+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick's Gone!

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Nick's Gone!

So who is the leading candidate to replace him? There is a hotshot young coach up in Ruston, who once hiked the ball to some Flutie guy in some sort of big game a few years ago. Seems like I saw it on some highlight show once....

By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

After three days of emotional deliberations, personal and professional discussions with family members and close associates which tore Nick Saban in two directions, the Miami Dolphins have a new head coach.

Saban decided Saturday to leave his comfort zone at LSU, a university for which he has great respect and fondness, and accept the task of rebuilding the Dolphins organization, ESPN.com has learned. The decision came after long Thursday and Friday sessions at his home in Baton Rouge, where he weighed his future with his wife, Terry, and his agent, Jimmy Sexton.

The contract will be for five years and is worth $4.5 million-$5 million annually. Saban was to announce his decision, after apprising university officials and his players of it, at an evening news conference in Orlando. The contract will also provide Saban with near-absolute control over football-related decisions and allow him to help reshape the organization following a disastrous 2004 season.

Saban on Wednesday was formally offered the Dolphins job and told Dolphins and school officials he might need a day or two to come to a decision. Clearly, he wanted a resolution before Christmas, when his team was scheduled to leave for its bowl game, but could not meet his original timetable because of his strong feelings for LSU.

Sexton spent much of Wednesday meeting in Fort Lauderdale with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga discussing contract parameters. The two made what one source termed "significant progress" toward a deal, but an agreement wasn't struck. There remained some details to be hammered out and, more important, Saban needed time to examine the offer and review his own priorities. Sexton then hunkered down with Saban for nearly three days to discuss the options.

On Friday morning, Huizenga flew to Baton Rouge for another round of meetings. He had hoped to bring Saban back to Miami with him on his private plane, but the coach reiterated that he needed more time.

At no time, sources said, did LSU attempt to significantly augment Saban's contract. Two sources said that, at the outset of the process with Miami, school officials told Saban and Sexton how far they could go financially. There was never a formal counteroffer in an attempt to keep him in Baton Rouge.

There are likely to be dramatic changes now in the Dolphins organization.

Miami will hire a new team president to replace the much-respected Eddie Jones, who will retire in March, and the hiring of Saban could also end the tenure of general manager Rick Spielman, who has been a part of the search for the successor to Dave Wannstedt. It is anticipated that Saban would want to bring aboard his own general manager or personnel director to head the scouting department.

One of the deal-breakers 11 months ago, when Saban rejected the Chicago Bears head coach job, was that he was not offered control over some staffing and personnel matters. Confidants of Saban have reiterated to ESPN.com that control, particularly in terms of acquiring players, was a more critical issue to him than finances.

Saban began taking a hard look at the Miami job a year ago, when it appeared Wannstedt might be in trouble, following a second non-playoff season. A candidate for several NFL jobs since leaving the league to become head coach at Michigan State in 1994, Saban has always indicated he would return to the league only under optimum conditions.

Part of his attraction to the job was that Huizenga is regarded around the league as an owner who does not meddle in football matters, who essentially gets out of the way and lets his coach do his job. The other intriguing element for Saban is the opportunity to rebuild a football organization to his own specifications.

The Dolphins first huddled with Saban on Dec. 14, in a late-night meeting, and it was clear from the outset that he topped the Miami wish list. Teams officials also interviewed former Oakland Raiders coach Art Shell, currently a league vice president, and interim head coach Jim Bates for the position. But there was never any doubt that Saban was their man if a deal could be struck.

Saban, 53, has enjoyed great success at LSU, and leaving the school would be a difficult decision for him. As late as Tuesday morning, even before he had the Dolphins offer in hand, he told athletic director Skip Bertman that he probably faced a tough call and praised the school for its commitment to him and his family. After rebuffing the Bears advances, Saban signed a new seven-year contract, making him the highest paid college head coach in the country.

His team won the national championship in 2003 and, in five seasons in Baton Rouge, he compiled a 48-15 mark. The Tigers, who won their final six games this season to finish at 9-2, will face Iowa in the Capital One Bowl on New Year's Day.

In stints at LSU (2000-present), Michigan State (1995-99) and Toledo (1990), Saban had a record of 91-41-1.

His previous NFL experience came as secondary coach with the Houston Oilers (1988-89) and the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns (1991-94), where he worked on the staff of longtime friend Bill Belichick.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Nick's Gone!

Last year I told my next door neighbor, a huge LSU fan, that Saban was more likely to leave since he had his national championship in the bag. He said something to that effect tonite, that he had accomplished already what he hoped to at LSU. There was nothing more to do in BR.

Of course, he was not going to leave LSU, a very good job with very good pay, for just any job. It had to be the right situation. Apparently, the Fins have presented him that right situation.

I suspect LSU will now go after Butch Davis. But, even if Davis says no (and, why should he?) you can bet that Bertman will find another great coach. I said it then, Skip Bertman is the best thing to happen to LSU athletics in a long, long time. So, all you LSU haters don't get your hopes up...LSU football will be just fine post-Saban.

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar

Not a chance, hookdown. Not a chance in Hades.

Varsity Bulldog Edward_Longshanks is an unknown
    Little Rock, Arkansas (which will soon be part of the Kingdom)

Davis would say no if the rumors are true and he has experienced a nervous breakdown over the past year. Otherwise, he is the obvious choice and would serve LSU well.

They could opt for continuity and name Fisher as the head coach. On the face of it, that would look like a good idea. But Mike Archer looked like a good choice to replace Arnspargar (Probably spelled it incorrectly.) at the time LSU hired him.

Mistakes are made all the time when it comes to hiring coaches. Jeremy Foley at Florida is one of the best in the business. Yet when Spurrier left his list contained the following:

Stoops
    Shanahan
    Zook

Now, where in the world does anyone in their right mind think Zook belongs in that class of coach ready to take on the Florida job? Foley made great hires in the past. He clearly blew up that one. The guy came back and made a great hire in Meyer this year.

If Foley can screw it up, then Bertman can as well.

Bad thing for us is that even if Bertman were to screw it up, then we wouldn't be in a position to take advantage of it. We don't have the energy in the program that existed when Rattay and Edwards were featured attractions on the national college stage. There is lack of confidence in the coach, the program, and with the program's status in the WAC. For us to even gain consistent consideration with the state's big-time prospects not only requires uncertainty within the LSU program. It also demands that our program be rock-solid and climbing upwards.

We must strive to be a realistic option for Louisiana's higher-grade football player. Right now, our administrators seem to be satisfied with the status quo. That isn't good enough to bring in a consistent flow of the type of player LSU and the other big-name programs regularly attract.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

I saw in another article that one of the the "requirements" for the job is HC experience and that Fisher could wind up in Miami as well. Too bad we are in no position to take advantage of this recruiting-wise.

Champ soccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nice soccer_dawg9's Avatar

Butch Davis will probably sit out a year. I think they will go after Dennis Erickson from the San Fransico 49ers. It would be a step down from Saban, but Erickson could recruit the Florida region as well as Louisiana. Whoever takes over the team will have a top 15 team.

BleedTechBlue Barkman is just really niceBarkman is just really niceBarkman is just really niceBarkman is just really niceBarkman is just really niceBarkman is just really niceBarkman is just really niceBarkman is just really nice Barkman's Avatar

Jack Del Rio is an early front runner, but the timing is horrible for recruiting. I hate it for them. LMAO

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soccer_dawg9
    Butch Davis will probably sit out a year. I think they will go after Dennis Erickson from the San Fransico 49ers. It would be a step down from Saban, but Erickson could recruit the Florida region as well as Louisiana. Whoever takes over the team will have a top 15 team.
    When are WE getting a new head coach? I'm jealous.

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar

Guys, next year "I" could coach LSU to a winning season. They have 18 returning starters I think. The talent is there for the next coach. Saban is a hell of a recruiter. What may hurt LSU is future recruiting based on how good the next coach is at that.

One of the articles I saw said that a "requirement" for the job is previous HC experience. Too bad we cannot take advantage of this situation in our recruiting.

Varsity Bulldog johnnyba99 has turned a few heads around herejohnnyba99 has turned a few heads around herejohnnyba99 has turned a few heads around here johnnyba99's Avatar

Well, it won't be Butch Davis

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs...412280337/1006

And I find it hard to believe that Petrino would go to LSU and didn't even want to interview at Florida or Notre Dame. Unless he secretly interviewed.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Davis seems most likely. I wonder if they'll consider Price. After all, even preachers in Baton Rouge don't get fired for visiting hookers.

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc
    Davis seems most likely. I wonder if they'll consider Price. After all, even preachers in Baton Rouge don't get fired for visiting hookers.
    If they do, he will take it in a second. He would get a chance to stick it to Bama every year.

Varsity Bulldog beefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nice beefcakes's Avatar

And they may be abandoning ship like rats

ONE LSU RECRUIT LEAVES, FIVE OTHERS CONSIDERING

Associated Press
    BATON ROUGE, La. -- The consequences of Nick Saban's decision to leave LSU to the Miami Dolphins may have a big impact on the Tigers' recruiting Class of 2005.

LSU's once budding class of 11 commitments has endured the loss of tight end Dajleon Farr of Galena Park, Texas to Miami, Fla., while as many as five others may follow suit.

Several other national prospects, including defensive back Bryan Evans of Jacksonville, Fla. and offensive lineman Michael Turkovich of Valley Forge (Pa.) Military Academy, indicated they were no longer considering LSU.

"I don't know what's going on," said Kevin Myers, an offensive tackle from Compton (Calif.) Community College and one of LSU's remaining 10 pledges. "I'm not going to jump to conclusions."

Myers, 6-foot-6, 340-pound, committed to LSU before his Dec. 3 official visit and planned to sign with the Tigers on Feb. 2 before learning of Saban's decision.

"I just knew it was going to happen," Myers said. "Every time I get something good going in my life, something always seems to happen. It was hard watching the news."

Myers, who was recruited by LSU assistant Derek Dooley, said he plans to honor his commitment if Dooley and LSU offensive line coach Stacey Searels are retained by the school's new head coach.

"I was going there because of the things they've been doing," said Myers, who has also visited Oklahoma State and is also considering Oregon and USC. "I don't know what's going on. I don't know anyone there anymore."

Former Port Barre All-State defensive back Chris Keys, who committed to LSU on March 9, said that he is now undecided and will make official visits to Alabama and LSU in January.

"Those are my top two," Keys said. "I'm not going to make a decision until after making those visits. A lot of it will have to do with my family members. After that I'll know for sure."

Keys attended North Jackson High in Stevenson, Ala. after he was expelled April 28 from Port Barre High for an on-campus arrest for possession of marijuana. Keys said that he developed a greater admiration for Saban who never revoked his scholarship offer throughout his ordeal.

"Coach Saban wasn't only the head coach, but he was the defensive backs coach as well," Keys said. "When I was there in the summer (camp) he was the coach that worked with me. He's a great coach. Then when I got into trouble he tried to help me and supported me so that I could get my life on the right track. When he left that's when I started thinking about Alabama."

Current LSU commitments defensive lineman Al Jones of New Orleans-St. Augustine, offensive lineman Ciron Black of Tyler, Texas, and tight end Kyle Anderson of The Woodlands, Texas, have all indicated they intend to take official visits in January before rendering a final decision.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Thanks for posting that article, beefcakes. It shows how important the coach is in recruiting. I just posted on another thread the results of a national survey as to why athletes choose the schools they do.

Obviously, for these kids, they were not so much interested in playing at LSU, but rather in playing for Saban. I think this reinforces the results of that survey.

+ Reply to Thread