+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where Does Moats Rank in Tech History?

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

Where Does Moats Rank in Tech History?

Since we all know by now that Moats is gone from LA Tech...the question now turns to:

"Where does Moats rank in line of great players at Tech?"

I personally started following Tech athletics when Rattay and Edwards went off on Nebraska. I have followed much more since becoming a student in 2001. So my perspective is only from around the time of the Crowton era.

I've seen Rattay, Edwards, Daigre, Simon, Smith and McCown. And for me personally I rank Moats on top of them all. I have never witnessed a back that excited me as much as Moats has. The only thing that comes close for me, was watching Sanders as a young kid. The way he played the game was just something to watch. I could not explain it.

From his physical skills to his on the field persona to his personality off the field...Moats was great all around. I had people going to games with me...just to see Moats. I had die hard ULM fans telling me they were going to have to go out to Joe Aillet to see Moats run before he's gone. He put the Fresno game on his back at gave Tech one of the most memorable wins in our history.

So for me...Moats was it. He was the real deal. I don't care if you think he translates well to the pros or if you think he may a bad decision...what he did in his brief three year stint here at Tech was remarkable. So in my opinion...Ryan Moats ranks as the best LA Tech player of all time. He made the nation look at Tech athletics again. I will always remember Ryan Moats.

So what is your take? Where does Ryan Moats rank?
    Last edited by rockdog; 01-04-2005 at 12:59 PM.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Re: Where Does Moats Rank in Tech History?

At the risk of bringing ridicule from Dirtydawg, Tim Rattay is the best football player I ever saw at Tech. That said, there are several others who could compete for the number 2 spot, and Moats is certainly one of them. Moats is without a doubt the best running back I've seen at Tech, and my history with the program goes back to Jason Cooper to Lee Ragsdale to Bobby Ray Tell to John Simon to Joe Smith to Ralph Davis to Ryan Moats.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Re: Where Does Moats Rank?

Quote Originally Posted by rockdog
    Since we all know by now that Moats is gone from LA Tech...the question now turns to:

"Where does Moats rank in line of great players at Tech?"

I personally started following Tech athletics when Rattay and Edwards went off on Nebraska. I have followed much more since becoming a student in 2001. So my perspective is only from around the time of the Crowton era.

I've seen Rattay, Edwards, Daigre, Simon, Smith and McCown. And for me personally I rank Moats on top of them all. I have never witnessed a back that excited me as much as Moats has. The only thing that comes close for me, was watching Sanders as a young kid. The way he played the game was just something to watch. I could not explain it.

From his physical skills to his on the field persona to his personality off the field...Moats was great all around. I had people going to games with me...just to see Moats. I had die hard ULM fans telling me they were going to have to go out to Joe Aillet to see Moats run before he's gone. He put the Fresno game on his back at gave Tech one of the most memorable wins in our history.

So for me...Moats was it. He was the real deal. I don't care if you think he translates well to the pros or if you think he may a bad decision...what he did in his brief three year stint here at Tech was remarkable. So in my opinion...Ryan Moats ranks as the best LA Tech player of all time. He made the nation look at Tech athletics again. I will always remember Ryan Moats.

So what is your take? Where does Ryan Moats rank?
    Quick look at your era (1997-present):

Talent:
    Edwards
    J Jordan
    Moats
    B Gray
    McCown
    Rattay
    J Simon

Player (performance while at LaTech):
    Rattay
    Edwards
    Moats
    J Jordan / J Simon
    B Gray
    McCown

Value to Program (while at LaTech & after):
    Rattay
    Edwards
    McCown
    J Simon
    J Jordan
    Moats
    B Gray

Just a quick overview. I am sure I have missed some....help me out.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Re: Where Does Moats Rank?

Louisiana Tech has been blessed with a multitude of good backs...Harper, Moody, McDaniels, White, Douglas, Davis, Cooper, et al. Had Moats stayed for his senior season, he would have eclipsed all of them.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

I loved watching Troy catch passes from Rattay.

I loved watching Moats run and occasionally catching a pass from Luke.

Those two choices are like having two good looking identical twin sisters who want you. Which one do you pick? I would pick them both!

I will cast my winning vote for Ralph Davis. He needs a vote because he started while Ryan was back-up.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

In your era, you may be right. I can't personally put Moats ahead of Rattay or Edwards right now, but I wouldn't put him too far behind either. Rattay/Edwards had more success at Tech, but they had a better coach. With a good qb, who knows what Ryan could've done. But, if you're going to talk about the best football players to ever come out of Tech, you must mention Willie Roaf and Terry B. Roaf is a perenial (spelling) pro-bowler and we need not discuss Mr. Bradshaw's accomplishments.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg
    At the risk of bringing ridicule from Dirtydawg, Tim Rattay is the best football player I ever saw at Tech. That said, there are several others who could compete for the number 2 spot, and Moats is certainly one of them. Moats is without a doubt the best running back I've seen at Tech, and my history with the program goes back to Jason Cooper to Lee Ragsdale to Bobby Ray Tell to John Simon to Joe Smith to Ralph Davis to Ryan Moats.
    Tim's a very good choice, however, I don't think he would have had the numbers he did without Troy Edwards or the receiving corps he had here. With Luke's receivers, he would have had closer to Luke's numbers. Remember, Luke won the WAC with Simon, Daigre and Jordan. The same receivers that Tim had plus Tim had Cangelosi. Imagine what Luke could have done with receivers like those who weren't scared to go into traffic for a ball. That being said, it was easier to run the "Tech" offense with Tim because he could call the play at the line and audible into something that would work whereas anytime that Luke audibled, it never seemed to have worked. Of course, that could be due to the receivers again.

But the question is, who was the best at Tech? In my limited knowledge of Tech football, I'm going to have to go with Ryan simply because anything he got, he basically got on his own. The others that have been mentioned had great supporting casts around them, but Ryan had to bite and scratch for everything he got.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Tim Rattay was probably the best COLLEGE qb to ever play the game - anywhere -

If Jason Davis hadn't squandered his God given talent he would had smashed every Tech rushing record out there - because JRP ran the ball first and threw second and he ran behind great lines -

Ryan was good and the right back for the offense we ran (much better with Luke as qb) - he is probably a top 5 player maybe even a second five player but probably not in the top 3 -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Based on winning, maybe Denny Duron is the best ever player in Louisiana Tech history.

+ Reply to Thread