+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baseball Publications - Which Would You Buy?

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Baseball Publications - Which Would You Buy?

I like pro baseball quite a bit but never really kept up with things. I'm thinking I'd like to subscribe to a publication that puts out a quality product and puts a lot of focus on baseball. Right now I'm looking at Sporting News, Sports Weekly and Baseball Digest. SN & SW are more along the line of what I'm looking for since they're weekly while BD is monthly.

Any baseball affecionados out there got an opinion or some alternatives I might check out?

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Re: Baseball Publications - Which Would You Buy?

I subscribe to Sporting News. It has good coverage for all sports.

If you want just baseball then you have to subscribe to Baseball America. It has it all. Little League, HS, College, Amatuer, MiLB and MLB.

If you want MiLB, then there is a new magazine that is out called "At the Yard". They are going into their second year and it is $12 a year for 12 issues.

I read all 3 and they are normally very good publications.

I use to subscribe to Baseball Weekly until they changed the format to Sports Weekly.
    I use to subscribe to Baseball Digest and while it has good info, by the time you get the info it is dated. But it has great historical stats and stories.

I don't like Sports Illustrated at all.

Hope this helps.
    Martie

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

If, by any chance, you are a Texas Ranger fan, then subscribe to the FREE email on www.newbergreport.com .

This guy covers the Rangers from the draft to minor league free agents, all simply because he loves the team. His emails are fun to read and very factual.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Although I wish Sports Weekly had remained Baseball Weekly, I still like them -- they give good coverage and stats -- but tend to get football dominated as soon as training camps start up -- much like what happened to the Sporting News years ago. It's mostly MLB related, with a one page college reference.

Bulldog Tech96 is an unknown Tech96's Avatar

Sports Weekly is good as well as Baseball America, depends on what type of coverage you're looking for.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the help!

I had never heard of Baseball America so I checked out their web site. I think it's the one that fits the bill so I'm subscribing to it. With all the other stuff I have to read it'll be nice to get something that is a high quality pure entertainment read.

I'm taking DJDAWG's advise too and picking up the Newberg Report. I liked the web site and the articles I read. I'm another long suffering Cubs fan but I generally go to The Ballpark in Arlington a couple of times a year. I've only made the pilgrimage to Wrigley Field twice. It makes sense to keep closer tabs on the Rangers and knowing more about the team and players will make the trips more fun.

Thanks again to all. If anyone else has some info to share it would be appreciated.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog
    Thanks for all the help!

I had never heard of Baseball America so I checked out their web site. I think it's the one that fits the bill so I'm subscribing to it. With all the other stuff I have to read it'll be nice to get something that is a high quality pure entertainment read.

I'm taking DJDAWG's advise too and picking up the Newberg Report. I liked the web site and the articles I read. I'm another long suffering Cubs fan but I generally go to The Ballpark in Arlington a couple of times a year. I've only made the pilgrimage to Wrigley Field twice. It makes sense to keep closer tabs on the Rangers and knowing more about the team and players will make the trips more fun.

Thanks again to all. If anyone else has some info to share it would be appreciated.
    Cub fan? Then don't subscribe to Newberg. You must have Vineline. It is all Cubs. I use to have the subscription, but don't have time for it now.

Martie

Many moons ago I did subscribe to Vineline. It got a little to "rah-rah" for me. Management was promising a lot but not delivering. I keep close enough to the Cubs given the press they pickup because they're in Chicago.

The good news is management has done a better job the last couple of years. This past year they had a good team, just no chemistry. Maybe things will come around this time. Then of course, there's always "next year".
    With The Ballpark's less than 4 hours away and the way they did last year, I might make the trip a time or two more this year. I'll know more "stuff" with Newberg.

Thanks for the input. Stay warm up there in Meechigan; I see the high today is freezing.

+ Reply to Thread