+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "mini-moats" to ULL ??

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

"mini-moats" to ULL ??

Running back pledges to Cajuns

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

ADVERTISEMENT</FONT>

LAFAYETTE - University of Louisiana head football coach Rickey Bustle received his 16th verbal commitment for the 2005 recruiting class Tuesday, and is hoping that good things come in small packages.

Diminutive Deon Wallace, ranked as one of Texas' top running backs and listed in at least one national recruiting list, gave Bustle a verbal pledge on Tuesday after visiting the campus in December.

"I liked the whole program," Wallace said, "the school, the coaching staff, the players, the environment. All of that combined made it a good choice for me."

The 5-foot-8, 180-pound Wallace, a product of Worthing High in Houston, Texas, had previously visited Kansas State and had Colorado, LSU, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Hawaii on his list before deciding on the Cajuns. He is the third running back on this year's commitment list.

"They told me I'd have a chance to play quickly," he said. "It depends on how quick I can pick everything up and how comfortable I am with everything."

Wallace rushed for 1,820 yards on 169 carries as a senior, averaging 10.8 yards per carry, and scored 20 touchdowns in his third year in the starting lineup. He had more than 500 receiving yards and three scores and saw action on punt and kickoff returns.

"I think I've got good hands, and I can play in the slot and not just in the backfield," Wallace said. "I try to be elusive."

Wallace is ranked 12th on the Rivals.com recruiting site's listing of the nation's top all-purpose backs and first in Texas in that category. He is on that service's Texas Top 100 list compiled after the season, and is also on the Houston Chronicle's Top 100 list in Texas and top 10 running backs list in the state.

Wallace helped lead the Worthing squad of coach Eddie Snow to a 7-3 regular-season mark and an 8-4 overall record, with Worthing reaching the second round of the Class 4A playoffs. He was selected as Offensive Most Valuable Player in District 22-4A.

He also ran sprints for the Worthing track team, posting a best of 10.12 (hand-time) in the 100-meter and running a leg on the district-champion 4x100 relay team.

Originally published January 12, 2005

I forget............ Why is it we don't announce commitments ??

a. we are ashamed of them ??
    b. bick doesn't have any ??
    c. we are afraid ne j.c. will steal them ??

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: "mini-moats" to ULL ??

This RB on top of the hot shot QB (John Hundley) that ULL got a verbal from a few days ago (#28 nationally by rivals.com)? Ouch! If these ULL recruits hold, the love fest for ULL will be over in Ruston in a hurry.

HD

Champ rphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the rough rphdawg's Avatar

ULL picks up two commitments

By WILLIAM WEATHERS
    wweathers@theadvocate.com

Advocate sportswriter

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette's recruiting efforts received a boost with two more commitments on the brink of its biggest recruiting weekend.

The Ragin' Cajuns increased their commitment total to 17 with pledges from running back Deon Wallace of Houston-Worthing and offensive lineman Brad Bradford of Fork Union (Va.) Military Academy.

Wallace, a 5-foot-8, 180-pound prospect, selected UL-Lafayette over scholarship offers from Kansas State, Hawaii, Colorado, Louisiana Tech, Texas Tech and Baylor. He said he also received interest from Utah and UCLA.

"There were bigger names out there, but they're an up and coming program that's going to be good," Wallace said of UL-Lafayette. "When I went on my visit they had a good environment that made me feel really comfortable. It just felt like the right place to be."

Bradford, a 6-5, 265-pound center and Huntington, W.V. native, has already signed with UL-Lafayette after a weekend visit. He becomes the fourth member of the Cajuns' recruiting class to enroll for the spring semester and will participate in spring drills, joining outside linebacker Don Hargroder of Hargrave (Va.) Military Academy, wide receiver Corey Frederick of Compton (Calif.) Community College and quarterback Conner Morel, a Northwestern State transfer who will redshirt this season.

a.sponsor:link { font-size: 12px; font-weight: none; font-family: arial; color: black; }a.sponsor:active { font-size: 12px; font-weight: none; font-family: arial; color: black; }a.sponsor:visited { font-size: 12px; font-weight: none; font-family: arial; color: black; }a.sponsor:hover { font-size: 12px; font-weight: none; font-family: arial; color: #990000; text-decoration: none }Advertisement! Wallace, a three-year starter, was a two-time All-District 22-4A selection. He was selected the district's offensive most valuable player as a senior with 169 carries for 1,820 yards and 20 touchdowns.

"He's had an excellent career for us," Worthing coach Ed Snow about Wallace, who is academically qualified.

"He's our all-time leading rusher with more than 5,000 yards. It's going to be hard to top that."

Wallace, a preseason Top 100 selection in Texas, was rated the nation's No. 12 all-purpose running back, according to Rivals.com. He participated in summer camps at the University of Texas and Houston and was timed at 4.49 seconds in 40-yard dash the Nike combine at College Station, Texas last May.

"He's got a lot of speed," Snow said. "But he also lives in the weight room. He's a student of the game who's very focused.''

UL-Lafayette is also scheduled to host about 20 prospects starting Friday.

Among the recruits expected on campus are St. Charles-LaPlace running back Tyrell Fenroy, University High defensive end/outside linebacker Hall Davis V, St. Augustine-New Orleans defensive tackle Seth Adams and Higgins-New Orleans offensive lineman Kenneth Turner, who switched his commitment from UL-Monroe to Louisiana Tech this week.

Fenroy, a first team Class 3A All-State selection after rushing for 2,136 yards, is also scheduled for visit Louisiana Tech and Ole Miss, while Davis will visit Northwestern State. He's also received interest from Southern Mississippi and McNeese State.

State Notes Southern picked up its second commitment from Hahnville-Boutte quarterback Bryant Lee. The Jaguars also have a pledge from Glen Oaks wide receiver/defensive back Ronald Wade. ... Tulane added its ninth commitment from first team Class 5A All-State defensive end Matt Slocum (6-5, 255) of West Monroe.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Trying to have faith the list will impress when published!

+ Reply to Thread