But center Jeff Faine has seen McCown's talent in practice and has been amazed by his arm strength. Perhaps it will be enough today to cut through any gale off Lake Erie. "Almost too much at times, receivers are complaining about how hard the ball comes back to 'em," Faine said. "I think there's a lot of talent there, but at the same time you've got to harness that talent."

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Mccown Draws a Crowd in Texas

Awesome.. I really wish the best for Luke. He may have had a rough time here at LaTech, but he does have some talent. I say if it wasn't for his problem of forcing so many passes and going a little wild, he'd have been amazing in college, but our coaching couldn't teach him anything. Oh well, kick ass, Luke!

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Re: Mccown Draws a Crowd in Texas

Unfortunately, it was a long day for the McCowns.

+ Reply to Thread