+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Sunbelt killing Tech?

Varsity Bulldog rcajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Is the Sunbelt killing Tech?

I'm not posting this as a flame but as a serious question. I firmly believe that CUSA killed Cajun football. We had a good program going and regularly beat the future CUSA teams in the late 80's and early 90's. Except for USM which always seemed to have our number. If memory serves we beat you guys four years straight. Well we weren't invited to the CUSA party and our team nose dived.

The Belt is getting better. We got two bowl teams this year and a few good out of conference wins. The WAC is getting worse with the addition of Idaho and NMSU. Do you think a few guys are heading for the Belt that would have gone to a Tech in a good WAC conference?

Since it seems we are never leaving the Belt, I wonder what the addition of Tech would do for us and you guys. I would also like to see USM in the Belt. CUSA isn't going to look to pretty when the big boys move on. A Belt with Tech and USM would be a good football conference. I would imagine ULM being in the Belt is the biggest drawback. I would hate for us to be in the same conference as McNeese. I think it hurt recruiting since we are so close.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: Is the Sunbelt killing Tech?

Quote Originally Posted by rcajun90
    Since it seems we are never leaving the Belt, I wonder what the addition of Tech would do for us and you guys. I would also like to see USM in the Belt.
    Keep wondering. USM in the 'belt? I don't think so.
    tm
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

BleedTechBlue Barkman is just really niceBarkman is just really niceBarkman is just really niceBarkman is just really niceBarkman is just really niceBarkman is just really niceBarkman is just really niceBarkman is just really nice Barkman's Avatar

One advantage we have over ULL and ULM is who we play in the WAC. If we are recruiting head to head vs UL-L-M- whoever, what advantage do we have on a South La kid? We will market ourselves better for USA but who knows?

Varsity Bulldog rcajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix
    Keep wondering. USM in the 'belt? I don't think so.
    tm
    Why not? Take a look at CUSA next year. It doesn't look all that great.

Varsity Bulldog Edward_Longshanks is an unknown
    Little Rock, Arkansas (which will soon be part of the Kingdom)

I could actually see some realignment taking place with the regional CUSA programs, the stronger Belt programs, and Tech.

If I knew that a certain four programs were staying in the WAC permanently, then I would be comfortable with Tech staying in place. Still get the feeling that the likes of Boise and Fresno will bolt to MWC as soon as they get the call. That will put the screws to us.

The Belt doesn't suit us because membership would not allow us to offer much differentiation from Monroe for prospects locally or regionally. We have an advantage over them now and we must try to retain it. I wouldn't think the CUSA programs would head to the Belt because it would be a step down for them in terms of bowl availability and revenue generation.

There are attractive Belt programs. You guys, North Texas, Troy, and possibly MTSU have something to offer. I'd love to see Tech find themselves within a tight regional football conference based in the south-central and southwest. Right now, neither the WAC, the Belt, or CUSA offer that. But there are components within all three conferences that would give us a very attractive mid-major football conference.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

The Sunbelt is not hurting Tech at all. I do agree that some of the teams of the belt and CUSA and Tech should get together and form a strong conference, though.

USM, Tulane, Tech, SMU, Rice, Houston, ULL, Tulsa.... would be a great start. I would NOT want UNT. I know that they have been stronger in football lately, but they are thought of as a lower regional school in Texas. We need some name recognition and UNT would present an image problem. See if we could woo TCU back into the fold, as well. I would then suggest to pull in a few name bball schools that could bring some prestige in. Tulsa will help with this, but we would need more.

UTEP would be the big question. They really want out West, anyway, so I might just cut them loose. They can go back to the WAC or try to get in the MWC.

CUSA would pretty much fold. The Sun Belt would fold, as well.

That would be AWESOME!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

To answer the question in the title of this thread, I think Tech is killing Tech.

In other words, our biggest problems stem from self-inflicted wounds.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80
    To answer the question in the title of this thread, I think Tech is killing Tech.

I totally agree.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

no wiser words have been posted on this board

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

See what happens when you start associating with certain elements,i.e. Tech once again playing the UL-X's ?

If only JO had made the deal with Marshall!!!!!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

AMEN! The thought that the Sunbelt has ANY influence over Tech is laughable. Even in a bad year (such as this year), Tech wins more football games (6 this year) in a tougher football conference (the WAC) than 90% of the Sunbelt teams do.

The Sunbelt is a one team (UNT) football league. Always has been. Everybody else is a doormat. Nobody but UNT has ever won a Sunbelt crown or played in their New Orleans Bowl game. UNT has won twentysomething straight Sunbelt games. So I find it laughable that ANYBODY from ULL could even think the Sunbelt is actually a REAL football conference. It's not.

Rcajun90, go figure out a way to beat UNT, then you can come back and see us. Until somebody beats UNT in the Sunbelt, everybody else is a joke. And that includes your beloved ULL.

Of course, I'm not posting this as a flame, but rather a serious point that you should consider.

HD

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    AMEN! The thought that the Sunbelt has ANY influence over Tech is laughable. Even in a bad year (such as this year), Tech wins more football games (6 this year) in a tougher football conference (the WAC) than 90% of the Sunbelt teams do.

The Sunbelt is a one team (UNT) football league. Always has been. Everybody else is a doormat. Nobody but UNT has ever won a Sunbelt crown or played in their New Orleans Bowl game. UNT has won twentysomething straight Sunbelt games. So I find it laughable that ANYBODY from ULL could even think the Sunbelt is actually a REAL football conference. It's not.

Rcajun90, go figure out a way to beat UNT, then you can come back and see us. Until somebody beats UNT in the Sunbelt, everybody else is a joke. And that includes your beloved ULL.

Of course, I'm not posting this as a flame, but rather a serious point that you should consider.

HD
    As always you are very tackful in your response. You forget about Troy State which knocked off Marshall, a ranked Mizzou team and lost to LSU by only 4 points. Also the lowly Cajuns almost left Ruston with a win this year. The Belt is getting better. UNT wasn't the best team in the conference this year but their coach is. If you watched any of their games on TV they played as a true team and managed to win. They could put you to sleep but you must admire the way they played.

I just asked a question. I know how you feel. Thank you for your input.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

As long as ULL keeps losing to ULM, they have a very serious problem. Is ULM killing ULL?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg

HD
    HD, I hate to mention this, but no one in the WAC has figured out how to beat Boise, since 2001. And, as a member, Boise is now 30-2 all time in WAC play. Their losses were to Tech and Rice, and now Rice is gone, so Tech is the ONLY team left in the WAC that can claim a conference win over 'em. Does that make the WAC a lesser conference? No, of course not.

My point is, it is not because UNT has won the Belt every year that that conference sucks, it sucks because, well, it just sucks.

BUT! it is true several programs in the Belt are getting better, so the league is getting better. How could it not? When you're at the bottom, there is only one direction you can go! :icon_razz

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

The difference, I think, is that the team that dominates the WAC is considerably better than the team that dominates the Sunbelt. To answer tha original question, no, the Sunbelt is not killing (or even hurting) Louisiana Tech.

+ Reply to Thread