See the High-lighted Quotes from Ruston leasers sound familiar in that town...reaction, no forethought at all...

Ruston leaders scramble to fill hole left by loss of downtown 'backbone'

By Greg Hilburn
ghilburn@thenewsstar.com

Ruston officials hope to lure a national retailer into the Lewis & Co. location.

When Lewis & Co. closes this spring, its exit will leave a gaping hole in downtown Ruston that city leaders are already formulating a strategy to fill.

"Lewis' has been the backbone of downtown Ruston for a long time," Mayor Dan Hollingsworth said. "But our downtown has been a bright area for the city, and we believe we can attract new business there."

Lewis & Co. occupies three downtown buildings with the largest facing Park Avenue.

"It's definitely marketable," said Scott Terry, president of the Ruston-Lincoln Chamber of Commerce. "There's so much trade still downtown, and we have inquiries about downtown inventory."

Managing partners William and Richard Lewis said they hope the largest building eventually can house a national bookstore or some other college-oriented businesses if the population is adequate.

"Louisiana Tech (Univers-ity) is trying to move downtown more — not soon enough for us, but I think it'll eventually revitalize downtown with shopping, bars and other entertainment," William Lewis said. "I just hope it develops soon."

Dickie Thompson, a longtime Ruston barber whose shop is also on Park Avenue, said if the buildings are vacant long "it will really scar downtown. This was our anchor."

"All my life Lewis' was the place to go," Thompson said. "I figured this would happen one day, but I didn't think it would be this soon."

Judy Burt, the Ruston Main Street Program manager, said there are some national retailers interested in small markets like Ruston.

"Now we've got to get busy and see what we can do to fill those places back up," Burt said.

Hollingsworth said Ruston's downtown has survived because of the traffic generated by U.S. 167, which runs directly through town.

"We still have a vibrant atmosphere downtown," the mayor said.

But Burt and Hollingsworth both said even when new tenants are found, they won't replace the spirit of Lewis & Co.

"It's almost like a death in town," Burt said. "I just have an empty feeling in my stomach. We'll revamp and go another direction because Ruston is growing, you know there won't ever be another Lewis'."

Hollingsworth said Lewis & Co. is "more than just retail."

"Lewis' will always hold a special place in this community's history and heart," Hollingsworth said. "It's a tremendous loss."

Originally published January 18, 2005