+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buddy D (Diliberto) dies

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Post Buddy D (Diliberto) dies

The state of Louisiana lost another icon.
    Although he was definately anchored to the Saints and the New Orleans area, Buddy D, was the squirrel of squirrels and really fun to listen to on 870 WWL.
    The following was written by Jeff Crouere of the BayouBuzz.com :

There is no other city in the world like New Orleans. Our architecture, history, culture, food and all special, but what is most special of all are the people of New Orleans. No city anywhere has as many unique individuals and interesting characters as New Orleans. There is something about our city that lends itself to true characters, whether it is the water, the political corruption, our cultural melting pot, the steamy weather or the constant threat of hurricane annihilation. Whatever the reason is, New Orleans personalities are legendary and plentiful.

Where else in the world would there be a character like Buddy Diliberto? By covering sports for over 50 years in print, television and radio, Buddy Diliberto became a sports legend in New Orleans. On Friday, the city lost this sports legend at the too young age of 73. While Buddy D. died of a massive heart attack, New Orleanians everywhere were heartbroken.

Diliberto was a proud Jesuit High School and Loyola Graduate, who served in the Korean War and earned a Purple Heart. He was also an excellent sportscaster and respected by his peers. During his incredible career he was named Louisiana Sportscaster of the Year 13 times. However, what endeared him to locals was his colorful personality, his charm and his ability to make fun of his linguistic foibles.

No one could mispronounce a word like Buddy Diliberto. Even the simplest names and phrases were challenges for Buddy D. However, the more problems he had, the more locals loved him. His overflowing personality connected with New Orleanians and he succeeded for 50 years because he had a passion for his work and a desire to deliver the story to his readers, viewers and listeners. What he lacked in language skills, he made up for with hard work and determination. As his WWL 870 AM colleague Mark Chifici told me recently, “People don’t realize how hard Buddy works. He is always calling me to discuss the show or a guest he wants to bring on.”

Buddy had a genius for tapping into the frustrations of Saints fans everywhere. He created a phenomenon when he suggested fans wear a bag on their head to protest the 1980 Saints, who finished with a 1-15 record. In his career, Buddy succeeded in every media format, as a sports writer and as a sports anchor, but he really found his niche in talk radio. In that arena, Buddy could truly interact with fans and give them a slice of his sizeable personality. As a talk show host, Buddy coined the unforgettable phrase “squirrels” to label those callers who were hopelessly optimistic or out of touch with reality.

At our Politics with a Punch event last November, Buddy participated on our panel. To be in the presence of such a true legend was a highpoint of our almost 3 year old event. At Punch, Buddy received a standing ovation and the crowd showed their love, awe and appreciation for his tremendous work and spirit. It was a fitting sign of respect for someone who had given New Orleans sports fans 50 years of passionate and colorful coverage.

All of us in New Orleans are richer because of Buddy D. He is one of many New Orleans originals who left an indelible mark on the city. It is always sad when one of these true New Orleans legends passes away because not only are they gone, but also a part of New Orleans that will never be replaced is now gone as well. There will never ever be another Buddy D.

At Politics with a Punch this Wednesday night, we will be honoring Buddy Diliberto. Join us as we give a fond farewell to a New Orleans original.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Re: Buddy D (Diliberto) dies

I grew up listening to Buddy D every night. I'm floored over the loss. Ironic a week after the Saints last game.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

I have listened to Buddy D for 20 years over here in Houston. I was always happy when we would go back to CST in the fall because sundown came sooner and WWL's signal came in wall-to-wall. He was a classic!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of evenings I listened to Buddy D on the 20 minute drive home from the office. Just the other night he kind of dressed down a Saints Exec for whinning about callers being down on the Saints for the year they had. It was typical Buddy D..."Aw come on, what do ya expect? Fans are tired of the same ol' same ol' from the team AND the front office".

He called 'em as he saw 'em.

Buddy picked up where Hap Glaudi left off in 1991. I think I liked Hap's style maybe a little better than Buddy's, but lots of folks were just the other way around. Buddy put his opinion out there, Hap was more likely to go along with the company line. Both were excellent!

Who can they find to take up the mantel and follow those two?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

That's sad. A real part of my New Orleans childhood. I had to call my Dad when I heard this. His big blue Oldsmobile was always tuned to WWL.

Buddy D will always be my standard for sports talk shows, and impenetrable "Yat" accents.

Varsity Bulldog beefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nice beefcakes's Avatar

My favorite buddy story, and there are millions of stories, a couple of seasons ago a guy called Buddy on air and stated that he thought the Saints had a solid chance to make the playoffs and advance to the NFC championship.

Buddy asked to guy to take a picture of his house and mail the picture to the radio station, because Buddy said he "had heard of LA LA LAND and aways wanted to see it."

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by beefcakes
    My favorite buddy story, and there are millions of stories, a couple of seasons ago a guy called Buddy on air and stated that he thought the Saints had a solid chance to make the playoffs and advance to the NFC championship.

Buddy asked to guy to take a picture of his house and mail the picture to the radio station, because Buddy said he "had heard of LA LA LAND and aways wanted to see it."
    I'm laughin'! And Buddy was right, the caller was wrong (and must have been living in LA LA LAND).

Champ domangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond repute domangue's Avatar

"OUR BUSINESS STINKS....

BUT IT'S PICKING UP"

--Buddy D Commercial For River Parish Disposal

Puppy dahanch is an unknown

Thumbs Down Re: Buddy D (Diliberto) dies

I loved BUDDY D too, but he was dead wrong back in 2004 about them....That was me calling from "la la land"..
    1. Remember 2004?
    2. Jan. 2 - Saints conclude 2004 season with 8-8 record and were the hottest team in the NFC with four straight victories to close out the season after a thrilling 21-18 victory at Carolina……Saints were knocked out of NFC Playoff picture 30 minutes after the conclusion of the game as St. Louis defeated the N.Y. Jets in OT, with Jets kicker missing 40 yd FG that would have sent Saints to playoffs;

ni
    Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    Lots of evenings I listened to Buddy D on the 20 minute drive home from the office. Just the other night he kind of dressed down a Saints Exec for whinning about callers being down on the Saints for the year they had. It was typical Buddy D..."Aw come on, what do ya expect? Fans are tired of the same ol' same ol' from the team AND the front office".

He called 'em as he saw 'em.

Buddy picked up where Hap Glaudi left off in 1991. I think I liked Hap's style maybe a little better than Buddy's, but lots of folks were just the other way around. Buddy put his opinion out there, Hap was more likely to go along with the company line. Both were excellent!

Who can they find to take up the mantel and follow those two?

1. Remember 2004? That was me from la la land
    2. Jan. 2 - Saints conclude 2004 season with 8-8 record and were the hottest team in the NFC with four straight victories to close out the season after a thrilling 21-18 victory at Carolina……Saints were knocked out of NFC Playoff picture 30 minutes after the conclusion of the game as St. Louis defeated the N.Y. Jets in OT, with Jets kicker missing 40 yd FG that would have sent Saints to playoffs;

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    I'm laughin'! And Buddy was right, the caller was wrong (and must have been living in LA LA LAND).

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by domangue View Post
    "OUR BUSINESS STINKS....

BUT IT'S PICKING UP"

--Buddy D Commercial For River Parish Disposal
    I've drank a few PBR's with Gator who owns River Parish Disposal. He was a very good friend of my late friend and mentor Silky Sullivan.

http://bizstinks.com/about-us/

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dahanch View Post
    I loved BUDDY D too, but he was dead wrong back in 2004 about them....That was me calling from "la la land"..
    1. Remember 2004?

ni
    How the heck did you happen to find this 11-year old thread to comment on it?
    Good old Memorial Gym

someone sent it to me because I called in to WWL last night and T Bob and Christian Garrick called me crazy for saying that Saints aren't that bad this year......

brought back memories and I had NEVER seen this post before...

Maybe I am in LA LA land

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Buddy D....what a clown! But also a sportscaster icon in New Orleans. Kind of like Hap Glaudi. These guys were awful! But they were personalities and real "characters" that made you shake your head in disbelief back then, and smile now as you remember them.

Buddy was kicked off the Saints' plane because he was so harsh on them. Heck! back then, they deserved harsh criticism. They sucked! He also said he would put on a dress and parade down Bourbon Street if the Saints ever won a SB. In his honor, a whole group of men wore dresses in the Saints' Super Bowl celebration parade.

All part of the history that is the Saints. Which, by the way, is now 50 years. The Saints were "born" on November 1, 1966. That's "All Saints Day" and thus the team's nickname.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dahanch View Post
    someone sent it to me because I called in to WWL last night and T Bob and Christian Garrick called me crazy for saying that Saints aren't that bad this year......

brought back memories and I had NEVER seen this post before...

Maybe I am in LA LA land
    Welcome to the board. I thought it was strange I was thinking Buddy D died a long time ago now. Why is this thread active again. Cool that you were the caller. I agree that the Saints aren't that bad this year. Still need a D. For us Tech fans it seems all to familiar.

+ Reply to Thread