+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Monroe Paper's jabs at Tech

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Monroe Paper's jabs at Tech

Nick Deriso love to take jabs at us not playing ULM and Grambling now. He has done this as well as the News Star's editorial team for driving past both colleges on the way to our opponents. Especially in football, we have no reason to play Grambling in a regular season game, other than another division to team dropping out. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with Grambling's program, I don't think it is in our best interests. I would like to see us schedule Grambling as a scrimmage in the spring or fall, it would be a good test and good press to shut these writers up for a while.

I also like how Nick mentions our record against ULM (NLU at the time) in the 80's and suggesting we got scared. The streak he is reffering to is the one from where we went 1-7 against them. He neglects to mention the following 8 wins we hold over them by an average of 34-11 (including a 44-14, 58-17 and a 42-19 wins). BTW 30-13 record over them and 1057 points scored against them. I wouldn't be completely against playing ULM in the next coming years in Ruston, but I don't see us being the only one at fault.

Here is the latest article:

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs...501140316/1002
    Last edited by atobulldog; 01-14-2005 at 11:06 PM.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Monroe Paper's jabs at Tech

Yes, we should schedule GSU and ulm right now. Just not on any near-future schedule.

Put them on the schedule for......oh, I dunno, about 2150 or so.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Staub is just trying to rub our nose in shit.

nlulm has everything to gain and nothing to lose playing us - I would be trying to play it up the same way if I were him.

Some one need to remind nlulm that in 2000 we went to Monroe and kicked the snot out of them with one of the worst Tech teams in recent history.

There were more Tech fans at Malone Stadium than ulm fans on that awful November 2000 night.

Maybe 12K in the stands???

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe
    Staub is just trying to rub our nose in shit.

nlulm has everything to gain and nothing to lose playing us - I would be trying to play it up the same way if I were him.

Some one need to remind nlulm that in 2000 we went to Monroe and kicked the snot out of them with one of the worst Tech teams in recent history.

There were more Tech fans at Malone Stadium than ulm fans on that awful November 2000 night.

Maybe 12K in the stands???
    12K is VERY generous. I was there and doubt that there was half of that. It was bitterly cold and no one cared..... We demolished them.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    12K is VERY generous. I was there and doubt that there was half of that. It was bitterly cold and no one cared..... We demolished them.
    Come on 110. Less than 6k in attendance? There were that many Tech fans. I'd say closer to 10k were there than night, but that still feeds my pet peeve about playing this game.

For years all we heard and have heard out of the so called journalists in this area is how the game needs to be played for the good of the community. The tend to forget the 2000 lack of attendance. IMO, either you are a fan or you are not. If somebody needs a so called rivalry game to get them in the stands they are luke warm and best and will never be more unless..........

The university they lean towards gets them involved by creating an exciting atmosphere at EVERY home game. Of course winning is neccessary too, but Dan Reneau can't seem get a grasp of that concept. Now, back to my ranting about playing nlulm..........

This is 1A football. Big business. About making money for the university's athletic program (to keep title nine afloat). I would like to see one unbiased report from these yellow journalists about the bottom line of 1A football. Tell me how the game will help Tech or ULM make money instead of coddling to the PC crowd. If they figure out a way, fine! Until then, go take some business and marketing courses and report the facts.

One more thing........Enough already with the insinuations of Grambling (or any SWAC school) being competivive with even ULM. That notion has been shot down over and over, but I guess it would take a real journalist to gather those facts.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I say schedule them home and home again - 4 years with a two year option

And in the contract have a clause that states if either home game draws less than 23,000 in actual attendance that the other school has the option to -

1) Not renew the contract with no penalty -

or

2) The school that failed to provide a home gate of 23,000+, if they want to continue the series - owes the other school a 2 for 1 to keep the contract alive -

This makes them put there money where their mouth is and protects our interest in the same instance -

Its a win/win situation with all involved -

For other sports - we SHOULD be playing them in every sport every year - alternating home/away - and Grambling also - start with baseball and softball move to women's basketball and then to men's basketball -

I think everyone will behave themselves -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

DFM, you are on to something. I'm afraid the time for us to be in the "cat bird" seat at the negotiation tables has passed us by. My fear is Champion110's worst nightmare..........In three years we will have a home and home with ULM and it won't be because of keen negotiation skills. Hello Wright Waters!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree that it is a win/win situation for both schools. It is definitely a win/win for ulm, though. I thought we were trying to distance ourselves from the mindset of us being in the same league with ulm with people of N. Louisiana.

If so, this hurts that (even if we beat them by 40)
    If not, WHY NOT? I think we should have the goal of being the ONLY 1a program in N. La.

I still say let them rot in the Sun Belt. Keep ULL on the schedule, but never schedule ulm again.

NO ONE outside of some old timers that remember the rivalry in N. La. care at all about this game. It makes NO National news and, locally, it appeases those that are living in yesteryear and still want a local rivalry.

I say if you want a local rivalry, go to a Ruston High game against a Monroe school. If you want Tech to grow and be above the other programs in N. Louisiana, you certainly don't play them to put them on your level.

I will never change my mind about this. It just does not make any sense at all. You might get a decent crowd in Ruston, but we should be working hard marketing to get a decent crowd when we play a WAC rival - not a 1a wannabe.

Champ Bossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really nice Bossdawg's Avatar

The only thing I saw in that particular article is Sally Clausen trying to stick her fat nose where it does not belong again.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    I don't agree that it is a win/win situation for both schools. It is definitely a win/win for ulm, though. I thought we were trying to distance ourselves from the mindset of us being in the same league with ulm with people of N. Louisiana.

If so, this hurts that (even if we beat them by 40)
    If not, WHY NOT? I think we should have the goal of being the ONLY 1a program in N. La.

I still say let them rot in the Sun Belt. Keep ULL on the schedule, but never schedule ulm again.

NO ONE outside of some old timers that remember the rivalry in N. La. care at all about this game. It makes NO National news and, locally, it appeases those that are living in yesteryear and still want a local rivalry.

I say if you want a local rivalry, go to a Ruston High game against a Monroe school. If you want Tech to grow and be above the other programs in N. Louisiana, you certainly don't play them to put them on your level.

I will never change my mind about this. It just does not make any sense at all. You might get a decent crowd in Ruston, but we should be working hard marketing to get a decent crowd when we play a WAC rival - not a 1a wannabe.
    Champion I lean toward your thinking on this, but here is the problem. We don't have the leadership at Tech to distance us from ULM when it comes to athletics. D.R. is all about his nano engineering crap and could care less about being the only 1A program in N. La.. I'm sure he has assured Sally Clausen that we will do our best to underachive when it comes to athletics. Therefore, as long as Tech can make money off the deal, I'd rather beat the snot out of ULM every year (prove it on the field) than budget for a trip to Tennessee or Auburn.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Fact is, we missed the opportunity to distance ourselves from the others in 2002/2003 -

Now we have to beat them to put any distance between us and them -

Don't look now, but Sunbelt basketball is only two slots behind the WAC in the rpi right now in MEN'S basketball - and this was the sport that had the greatest "separation" and respect nation wide -

The ONLY clear cut advantage right now is WAC football, but it is not the money maker WAC basketball is -

We have to re-establish ourselves and that's going to take hard work and good play -

You can holler all you want to about playing them brings us down to their level -

I've got news for you - for the most part we are at their level and in most aspects we are falling behind the majority of the Sunbelt schools -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Varsity Bulldog Tech74 is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    I say schedule them home and home again - 4 years with a two year option

And in the contract have a clause that states if either home game draws less than 23,000 in actual attendance that the other school has the option to -

1) Not renew the contract with no penalty -

or

2) The school that failed to provide a home gate of 23,000+, if they want to continue the series - owes the other school a 2 for 1 to keep the contract alive -

This makes them put there money where their mouth is and protects our interest in the same instance -

-
    Another in a series of good ideas on how to structure the deal. JO should put a WRITTEN offer together and send it to Staub with an extra copy to the Times.

As noted by me in another thread, the NS is a journalistic whore. ULM has paid off the NS by hiring friends of the NS management and family of politicians. It is EXACTLY what happened under Swearingen. The NS refuses to practice real journalism when it comes to ULM and we should all remember this when it gets under our skin about something. What the NS is doing is an incredible disservice to its readers, its staff, and ULM!

Now this is the nice, gentlemanly, stone cold sober version of my opinion of the NS. Just wait 'til tonight when I have a bit of bourbon to oil my literary skills.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Fact is, we missed the opportunity to distance ourselves from the others in 2002/2003 -

Now we have to beat them to put any distance between us and them -

Don't look now, but Sunbelt basketball is only two slots behind the WAC in the rpi right now in MEN'S basketball - and this was the sport that had the greatest "separation" and respect nation wide -

The ONLY clear cut advantage right now is WAC football, but it is not the money maker WAC basketball is -

We have to re-establish ourselves and that's going to take hard work and good play -

You can holler all you want to about playing them brings us down to their level -

I've got news for you - for the most part we are at their level and in most aspects we are falling behind the majority of the Sunbelt schools -
    Exactly, playing them is not going to bring us down to their level. Dan Reneau and Jim Oakes have already done that.

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Can you expound on this statement? Which schools do you have in mind? And which aspects are we behind them?

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Just think how nice things would have worked out this year if we had played ulm instead of Tenn.

+ Reply to Thread