+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My plan to end the BCS once and for all.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: My plan to end the BCS once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by lsuhater
    You guys are making my argument for me. This thread started out being how football fans need and can have a national champion. There is no greater sport on the planet than college football, well except for ky wrestling, and there is no champion. There should not be these arguments going on about who was the champ a year ago should not exist. Let's end the BCS. It's in the hands of football fans, but I don't think that there is enough passion to end this nonsense as there is to passon to argue about who was the best team in 2003.
    Actually, I'm beginning to think that a playoff would not be a good thing. First off, if there is a playoff, Tech and similar schools will very rarely make it, if ever. Whereas, with a 7-4 record, we have a better shot at a bowl game. Heck we had a shot at one this year if we had only played 11 games and not scheduled Tennessee at the last minute and we'd have been 6-5. Second, there will always be the argument by other schools that they had a bad matchup or would have won if they had played a different team. Take the BCS this year. Many people are saying the Auburn or Utah would have matched up better with USC than Oklahoma did. You'll have the same thing with a playoff. Finally, I just like the bowl season. The cities that the bowls are in make a big to do of it. I don't see them doing that for playoffs. In another thread, there was talk of paying athletes. Well, a bowl game is the closest thing they get to payment with all the gifts and other regalia, and if we take the bowls away, I just don't see cities making a pageant of an occasional playoff game.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    Actually, I'm beginning to think that a playoff would not be a good thing. First off, if there is a playoff, Tech and similar schools will very rarely make it, if ever. Whereas, with a 7-4 record, we have a better shot at a bowl game. Heck we had a shot at one this year if we had only played 11 games and not scheduled Tennessee at the last minute and we'd have been 6-5. Second, there will always be the argument by other schools that they had a bad matchup or would have won if they had played a different team. Take the BCS this year. Many people are saying the Auburn or Utah would have matched up better with USC than Oklahoma did. You'll have the same thing with a playoff. Finally, I just like the bowl season. The cities that the bowls are in make a big to do of it. I don't see them doing that for playoffs. In another thread, there was talk of paying athletes. Well, a bowl game is the closest thing they get to payment with all the gifts and other regalia, and if we take the bowls away, I just don't see cities making a pageant of an occasional playoff game.
    A 32 team playoff is the answer. That utilizes all the bowl games and makes them meaningful and doesn't extend the season. You have 11 or 12 conference champs (how many ever 1-a conferences there are) and the rest are at large. Of course the big conferences probably wouldn't like it because they would not get as many teams in bowls. But you structure the money like it is in basketball. The further you advance the more you get, and that is almost always going to be the major conferences.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47
    A 32 team playoff is the answer. That utilizes all the bowl games and makes them meaningful and doesn't extend the season. You have 11 or 12 conference champs (how many ever 1-a conferences there are) and the rest are at large. Of course the big conferences probably wouldn't like it because they would not get as many teams in bowls. But you structure the money like it is in basketball. The further you advance the more you get, and that is almost always going to be the major conferences.
    Sounds great to me. University presidents will never let it happen (as coaches will be hesitant as well). And, how do we have a 32 team play-off without extending the season too much?

Varsity Bulldog lsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nice lsuhater's Avatar

Check this out. This is the simplest format. Take the 4 BCS games that we have now, play them just the same as they do now, but I'm gonna make them more important, more watchable than they are now. The four BCS games are essentially the Elite Eight. Then each BCS game, not just one is a very important, very meaningful game. Then the NCAA can get even more sponsorship money from advertisers the next weekend in the Final Four, and then the championship. Play all of the other bowl games. If Tech is good enough, they can make it to the Humanitarian Bowl or whatever, and once in a blue moon they may have season like Utah and make it to a BCS game. Sure a team like Cal might complain about getting left out this year, but I would rather hear a conference runner-up complaining, than a 13-0 SEC champion wondering how they would have matched up against USC. Cities aroound the country still have their bowl games. Players get to get their merchandise if that's what's really important. And we get a champion. Even if players don't get merchandise -- who cares. They got an education. They get to play college football. I want a champion.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lsuhater
    Check this out. This is the simplest format. Take the 4 BCS games that we have now, play them just the same as they do now, but I'm gonna make them more important, more watchable than they are now. The four BCS games are essentially the Elite Eight. Then each BCS game, not just one is a very important, very meaningful game. Then the NCAA can get even more sponsorship money from advertisers the next weekend in the Final Four, and then the championship. Play all of the other bowl games. If Tech is good enough, they can make it to the Humanitarian Bowl or whatever, and once in a blue moon they may have season like Utah and make it to a BCS game. Sure a team like Cal might complain about getting left out this year, but I would rather hear a conference runner-up complaining, than a 13-0 SEC champion wondering how they would have matched up against USC. Cities aroound the country still have their bowl games. Players get to get their merchandise if that's what's really important. And we get a champion. Even if players don't get merchandise -- who cares. They got an education. They get to play college football. I want a champion.
    That's cool, but I'd like to see something where a few more are included. I'd like to see a 32 team play-off, but I don't think it'll ever happen. I think 8 teams wouldn't help the little school's out much. Under that system this year, we've got 2 other undefeateds teetering on the line BSU and UL. I don't really think anything will happen for the next couple of years...I hope I'm wrong.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    Sounds great to me. University presidents will never let it happen (as coaches will be hesitant as well). And, how do we have a 32 team play-off without extending the season too much?
    You play 16 games the 2nd weekend in Dec, 8 games the 3rd weekend, 4 games the 4th weekend, 2 games the first weekend in Jan, the championship game the 2nd weekend. But you use the existing bowl games for the sites of the games.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Face it, any playoff is better than the BCS in my opinion. I personally favor the 16 team version (11 Champs, 5 at large). Even with a playoff you can still have a bunch of bowls for everyone else. Though there are about 12-15 too many bowls as it stands now, they could still continue if they could find enough teams.

Puppy Junkyard Dawg is an unknown Junkyard Dawg's Avatar

LSUHater, you're point is well taken. I HATE that the great adventure we know as College Football is plagued by these endless debating idiots, err... or is it snotty little pricks? The game deserves better. We deserve to have a clearcut champion at seasons end. But alas, we cannot because there are no means by which to settle it on the field. Instead we have to rely on polls (read subjective biased opinions) and computer numbers (read objective biased opinions) to tell us an answer nobody likes. I don't see it changing anytime soon either, so for now we can only take your suggestions and other ideas like them and try to make an impact. Meanwhile, we can hope that the game never loses the things we love so much about it, despite all this garbage that surrounds it.

Now then, Mr. HogDawg.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    Now you've given everybody 2 reasons to know you are a snotty little prick.

First, without being provoked, you called me an idiot, which only proves that you are personally intimidated by my overall beauty, compassionate mind and superior intellect. Compared to your "pea sized" brain, we can certainly understand the bitterness and disgust you must feel every time you look into a mirror.

Secondly, after USC's 55-19 assassination of Oklahoma, only a genuiine, certified FOOL (or a blind Auburn fan) would try to compare Auburn favorably to USC. Hell, the Auburn-VA Tech game was a snoozer. Auburn barely won. Other than Iowa's win over fast falling LSU, the Auburn-VA Tech debacle was the most boring bowl game of the season.

HD
    Until people like you stop believing that simply because you think something is true it has to translate into reality, LSUHater's dream will never come to pass. You ASSUME that you know what would happen if USC and Auburn met on the field, and because in your mind you believe it so much, you negate the need for it to happen in reality. This is the same mindset that says we don't need a playoff system in College Football to determine a National Champion, because you KNOW what would happen already.

You call me "a genuiine, certified FOOL (or a blind Auburn fan)", which I am neither, because I say that it can ONLY be settled on the field, not in a debate of opinions. I say it is foolish to think you know what the outcome would be if these two great teams played simply because you believe you have a "superior intellect".

Now, since I was blunt in calling you an idiot without explaination, I must apologize. Your point I believe was that USC is better than LSU. You attempted to qualify that opinion by a few arguments, none of which make any sense.
    First, LSU's National Championship is not mythical. It actually happened. They won the BCS Title game in the Sugar Bowl a year ago. They got rings and everything. Now, USC also won the National Championship last year, by finishing #1 in the AP poll.
    Secondly, USC is not the TRUE reigning champion. There is no such thing in College Football. You don't get points based on last years performance. And likewise, a 03 Natl Championship for USC means nothing towards getting it in 04. They are completly different teams, completely different titles. You're tone suggests that LSU is no champion at all since they didn't win again this year, and USC did. That idea is obsurd. There is no corelation between 03 and 04 Tigers and what they did as a team, and even none between the 03 and 04 Trojans and what they did because they are not the same teams. If neither team had graduated any seniors or played any freshman, then that would be a fair judgement to make, but it simply isn't. By the way, that also eliminates you're argument that Oklahoma was a much better team this year than last. While it may or may not be true, there's no way to know unless they could play each other.
    Lastly, the fact that USC is still winning says alot about their program, but nothing about their championship team. They are no more or less champions because of the 03 teams accomplishments. Likewise, the 03 LSU Tigers are no less champions because the 04 team went 9-2 and lost a bowl game. On the ropes doesn't fit at all. Jack Bicknell is "on the ropes" now that Moats is gone for next year. Now that fits.

I hope that explaination qualifies the label of "Idiot" I gave you. I have nothing against you personnally and will not stoop to attacks on your personal appearance, intellect, brainsize, sensitivity to others, or level of self worth. I think I'll stick to dismissing your ludicrous statements as "Idiocy". Afterall, it seems you can't help it or else it wouldn't happen so often. I hope that you can one day get past your blind hatred of LSU. I've seen you post some excellent ideas on this board over the past few years, but the Tigers numb your thought process a bit.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Bottom line is the university presidents are not interested in a playoff so it ain't gonna happen. I think I'm ready for the bcsbs to go play with themselves and the mid-major level become their own division with a playoff system which would give the Dawgs something to play for other than money and an ass whippin. But our presidents are just as unmotivated as the big boys' I'm afraid.

Bulldog Tech96 is an unknown Tech96's Avatar

Playoff or no playoff, there will always be someone complaining about it. They should go back the pre BCS days. Even though there was controversy I don't believe it caused as much uproar as the BCS has, even if you let it play out on the field there is some complaining anyway.

+ Reply to Thread