+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WAC #1 in BOWLS

Champ TECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really nice TECHAJUN's Avatar

WAC #1 in BOWLS

WAC Boasts Best Three-Year Bowl Winning Percentage

http://www.wacsports.com/article.asp?articleid=65033

DENVER - Over the last three years, the Western Athletic Conference has the
    best winning percentage in bowl games of any conference in the nation. The
    WAC has sent 11 teams to postseason games since 2002 and those teams have
    won 63.6 percent of those games with a 7-4 record. The ACC is a close
    second winning 63.2 percent of its games. WAC teams won two of four bowl
    games in 2004, three of four in 2003 and two of three in 2002. WAC bowl
    teams also are 4-2 in bowl games against teams from conferences that have an
    automatic berth into the BCS during this three-year span.

In all three seasons, Boise State, Fresno State and Hawai'i have competed in
    bowl games. Those three teams are a combined 7-2. Fresno State is 3-0 with
    all three wins coming against BCS teams, while Boise State and Hawai 'i have
    gone 2-1 the last three seasons.

"WAC football is once again showing the nation how competitive it really
    is," said WAC commissioner Karl Benson. "This year, all four of the WAC's
    representatives were involved in some of the most exciting games of the
    postseason including the highest scoring game and the only overtime
    contest."

Hawai'i defeated UAB in the Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl, 59-40, the highest
    scoring game of this year's bowl games. The 59 points scored by the
    Warriors were also the most ever scored by a WAC team in a bowl game.
    Fresno State beat Virginia in the MPC Computers Bowl, 37-34, in the
    postseason's only overtime contest of the year. UTEP and Boise State came
    up a bit short in their bowl games, but both teams had fourth-quarter leads
    and a chance to win their games in the final minutes.

3-Year 3-Year
    2004 2003 2002 Combined Winning
    Conference Bowls Bowls Bowls Record Percentage
    WAC 2-2 3-1 2-1 7-4 .636
    ACC 3-3 5-1 4-3 12-7 .632
    MAC 2-3 2-0 1-1 5-4 .556
    SEC 3-3 5-2 3-4 11-9 .550
    Big Ten 3-3 3-5 5-2 11-10 .524
    Pac-10 3-2 4-2 2-5 9-9 .500
    Big 12 4-3 2-6 5-3 11-12 .478
    Big East 2-3 2-3 3-2 7-8 .467
    Conference USA 3-2 1-4 2-3 6-9 .400
    Mountain West 2-1 1-2 0-3 3-6 .333
    Sun Belt 0-2 0-1 1-0 1-3 .250

2004 WAC Bowl Results
    Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl: Hawai'i 59, UAB 40
    MPC Computers Bowl: Fresno State 37, Virginia 34 (OT)
    EV1.net Houston Bowl: Colorado 33, UTEP 28
    AutoZone Liberty Bowl: Louisville 44, Boise State 40

2003 WAC Bowl Results
    PlainsCapital Fort Worth Bowl: Boise State 34, TCU 31
    Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl: Hawai'i 54, Houston, 48 (3OT)
    Silicon Valley Football Classic: Fresno State 17, UCLA 9
    Humanitarian Bowl: Georgia Tech 52, Tulsa 10

2002 WAC Bowl Results
    Hawai'i Bowl: Tulane 36, Hawai'i 28
    Silicon Valley Football Classic: Fresno State 30, Georgia Tech 21
    Humanitarian Bowl: Boise State 34, Iowa State 16

Article Online:
    http://www.wacsports.com//article.asp?articleid=65033

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: WAC #1 in BOWLS

Very interesting. Thanks!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Thanks for posting this. You should go post this info on the ULL fan board. And the UNT fan board. And the Sunbelt fan board.

By the way, unlike CUSA, none of the WAC's bowl victories are over "lowly" Sunbelt teams. The WAC's bowl victories are all over REAL Div 1A football teams, including BCS schools Georgia Tech, Iowa State, UCLA and Virginia.

Congrats to the WAC.

HD
    Last edited by HogDawg; 01-07-2005 at 11:23 AM.

Big Dog Rickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really nice

Its a nice number, BUT...

No BCS bids, and other conferences are sending 20+ teams to bowls over the three years compared to the WAC sending 11 teams to bowls. WAC teams are playing lesser competition in their bowls than some of the other conferences.

We need a WAC team (preferably us of course) to pull a Utah some time in the next few years. And we need more WAC teams going to bowls.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rickeydad
    Its a nice number, BUT...

No BCS bids, and other conferences are sending 20+ teams to bowls over the three years compared to the WAC sending 11 teams to bowls. WAC teams are playing lesser competition in their bowls than some of the other conferences.
    My God Rickeydad, can you read? You complain that the WAC only sent 11 teams to bowls? Let's look at our "non-BCS" competition:

BOWL Appearances since 2002:

WAC = 11
    MWC = 9
    CUSA = 15
    MAC = 9
    Sunbelt = 4

That's not half bad for the WAC. We never said we were the SEC or the Big 10. In fact, all you guys that want LA Tech to seriously consider moving "down" to the Sunbelt should take note of the Sunbelt's lowly 4 appearances.

HD

Big Dog Rickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really nice

Hogdawg, my error. Your points are right on. Its January 7, and I've already submitted my worst post of the year, on any board!

Note to self, read entire thread next time.

Momentarily humbled, tale tucked in,
    Rdad.
    Last edited by Rickeydad; 01-07-2005 at 01:47 PM.

OK, so let's go with this:

The WAC sent more than the MWC (home of several former WAC schools) over the same time period.

How 'bout them apples.

+ Reply to Thread