+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RDL article on Michigan Dawg

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

RDL article on Michigan Dawg

Cordaro makes move to Michigan
    Ruston, Tech grad named GM of Devil Rays' affiliate

By Bret H. McCormick
    Prep Editor

Martie Cordaro sat at a table in his parents' kitchen Friday morning, talking about his new job — a job that has taken him some 1,000 miles away from home.

Cordaro, a Ruston High and Louisiana Tech alum, recently accepted a position as General Manager for the Southwest Michigan Devil Rays, the Class A affiliate of Major League Baseball's Tampa Bay franchise.

The move to Battle Creek, Mich., in October was just another in a series of steps up the ranks of Minor League Baseball for Cordaro, who has worked in the business for the past six years after leaving Louisiana Tech.

He began his career as a sales rep for the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx, the AA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs, in late 1999. Afterwards, Cordaro was promoted to Director of Marketing and Sales for the Diamond Jaxx and eventually moved to the White Sox AA affiliate in Birmingham at the same position.

Cordaro stayed with the Barons, made famous because they were the team Michael Jordan played for after his first retirement from the NBA, for the past two years before he began exploring other opportunities within Minor League Baseball.

"A couple of opportunities came up at the beginning of (2004)," Cordaro said. "Sarah, my wife, and I investigated and didn't really like what we saw. This came up in June. We were contacted about visiting Battle Creek."

The Cordaros decided to venture up to Michigan on July 9 to investigate the Battle Creek community and "see if this was an area where we could be successful," Cordaro said.

"There was a positive enthusiasm for baseball in the community leaders that wasn't apparent in the stadium," Cordaro said. "I felt if someone could put out a product the community could truly support, be proud of and value, it appeared from a local standpoint it could be successful in Battle Creek."

Battle Creek is a small community of about 55,000 to 60,000 people, Cordaro said. However, the market is untapped because the surrounding areas, including Kalamazoo, including nearly 300,000 citizens.

The short history at Battle Creek hasn't been a very prolific one. In 1995, the team opened as an affiliate of the Boston Red Sox and drew over 175,000 fans during that first season.

However, since that first year attendance has dwindled, all the way to 94,000 fans in 2004 (roughly 1,400 a game). Cordaro hopes to bring interest in baseball back to Battle Creek.

And he will be aided with a new ownership team. The Battle Creek Yankees have become the Southwest Michigan Devil Rays for the 2005 season after being purchased by Fun Entertainment, which also owns the Lexington Legends and hopes to expand to own more teams in the future, Cordaro said.

"Our goal is to own six or seven clubs in the next four years," Cordaro said. "It's very exciting to get in on the ground level of something like this. We are going to be community focused and charity focused and give people the best in family-oriented fun."

Some good players have come through Battle Creek through the years. Former Tech standout T.J. Soto played there when it was an Astros' affiliate, as did Carl Pavano (1995), Johan Santana and Roy Oswalt (1999).

Pavano, Santana and Oswalt all finished the 2004 season in the top five of their respective league's Cy Young Award race.

Cordaro said a big part of the reasoning behind his move to Michigan was what Fun Entertainment CEO and President Alan Stein has done with Lexington, a Class A team with about the same market size as Battle Creek.

Stein's Legends have drawn over 400,000 fans a year for the past four years, and Cordaro said he foresees the same type of success with the Devil Rays.

"That played a big part in helping me make this decision," Cordaro said. "I can see their success and see what they expect. I want to be counted on by Fun Entertainment to run a successful business in Southwest Michigan."

Cordaro said speculation ran throughout the Battle Creek area that the team might move before the sale to Fun Entertainment, and his first challenge as GM is "to secure in people's minds in Battle Creek and Southwest Michigan that this team is staying."

"Our goal is to create a destination for families to come and have fun," he added. "We want to create an environment that is safe to bring friends, family and business associates. We want to be the destination for all fun in Southwest Michigan. On top of that, we have some baseball going on, too."

The next step for the Devil Rays is to get a new stadium in place. The current stadium, C.O. Brown Stadium, is located in Battle Creek, but the Devil Rays' administration would like to have a ballpark more centrally located in the Southwest Michigan area.

"I want to turn this franchise around, build a new facility and learn as much as I can in the next three to four years," Cordaro said. "Then I want to start moving towards ownership."

That's Cordaro's long-term goal — to own a Minor League Baseball team in some fashion. Whether that's in management with Fun Entertainment or somewhere else is to be determined.

Cordaro said the reason he is involved with Minor League Baseball is the community, and he believes the Southwest Michigan community is ready to embrace the new organization.

"I think if done correctly we can give back to the community, give back to charity and provide valuable entertainment," Cordaro said. "I believe we are valuable to the community year-round. We are not focused on wins and losses and winning the World Series. We don't have a $150 million payroll."

Although the Southwest Michigan Devil Rays won't have a major league payroll, Cordaro said Fun Entertainment wants them to be a part of a major league caliber operation.

Once Fun Entertainment expands to six or seven teams in Minor League Baseball, Cordaro said the group's goal is to draw a major league attendance — roughly 2.5 million fans per year among all the teams.

Cordaro is eager to get started with the challenge of turning Southwest Michigan into a machine, and he believes the Devil Ray franchise will benefit its Class A affiliate greatly.

"Tampa Bay has been great," Cordaro said. "One benefit to us changing affiliates is Tampa Bay is not a major market. They have to develop talent from within (the organization)."

Champ Bossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really nice Bossdawg's Avatar

Re: RDL article on Michigan Dawg

If I were JO, I would be sh*ting in my pants right now for fear that someone at Tech with a brain will read the article and start seeing light bulbs, but right now he is safe because I can not think of such a person.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bossdawg
    If I were JO, I would be sh*ting in my pants right now for fear that someone at Tech with a brain will read the article and start seeing light bulbs, but right now he is safe because I can not think of such a person.
    Well he isn't worried b/c JO has job security. Obviously, like Bicknell, it doesn't matter if you produce or not. As long we are not being investigated by the NCAA, everything is fine. Who at Tech has the authority to hire and fire the AD? Is it Reneau? Or other big alumni w/ lots of $$$$. I know for a fact that Martie would be a tremendous asset to Tech. His vision is not that of a tunnel. It can't be to be successful. Here is the million dollar question. How do we get him in the AD seat? He is no doubt qualified.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ NashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the rough

He'd get my vote. Oh wait.... I don't get to vote on this. Curses!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bossdawg
    I was just thinking the same thing, BD. If Marty can turn that Michigan franchise around over the next couple of years, LOOKOUT! It would be foolish for Tech to NOT hire the guy.

Congrats to Marty Cordaro and his family. This is a nice article. I wish Marty and his family all the best.

HD

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Just wanted to say thanks for the kind words and well wishes.

We are doing great here in Michigan, COLD, but great.

Martie Cordaro

+ Reply to Thread