Running back pledges to Cajuns

Dan McDonald
dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

ADVERTISEMENT</FONT>

LAFAYETTE - University of Louisiana head football coach Rickey Bustle received his 16th verbal commitment for the 2005 recruiting class Tuesday, and is hoping that good things come in small packages.

Diminutive Deon Wallace, ranked as one of Texas' top running backs and listed in at least one national recruiting list, gave Bustle a verbal pledge on Tuesday after visiting the campus in December.

"I liked the whole program," Wallace said, "the school, the coaching staff, the players, the environment. All of that combined made it a good choice for me."

The 5-foot-8, 180-pound Wallace, a product of Worthing High in Houston, Texas, had previously visited Kansas State and had Colorado, LSU, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Hawaii on his list before deciding on the Cajuns. He is the third running back on this year's commitment list.

"They told me I'd have a chance to play quickly," he said. "It depends on how quick I can pick everything up and how comfortable I am with everything."

Wallace rushed for 1,820 yards on 169 carries as a senior, averaging 10.8 yards per carry, and scored 20 touchdowns in his third year in the starting lineup. He had more than 500 receiving yards and three scores and saw action on punt and kickoff returns.

"I think I've got good hands, and I can play in the slot and not just in the backfield," Wallace said. "I try to be elusive."

Wallace is ranked 12th on the Rivals.com recruiting site's listing of the nation's top all-purpose backs and first in Texas in that category. He is on that service's Texas Top 100 list compiled after the season, and is also on the Houston Chronicle's Top 100 list in Texas and top 10 running backs list in the state.

Wallace helped lead the Worthing squad of coach Eddie Snow to a 7-3 regular-season mark and an 8-4 overall record, with Worthing reaching the second round of the Class 4A playoffs. He was selected as Offensive Most Valuable Player in District 22-4A.

He also ran sprints for the Worthing track team, posting a best of 10.12 (hand-time) in the 100-meter and running a leg on the district-champion 4x100 relay team.

Originally published January 12, 2005

I forget............ Why is it we don't announce commitments ??

a. we are ashamed of them ??
b. bick doesn't have any ??
c. we are afraid ne j.c. will steal them ??