+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All I want for XMAS is a HS commitment

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Re: All I want for XMAS is a HS commitment

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80
    Y'all are making a good point. Recruiting quality players is something that can build momentum and build on itself. A good HS player, who might be a pick-up by an SEC school, but who knows that his talent level may not place him as a starter there, might be interested in Tech, and would be more interested, if he thought Tech was putting together a good class. Say, he's a RB and he sees that Tech is landing some very good OL, for instance. He'd be more inclined to consider Tech. Or a QB recruit would be influenced if Tech was recruiting some stud WRs, etc.....

I was in the recruiting business for 3 years, for a national service. I know a lot of kids have misguided or inflated dreams for themselves. Had a kid from a small, AA school, a RB, who was 5'10" 175 lbs and maybe had 4.8 speed...maybe. This kid was expecting to go to Ohio State, Miami or some SEC school! I tried to steer him toward a I-AA school, and he ended up going to Grambling, but quit his first year. So, I know, a program like Tech has to overcome some perception problems.

For Tech, there are some very good recruits that have dreams about playing at a big name school, but would be better served at a program like Tech. Those are the kids I would go after if I was a Tech coach. I'd go straight for the ones that LSU, Auburn, Texas, aTm, Oklahoma....are recruiting, not the VERY best those are recruiting, but the 2nd tier. The kids who may, or may not, end up starting for a big name school. But who are good enough to play at that level. Maybe at an Oklahoma, the kid might become a 2nd stringer and see some significant playing time....by the time he's a junior/senior. But at Tech, he would become a starter for sure, and be playing as a freshman/sophmore. If Tech approached 20 kids like that every year, and if we got only 2 or 3, it would be worth it. Just think, in 4 years, we could have 10-12 high quality players on the roster. Heck! we saw what just ONE high quality player can do, Eric Shaw!

And to be honest, Tech has had others that developed into high quality players that were not recruited by the biggies. Bobby Gray, Ryan Moats, Tim Rattay, Troy Edwards, all come to mind.

Time to raise the bar and go for it!
    Good Post. And you are right Eric Shaw was an enormous difference maker. (despite the off-field issues)

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13
    Good Post. And you are right Eric Shaw was an enormous difference maker. (despite the off-field issues)
    The only reason we got Eric Shaw was because he got arrested in Fla. and was run out of town by the Judge. We never recruited this guy.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88
    The only reason we got Eric Shaw was because he got arrested in Fla. and was run out of town by the Judge. We never recruited this guy.
    I don't think anyone was saying we recruited Shaw. That wasn't the point. But rather, once he was here, he was a difference-maker....that's the point. And, all I'm saying is, there are quality players out there that Tech can get, but we have to try for 'em first.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

I don't think anyone was saying we recruited Shaw. That wasn't the point. But rather, once he was here, he was a difference-maker....that's the point. And, all I'm saying is, there are quality players out there that Tech can get, but we have to try for 'em first.
    Exactly , and maybe the parents are who we need to sell this to. Tell 'em all the stories of kids who went to these SEC teams with high hopes and ended up riding the bench for four years. Who knows how many of these kids could have been stars if they could have gained experience on the field. Well they could get that PT at Tech. I mean if you do well @ an SEC/Big12 school you have a good shot at the NFL ,BUT you have a much better shot at the NFL playing at Tech than you do riding the bench at and SEC school. We'll give you PT are you willing to take that chance at LSU?

See , the problem is it would need to be a very mature HS Sr. to see this. Most have always been stars and can't possibly comprehend riding the bench in college. They envision starting as a Soph. Reality is far from that. Thats why you need to convince their folks. But I completely agree with you 80. We should be attcking these kids. If you only get 10% of them you are still a step above every one in the WAC (Fresno might be up there, they recruit a lot of PAC10 talent that just can't make the grades)

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

And it would not take very many of those "2nd tier" SEC/Big 12 kids to start making a big difference on the field in the WAC. Success begets success. Of course, our coaches need to know what to do with these kids when they get here...

Varsity Bulldog MADDAWGNBAMA has turned a few heads around hereMADDAWGNBAMA has turned a few heads around hereMADDAWGNBAMA has turned a few heads around hereMADDAWGNBAMA has turned a few heads around hereMADDAWGNBAMA has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by bustle
    Northeast lists 18 commits.....mark my words, only a handful of those will see the field....maybe 4...the others are heading to Munro, because that is their only chance at 1A ball.....THE ONLY CHANCE!

Glad to see you boys are battling the likes of McNeese for qb recruits....

That Farroux(sp?) is gonna be a great scout team qb....

Also saw that MTSU just nailed a All American JC linebacker(from Cali. i think)that you guys wanted terribly bad.......congrtas to them..

Word is, he wasnt excited about frequent flyer miles... LOL!!!!

Is all not well in paradise?
    Great post!!! We all know that you all are overjoyed with your losing season down in cajunland. Win some...ya lose some...we appreciate you coming up to Ruston and sharing that W with us.
    ________
    Toyota sz engine history
    Last edited by MADDAWGNBAMA; 02-16-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rphdawg
    I always thought great commitments help persuade others to join them at latech. R we just not getting good HS talent that other HS players would want to play with for the next 4 years. We need some stud commitments helping to lure other great players to the program.

Just think what it would say to a potential WR recruit if we had a top 25 HS QB commitment!!

Just look at the 2001 recruiting class poll and see how it ended up if you want to see how well recruiting has been going at LATECH.
    EXACTLY!!!

I was just about to post the same thing. We can't establish recruiting "momentum" because of this stupid "stealth recruiting" practice. If Tech's recruits have any "market value" at all (other than at LA Tech), you can bet they already know it.

HD

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

During the telecast of the Motor City Bowl, the announcers mentioned that UCONN's program took off when their QB Olorsky(spelling?) committed to them 4 yrs ago. When it was announced that he was going to UCONN, many other heavily recruited players chose UCONN too!

Good thing UCONN didn't believe in stealth recruiting, they wouldn't be where they are today.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

During the telecast of the Motor City Bowl, the announcers mentioned that UCONN's program took off when their QB Olorsky(spelling?) committed to them 4 yrs ago. When it was announced that he was going to UCONN, many other heavily recruited players chose UCONN too!

Good thing UCONN didn't believe in stealth recruiting, they wouldn't be where they are today.
    They also mentioned the top three draws for a recruit are 1) OUTSTANDING FACILITIES, 2) TV time, 3) Bowl Games. At least we got 1 out of 3 this year.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    EXACTLY!!!

I was just about to post the same thing. We can't establish recruiting "momentum" because of this stupid "stealth recruiting" practice. If Tech's recruits have any "market value" at all (other than at LA Tech), you can bet they already know it.

HD
    We may be doing stealth recruiting b/c the guys we are getting are not high quality. I just can't understand why we do this
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Bulldog Bull619 is on top of his/her gameBull619 is on top of his/her gameBull619 is on top of his/her gameBull619 is on top of his/her gameBull619 is on top of his/her gameBull619 is on top of his/her gameBull619 is on top of his/her gameBull619 is on top of his/her gameBull619 is on top of his/her gameBull619 is on top of his/her gameBull619 is on top of his/her game

I talked to an assistant coach a few days ago about recruiting. His take on being quiet about recruits, is that everytime we have a kid announce he is coming to Tech, people jump all over him trying to get him. He said you work your tale off to get a recruit and when he does commit normally a school from one of the powere conferences will try to come in and steal him. He may not have been there #1 choice, but was high on their list and if we were taking him and there #1 fell through then he must be good enough.

Like most of you on here I would like to know more, but in February if we have a good-looking class I will be happy. Especially since our recruiting didn't get started in earnest until after the Rice game, because Bicknell didn't know who he would be recruiting for.

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bull619
    I talked to an assistant coach a few days ago about recruiting. His take on being quiet about recruits, is that everytime we have a kid announce he is coming to Tech, people jump all over him trying to get him. He said you work your tale off to get a recruit and when he does commit normally a school from one of the powere conferences will try to come in and steal him. He may not have been there #1 choice, but was high on their list and if we were taking him and there #1 fell through then he must be good enough.

Like most of you on here I would like to know more, but in February if we have a good-looking class I will be happy. Especially since our recruiting didn't get started in earnest until after the Rice game, because Bicknell didn't know who he would be recruiting for.
    A good example of this would be Michael Bennett from last year's class. He signed with us and then left the team. When his name resurfaced in this year's class (after not playing for a year), he got offers from Cal, Arizona, and Texas A&M among others. He will sign with A&M. How did he get so good after sitting out a year? Why didn't they want him last year?

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bustle
    Northeast lists 18 commits.....mark my words, only a handful of those will see the field....maybe 4...the others are heading to Munro, because that is their only chance at 1A ball.....THE ONLY CHANCE!

Glad to see you boys are battling the likes of McNeese for qb recruits....

That Farroux(sp?) is gonna be a great scout team qb....

Also saw that MTSU just nailed a All American JC linebacker(from Cali. i think)that you guys wanted terribly bad.......congrtas to them..

Word is, he wasnt excited about frequent flyer miles... LOL!!!!

Is all not well in paradise?
    That's telling us! Way to go.

Let's see, you can talk trash because:

1) Your record against this inferior "Munro" team is stellar:

2002 at UL Lafayette 10, UL 34
    2003 at Laf Lafayette 42, UL 45
    2004 at UL Lafayette 10, UL 13

Nope, can't be that!

2) Your record against us is something to brag about:

1998 at Tech Lafayette 14, Tech 77
    1999 at Laf Lafayette 31, Tech 41
    2000 at Tech Lafayette 14, Tech 48

We obviously ducked you for two years here (just scared, I suppose).

2003 at Laf Lafayette 3, Tech 34
    2004 at Tech Lafayette 20, Tech 24

Nope, can't be that, either!

Must be Tech envy!

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by atobulldog
    Another brain fart on the part of the administration. How does it look to the recruits that we don't feel that we should recognize their committment to us, binding or not. Seems to me that we ought to publically recognize these guys once we confirm their intentions.
    NCAA forbids colleges from being the one's to publicly release commitments to media, etc.

Puppy frodog has turned a few heads around herefrodog has turned a few heads around herefrodog has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by T_Won
    A good example of this would be Michael Bennett from last year's class. He signed with us and then left the team. When his name resurfaced in this year's class (after not playing for a year), he got offers from Cal, Arizona, and Texas A&M among others. He will sign with A&M. How did he get so good after sitting out a year? Why didn't they want him last year?
    His younger brother is the #1 rated HS senior tight end in the country. That is the reason why he got offers after sitting out a year.

+ Reply to Thread