+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Indy Bowl Observations

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: My Indy Bowl Observations

That's a big 10-4 from here, D.

IMHO, North Louisiana NEEDS the I-Bowl. Just like New Orleans/Louisiana NEEDS the Saints. The I-Bowl IS a post-season bowl with decent history. The Saints makes New Orleans area a Major League City.
    As you have just posted, the attitude check, one of cooperation, is essential and desirable of both sides. But, we can't give away the farm!
    I guess Tech being "bowl eligible" would solve most of these attitudes.
    tm
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I think you are right T-mo -

If we beat Hawaii or if we beat UTEP and we were playing in Shreveport last night all of this discussion is a moot point and the I-Bowl would be the best thing since sliced bread to alot of the naysayers -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80
    Gee, too bad Tech was not available to bail out the I Bowl idiots. We did that once for that stupid bowl and what thanks did we get? Well, not once, BUT TWICE, the I Bowl turned its back on Tech (1997 and 2001). So, let the bowl rot.

How any Tech fan can support that bowl is beyond me.

Even Scott Ferrell agrees with that sentiment. In my exchange of emails with him recently, he acknowledged the screwing the I Bowl has done to Tech, twice. He also stated that the bowl will die if it doesn't get a title sponsor soon! Probably true....and good riddance.
    Don't leave out 1999 when #25 ranked Louisiana Tech stunned SEC CHAMPIONS Alabama and finished the season 8-3 with our three losses being to Texas A&M, Florida State, and U Southern Cal. The Independence bowl, the local bowl, told us to go screw ourselves!

The chairman said before we played our final game at S. Cal that "Louisiana Tech is not even being considered- period!". Louisiana Tech was the highest ranked team in both the AP and UPI polls to not be invited to a bowl in 1999.

There's your "I-bowl cooperation" sportsfans. That piece of dung could fold tomorrow and I simply wouldn't care.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin
    Don't leave out 1999 when #25 ranked Louisiana Tech stunned SEC CHAMPIONS Alabama and finished the season 8-3 with our three losses being to Texas A&M, Florida State, and U Southern Cal. The Independence bowl, the local bowl, told us to go screw ourselves!

The chairman said before we played our final game at S. Cal that "Louisiana Tech is not even being considered- period!". Louisiana Tech was the highest ranked team in both the AP and UPI polls to not be invited to a bowl in 1999.

There's your "I-bowl cooperation" sportsfans. That piece of dung could fold tomorrow and I simply wouldn't care.
    I agree

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Me being ever the optimist, but I believe that we will get into the CUSA in '06 when they lose one to the Big East and the I-bowl will somehow get tied in, as well. Otherwise, I do not believe that Shreveport would have been so closely tied to our CUSA negotiations...........

As pissed as I am at the I-Bowl for what they did to us in the past, North Louisiana doesn't need another hit to it's economy. They don't need to lose the Bowl, any bowl....

just my humble opinion.......

DFiH

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Screw the IBOWL! I could care less about who plays in it and will NEVER attend. The ONLY thing that would change my mind would be a Tech invite. They may have paid lip service to wishing Tech would have been eligible, but they were LYING! They could care less about Tech and I could care less about them.

A Tech invite and a CUSA tie in with Tech in CUSA would go a long way in getting my support back. Until that day - I will not be in attendance.

As for seeing 7 people in Tech garb, it would have been MUCH better to have seen 20,000 people in Tech garb standing in the parking lot holding a TECH pep rally during the game! That is what we should have done when they snubbed us the last time.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

So you could or could not care less?:icon_wink
    tm
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Well, I think the current I Bowl needs to die a painful death. Then, in the future, another bowl can start from scratch that would include a CUSA tie-in, if Tech is in CUSA. That's the answer. Because the current guiding forces of the I Bowl don't want anything to do with Tech or any school like us.

And, without a bowl, maybe the locals (I know, a BIG maybe) would be more interested in attending a Tech game vs. a Miami type of opponent as that would be their only chance to see big time college football in S'port.

S'port is a horrible sports' town. Probably the worst in the nation for a city its size. I think the locals are capable of coming out of their dens only once a year, and in the past, many have selected the I Bowl as that one time.

But, I hope the I Bowl dies. Everyone knows South Carolina would have been there if they had not imposed a ban on themselves this year. And, even though the I Bowl pays more than the Music City, notice where Bama opted to go...hmmmm. Shows you what the SEC thinks of S'port and their stupid bowl.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

From the I-bowl article in The Times today:

On Tuesday, the announced crowd of 32,145 represented a decline of nearly 17,000 fans from last year's Arkansas-Missouri game.

Miami, a 17-13 loser to Iowa State, brought an estimated 3,000 fans to the Independence Bowl...

Iowa State, meanwhile, brought approximately 7,000 fans to the game.

So much for that "Iowa State travels at least 30,000 fans everywhere they go" nonsense a certain BB&B poster stated ad-naseum on here a couple of years ago.

A total of 10K fans of the two teams showed while the other 22K were locals.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I'd say the estimate of Iowa State fans was close, maybe a little on the short side. No way Miami had 3,000 fans at the game, unless they refused to wear their school colors. More like 500, it seemed to me.

The game was close, but kind of boring. Very few big plays on offense. We're not used to seeing that much defense played. One thing that strikes me almost every D1 game I watch is how much tighter the defensive backs stick to their man than our guys. If we could ever stop the pass, I believe we'd have a winner, even with the head coach we have now.

Varsity Bulldog VegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the ears

Screw the I-Bowl. They made there choice a few years ago when they went with the Big 12 and SEC and left us out in the cold. We don't owe them anything and vice versa. Yea, it'd suck for the diehard sportsfans in North La. to lose the bowl but I could careless for those I-Bowl croonies. If they want to join up with Tech's conference then I might start caring. They could create an incredible boost for our university and our conference if they would align with us. It would be great for evryone involved.

Do I think they'll make the first move in do something to this effect....Nope.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Iowa State, meanwhile, brought approximately 7,000 fans to the game.

So much for that "Iowa State travels at least 30,000 fans everywhere they go" nonsense a certain BB&B poster stated ad-naseum on here a couple of years ago.

A total of 10K fans of the two teams showed while the other 22K were locals.
    I think you are confusing Iowa State with Kansas State. I've never seen anybody claim that Iowa State travels particularly well. However, I believe we've all seen evidence that KSU travels in HUGE numbers. It's commonplace for KSU to travel 20K to 25K to a bowl game.

As for the Indy Bowl, I'm starting to think Don may be right. If it died, then the folks in Shreveport would have to attend a Tech game if they wanted to attend ANY Div 1A game in Shreveport.

I'm sorry, but I just have no respect for those sorry bastards on the I-Bowl committee. The way they run their business, they deserve to have the business die. That's why they can't find a title sponsor for the game. Real business people know they are a bunch of red neck morons with a history of making bad decisions. You can't deal with people like that.

Former SEC commissioner Roy Kramer learned this the hard way back in 2001 when the WAC, the SEC and the Big 12 were trying to convince the I-Bowl to invite Tech. Such an arrangement was already agreed to by the Big 12, and would have resulted in a WAC bowl invite for Ole Miss. Of course, the I-Bowl didn't play ball and Ole Miss stayed home.

HD

No HD, everybody is aware that Kansas State travels well; I was refering to Iowa State. About 2-3 years ago a Tech fan on here argued adamantly that ISU always travels 30K+ to bowl and regular season games. It is obvious that they travel only 7K to Shreveport.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the completely uncooperative I-Bowl resting in the bed the committee (Krupika, Antee, etc.) made for themselves.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

No HD, everybody is aware that Kansas State travels well; I was refering to Iowa State. About 2-3 years ago a Tech fan on here argued adamantly that ISU always travels 30K+ to bowl and regular season games. It is obvious that they travel only 7K to Shreveport.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the completely uncooperative I-Bowl resting in the bed the committee (Krupika, Antee, etc.) made for themselves.
    I don't remember the Tech fan saying this, but I do remember an Ark. St. fan saying how well Iowa State travels.

Varsity Bulldog Tech74 is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    I'm sorry, but I just have no respect for those sorry bastards on the I-Bowl committee. The way they run their business, they deserve to have the business die. That's why they can't find a title sponsor for the game. Real business people know they are a bunch of red neck morons with a history of making bad decisions. You can't deal with people like that.

HD
    Nail. Head. Hit.

It's not the institution of the IBowl, it's the management. Who is on the committee, what are the power positions, official and unofficial, what are thier qualifications, do they utilize consultants and what outsiders pull strings? We don't need to access their parent's marriage licenses because we know those don't exist.

+ Reply to Thread