+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HIRE HIM DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar

HIRE HIM DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collins would be the man for TECH!!!! Jb3 is too stupid and scared to hire him... What a shame...

Exiting LSU, Collins goes job hunting
    Ex-ULM coach eyeing defensive positions

By Paul J. Letlow
    pletlow@thenewsstar.com
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Collins doesn't regret his off-season switch from Middle Tennessee State to LSU before last season.

But when Nick Saban left LSU for the NFL's Miami Dolphins, Collins found himself looking for a job.

"I learned a tremendous amount of football and it was exciting," the former Louisiana-Monroe coach said in a phone interview from Baton Rouge. "What better place is there in the whole country than being here? I personally can't think of anything better."

Collins spent the 2003 national championship season at LSU as a strength and conditioning intern.

Middle Tennessee hired Collins as defensive coordinator in January 2004 but he left a month later to return to LSU as linebackers coach. That prestigious gig ended when Saban left for Miami.

Collins understood the move by Saban.

"It was one of those deals where he got the opportunity to be involved with one of the premier pro sports organizations of all time," Collins said.

New LSU coach Les Miles didn't retain Collins in assembling his staff.

"I did have a chance to visit with him, but he's doing what he feels is best for his program," Collins said. "With what he wants to accomplish, he felt like he wanted to move in another direction."

So too, will Collins. He has investigated the chance to become a defensive coordinator at three different Division I-A schools and had two job offers along those lines.

"There are a couple of opportunities out there," Collins said.

Collins has talked to friends at the NFL level about jobs. There could be a chance to reunite with Saban in some capacity.

"The thing is, I want to make sure we make a good decision," said Collins, whose youngest son Matt will graduate from a Baton Rouge high school this spring. "I've never been a bounce-around guy. The last couple of moves, I've been kind of bouncing. Other than that, everywhere I've been it's been five, six or seven years at a time. I'd like to get somewhere and be happy being there."

Before his internship with LSU, Collins coached at ULM for five years, first as a linebacker coach in 1998 for Ed Zaunbrecher and then as the defensive coordinator for three years under Bobby Keasler. He took over as interim head coach at ULM three games into the 2002 season before being named the team's permanent head coach in November of that year.

Collins resigned from his position as head coach at ULM in the spring of 2003 amid drunken driving charges — for which he was later cleared — before he joined the Tigers during that summer.

The Ruston native got his start in coaching as a graduate assistant at ULM in the mid-1980s. From there, he served as an assistant coach at Ouachita Parish High School before joining the staff at McNeese State as linebacker coach in 1991.

He coached at McNeese State for seven years, helping the Cowboys to three Southland Conference titles as well as an appearance in the I-AA national championship game.

Originally published January 18, 2005

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

Re: HIRE HIM DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard today that Rose to Toledo is NOT a done deal yet but if it does get done, then I sure hope we give him at least an interview for DC, but I doubt it will happen. I don't have that much faith in JB to hire him, too much of a threat.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

I just don't see how we can't hire him. He would be great, in recruiting too. Bicknell needs to pull his head out of his a$$ and do something good for once.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar

What am I missing?

An ex-ULM and Mid-Tenn coach who is out of a job?

How, specifically, will he help us in recruiting?

The last ULM hot-shot coach we got was Richard.

Big Dog DeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud of DeepGreen's Avatar

What? Say it isn't so. You guys want to hire a, gag, ex-ULM coach that did a gig at MTSU, a lowly Sun Belt Conference member? How can this be?:icon_wink

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

He is a good defensive coach, learned under Saban for a couple of years and has had success as a DC.

I would not be upset if we give him a shot to be DC, who else are we going to get? No Bill Beliceck for sure.

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

The fact is that he grew up in Ruston and Coach HS in Monroe and E. Texas. Also his time down in BR getting connections. He would bring alot of clout to our recruiting in those areas. JB would be uncharicteristically smart in hiring Collins. Forget his time and ULM, just think about how it would look if we got him and he is successful.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

No way Bicknell is going to hire someone who might be a threat to him. He couldn't be that dumb.

Oh wait a minute, yes he could be.

Puppy ChampDawg is an unknown

Angry Re: HIRE HIM DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes we need a DC with a little fun in him. After the games on Saturday nights, we can all go have "two" beers and take out a house. Then we can pay off the bartender and make it all "go away"........

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DeepGreen
    What? Say it isn't so. You guys want to hire a, gag, ex-ULM coach that did a gig at MTSU, a lowly Sun Belt Conference member? How can this be?:icon_wink
    Hey...do a good job, and you too can be promoted to bigger and better schools and conferences.

Big Dog DeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud of DeepGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3
    Hey...do a good job, and you too can be promoted to bigger and better schools and conferences.
    Oh, so La Tech and the mighty BWAC (big west athletic contortium) are a step up for a coach coming from LSU and the SEC? Geeze, where have I been.

Champ Bossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really nice Bossdawg's Avatar

Don't worry Sh*thead, he has no UNT connections, thank god

Varsity Bulldog Beauxier Dawg is a jewel in the roughBeauxier Dawg is a jewel in the roughBeauxier Dawg is a jewel in the roughBeauxier Dawg is a jewel in the roughBeauxier Dawg is a jewel in the roughBeauxier Dawg is a jewel in the roughBeauxier Dawg is a jewel in the roughBeauxier Dawg is a jewel in the roughBeauxier Dawg is a jewel in the roughBeauxier Dawg is a jewel in the roughBeauxier Dawg is a jewel in the rough Beauxier Dawg's Avatar

Oh, so La Tech and the mighty BWAC (big west athletic contortium) are a step up for a coach coming from LSU and the SEC? Geeze, where have I been.
    Who is to say in which direction this coach, Collins, is headed? All I see is an umemployed coach that has lots of LA ties, success at McNeese, and has been under the tutalege of Saban. Beware though: He is the son of Pat Collins. For those of you that don't know the early history of Pat, I would suggest you do your homework--start with the year 1978 and go to 1988. Why? The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. In this case, bringing both good and bad attributes.

I say take a chance. Hell, if UTEP can hire Mike Price and New Mexico St. can give Mumme a chance, then why not Collins in some capacity?

Everyone, do the research, weigh the pros and cons, and make an informative assessment......

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Northshore Dawg
    Who is to say in which direction this coach, Collins, is headed? All I see is an umemployed coach that has lots of LA ties, success at McNeese, and has been under the tutalege of Saban. Beware though: He is the son of Pat Collins. For those of you that don't know the early history of Pat, I would suggest you do your homework--start with the year 1978 and go to 1988. Why? The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. In this case, bringing both good and bad attributes.

I say take a chance. Hell, if UTEP can hire Mike Price and New Mexico St. can give Mumme a chance, then why not Collins in some capacity?

Everyone, do the research, weigh the pros and cons, and make an informative assessment......
    The biggest mistake Louisiana Tech ever made was NOT hiring Pat Collins back in 1978. Instead, Tech chose Larry Beightol, who didn't even make it a full season before being fired in Ruston.

Meanwhile, Pat Collins got pissed, went to NLU and --just like his former mentor Maxie Lambright-- won a national championship ON THE FIELD in 1987 for NLU. Oh....and along the way, Collins and NLU literally DOMINATED Louisiana Tech, winning 7 of the first 8 meetings against Tech on Collins' watch.

Look.....I'm the biggest Louisiana Tech fan in the world, but Louisiana Tech did Pat Collins TERRIBLY WRONG back in 1978-79. And frankly, we've never recovered completely from our mistake. We took one of Lambright's star pupils, one of the nations brightest young football coaches (Pat Collins), and we sent him packing to NLU. And frankly, we've been looking for a GOOD football coach ever since.

Sometimes I stop and think about where the Louisiana Tech football program might be today if Pat Collins had been the Head Coach at Tech all through the 1980's and 1990's. No doubt, Collins would have continued Lambright's winning ways and the stability would have been great for our program. Collins was home grown and he would have stayed at Tech for the long term. And just like Maxie Lambright, Pat Collins was a WINNER. And I could easily see Louisiana Tech being the "Marshall" or the "Boise State" of today. Maybe more.

HD

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

I don't know and don't care where you have been, but I can tell where you to go. For one, stay the hell off of our board.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

+ Reply to Thread