+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Future Football Schedule

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Future Football Schedule

[QUOTE=DeepGreen]
    The problem is not playing Penn State, nope, the problem is Jack Bicknell. UCF almost beat Penn State (28-21) and Toledo did beat Penn State. There is no reason for Tech to get blown out except we all know that Bick tells the team we have no chance, so don't try and don't get hurt.

Makes me wonder if Jack Bicknell and Darryll Dickey have been reading out of the same "How to coach a football team" 101 manual. For some reason, we just don't put as much effort into OOC games. ie, the 65-0 bashing Texas put on the Mean Green, plus others in years past.
    I can't speak for Dickey (ah, y'all don't refer to him as "Dick" for short, do ya?), but Bicknell (aka "Bick") does indeed not try against the biggies. That was even more obvious this year, with the lack of effort at Miami and Auburn.

In the past, UNT could afford to lay down in non-conference games because you are in the Belt, and running the table in the Belt is always doable. But, Tech can not follow that policy and hope to go bowling. With Boise State and Fresno State on the schedule every year, and playing at Hawaii often, and even Nevada and this year UTEP, there are a lot of tough games in the WAC. Tech went 5-3 in the WAC but the rollovers at Tenn, Miami and Auburn cost us bowl eligibility.

For Tech to be successful, we are either gonna have to lighten the load in our OOC and actually try to win every game, or get a lot better and be able to compete with some Top 15 teams. Looking at our 2005 OOC, it appears we have decided to lighten the load. No offense toward Florida, Kansas and UNT, because I know all three are good and are certainly capable of smacking Tech on any given day, BUT! that line up is no where near as tough as Tennessee, Miami and Auburn!

Bick has no excuses in 2005.

Varsity Bulldog Edward_Longshanks is an unknown
    Little Rock, Arkansas (which will soon be part of the Kingdom)

Now RougeDawg, what gave you that idea?

Seriously, I wish Tech would start thinking regionally. We have the good fortune to reside in a region where football is king and the local competition for the college football fans' dollar is not considerable.

Of course, the biggest attraction would be a better product on the field. But there are things the administrators could do to reach out on a regional basis to increase the interest. Forget a rivalry with ULM. Forge one with Arkansas. Imagine the coverage we could get in the neighboring state.

Big Dog DeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud of DeepGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80
    I can't speak for Dickey (ah, y'all don't refer to him as "Dick" for short, do ya?), but Bicknell (aka "Bick") does indeed not try against the biggies. That was even more obvious this year, with the lack of effort at Miami and Auburn.

In the past, UNT could afford to lay down in non-conference games because you are in the Belt, and running the table in the Belt is always doable. But, Tech can not follow that policy and hope to go bowling. With Boise State and Fresno State on the schedule every year, and playing at Hawaii often, and even Nevada and this year UTEP, there are a lot of tough games in the WAC. Tech went 5-3 in the WAC but the rollovers at Tenn, Miami and Auburn cost us bowl eligibility.

For Tech to be successful, we are either gonna have to lighten the load in our OOC and actually try to win every game, or get a lot better and be able to compete with some Top 15 teams. Looking at our 2005 OOC, it appears we have decided to lighten the load. No offense toward Florida, Kansas and UNT, because I know all three are good and are certainly capable of smacking Tech on any given day, BUT! that line up is no where near as tough as Tennessee, Miami and Auburn!

Bick has no excuses in 2005.
    I sure some NT fans have referred to him as Dick, amoung other names, but he is now often referred to as "Buick". Nothing flashy, he just runs and runs, plods along, but will eventually get us there. BTW, I agree with you post totally. NT has some rebuilding to do, for sure, but fans are getting restless running the table in the Sun Belt. If Dickey doesn't pull a rabbit out of the hat in the way of a capable QB that can do a little more than hand off to Jamario and Cobbs, we could be in some trouble next season.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I agree, I live in Little Rock and it would be awsome to have a good game at War Memorial. I know we have plenty of alumns up here and surrounding (especially in Memphis). We need more regional games. With the dawgs scheduling teams on the east and west coast, plus having our western conf games...us fans won't be able to drive or bus to see them playing away.

I don't mind playing ULM, but I really hate seeing our dawgs play at Malone stadium, it's a dump.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

[QUOTE=DeepGreen]
    The problem is not playing Penn State, nope, the problem is Jack Bicknell. UCF almost beat Penn State (28-21) and Toledo did beat Penn State. There is no reason for Tech to get blown out except we all know that Bick tells the team we have no chance, so don't try and don't get hurt.

Makes me wonder if Jack Bicknell and Darryll Dickey have been reading out of the same "How to coach a football team" 101 manual. For some reason, we just don't put as much effort into OOC games. ie, the 65-0 bashing Texas put on the Mean Green, plus others in years past.
    I can't believe this. DG is actually giving us a legitmate analysis of his UNT program and it's weaknesses. For once he's not telling us everything is perfect in Denton. That's a first.

About time.

HD

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    I can't believe this. DG is actually giving us a legitmate analysis of his UNT program and it's weaknesses. For once he's not telling us everything is perfect in Denton. That's a first.

About time.

HD
    Perhaps DG was reflecting on the butt-whupping the not-so-mean-green took at the hands of USM in the most recent N.O. Bowl.

That probably brought a whole bunch of UNT pukes back down to earth.

Big Dog DeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud of DeepGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg

About time.

HD
    Perfect in Denton? Not yet HogDawg, but we're getting there. Lots of facility upgrades going on in Denton. Boy, and how we've needed it!

Yes, we did get handled in New Orleans. Especially when your Offensive Coordinator is interviewed by another school(so the rumor goes) while the team is preparing for USM. Then the OC makes no halftime adjustments during the game.

Considering what the team went through at the beginning of the season with the death of QB Andrew Smith and Cobbs out for the year with an injury, I'd say we did OK. Still need to win the OOC games. Not winning them is our achilles heel. Next year won't give us much hope either. LSU, Kansas State, and La Tech. Naturally, I like our chances against Tech.:icon_wink

+ Reply to Thread