+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boise indoor facility

Big Dog Tech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really nice

Boise indoor facility

Here is a school that once thought bringing in Louisiana Tech was the biggest game in their 1-A history. Now they are building indoor facilities,selling out their stadium and adding suites, club seating, and upgrading all around.

It makes me sick to think that the overall lack of vision and leadership in our athletic program has let schools like Boise and Marshall pass us up.

BSU to move forward on indoor facility design

The State Board of Education gave Boise State permission Monday to spend up to $80,000 to hire a consultant to design plans for the indoor practice facility that football coach Dan Hawkins craves.

"When we renegotiated coach Hawkins' contract, he told me the one missing ingredient from our sports program was the indoor facility," BSU president Bob Kustra told the board at a monthly meeting in downtown Boise.

Kustra was joined by athletic director Gene Bleymaier and Stacy Pearson, the vice president for finance and administration, in making the request.
    The next step in the process is to hire the consultant, and then return to the board in a few months to ask for final approval. The likely timetable for that measure is April.

"What we will bring back is the full project and how we want to proceed," Bleymaier said, adding that the proposal will include all of the specifics, including how it will be funded and where it will be located.
    The project — with a full-sized football field and an estimated cost of $8 million — most likely will be built between the Boise River and the north end zone of Bronco Stadium. BSU hopes to break ground this summer, and construction could last six to eight months.

Bleymaier told board members the school has raised $3.27 million. The university plans to raise additional money through ticket surcharges, reserved parking sales and pre-game parties.

Also Monday, Boise State unveiled results of a feasibility analysis regarding its proposed expansion of Bronco Stadium, which could happen in time for the 2007 football season.
    The analysis, which was conducted by Conventions Sports & Leisure International at a cost of $75,000, showed there is significant interest in private suites, indoor club seats and the expansion of general stadium seating.

Here are the findings of the study, based on contact with 1,033 booster association members, football season ticket holders, local corporations, top program supporters and game-day fans:
    • Bronco Stadium can support 25 to 35 private suits that could seat 16 people apiece. The cost for each suite would be approximately $40,000 per year (tickets not included).

• Bronco Stadium can support 360 to 950 indoor club seats, ranging in price from $1,500 to $2,500 (tickets not included).

• Premium seating could generate $1.67 million a year in revenue that would be available to fund the project, which could cost $32 million to $44 million and take 30 years to finance.
    The funding potential over 30 years is $32.2 million, according to the study. The gap for additional funding could be made up from facility naming rights, capital gifts, ticket surcharges and vendor rights.

• In regard to the general expansion of Bronco Stadium, the study said demand from BAA members and season ticket-holders could support 1,750 additional season tickets and 1,350 additional individual tickets per game. That would produce an estimated annual revenue of $471,000, the study said.
    With the potential of additional ticket sales from the general public in new areas of the stadium, BSU anticipates $7 million in potential funding over 30 years.

The estimated cost of expanding Bronco Stadium could hit $15 million. The $8 million gap would be funded through ticket sales, naming rights, capital gifts, ticket surcharges and vendor rights, according to the study.
    • Based on naming rights of other collegiate football stadiums, BSU could get $445,000 annually for the naming rights of Bronco Stadium.

• The study pointed out that the region has 280 corporate headquarters with $5 million or more in annual sales and 25 or more employees, and 493 corporate branches with 25 or more employees, that do not donate to the Bronco Athletic Association or hold football season tickets.

"It will be imperative that premium seating marketing efforts aggressively target this market segment in addition to BAA members and current football season ticket holders,'' the study indicated.
    There was no board action on the potential expansion of Bronco Stadium. Monday's presentation simply was to keep the board informed of any progress, Bleymaier said.

"We're going through the procedures and the proper steps," he said.
    The next step for BSU is to start marketing the project, which could be completed no earlier than the 2007 football season, Bleymaier said.

The big news of the day was the first step in making the indoor facility a reality.

Kustra told the board members of recruiting breakfasts he's attended and how that facility is going to make a difference.
    "We are right now on the verge of being able to compete, team for team, with any team in the Pac-10 to our west," Kustra said. "There's just no question these kids we see now on Saturday mornings (on recruiting visits) are not here because they can't go to the Pac-10 or get stuck playing the second string in the Pac-10, they are coming to us because they want to play at Boise State as opposed to UCLA.''

But there are kids who "still look at schools who have facilities that can make them the best athletes they can be. Frankly, (the indoor facility is) more important than stadium suites as far as I can tell, and I think it's more important than filling in the seats around the stadium to make it 45,000 instead of 30,000."

!!! !

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Re: Boise indoor facility

Unless we start on these types of business ventures yesterday, we won't be able to continue to compete as one of the respected mid majors.

Period. Whether anyone wants to face it or not, field turf and a new scoreboard are a long ways from this type of improvement. This is a marketing job also, they have a product people want and they are cashing in. Depending on the sponsor a good naming rights deal could cover alot of their costs.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Just curious, does anyone know whether Idaho or Boise is considered the flagship school in the state? If Boise is, that would help explain a lot of their financial backing.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown
    Just curious, does anyone know whether Idaho or Boise is considered the flagship school in the state? If Boise is, that would help explain a lot of their financial backing.
    Boise State is #3 in the academic pecking order among Idaho universities. The 2000 Carnegie classification had Boise State as a Master's College and University I which is a step below Idaho State's Doctoral/Research--Intensive (also Louisiana Tech's classification) and two steps below the University of Idaho (Doctoral/Research--Extensive).

Boise State didn't offer its first 4-year degree until 1965.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck
    Boise State is #3 in the academic pecking order among Idaho universities. The 2000 Carnegie classification had Boise State as a Master's College and University I which is a step below Idaho State's Doctoral/Research--Intensive (also Louisiana Tech's classification) and two steps below the University of Idaho (Doctoral/Research--Extensive).

There goes that theory! I guess they just have an admin that cares...

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck

Remember, it's not where you're from that matters......it's where you're GOING!!!

HD

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    Remember, it's not where you're from that matters......it's where you're GOING!!!

HD
    em .............. except in New England, of course, which ain't Texas.

perhaps that helps to explain the flutie-hiker's mindset ??

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I'm glad Boise is spending their money on an indoor facility. With their geography, they could use some kind of assistance with practice time when the weather is horrible.
    Now, when they go out and play their November games, etc., they'll be in the same shape as their visitors: cold.

Kinda like West Monroe building their "indoor" practice facility, they'll do great . . . until it rains a storm during a game and they can't run inside to play.
    tm
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Big Dog Tech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really nice

Dawgpix,

These facilities help more in the off season. They allow for the team to condition and run 7-7 drills everyday. They also offer a mental edge that allows the players to concentrate on the drills and not on staying warm. Plus, it helps with the pre-season preparation in baseball and softball and is huge in recruiting.

I just got to think that if every NFL team and more and more NCAA teams are getting these things, then the positive has to be more than the negatives. Besides, I believe that football teams overcome weather by being mentally tough and prepared to play, two things our coach is not.

Varsity Bulldog Papadawg62 seems to have something between the earsPapadawg62 seems to have something between the earsPapadawg62 seems to have something between the earsPapadawg62 seems to have something between the earsPapadawg62 seems to have something between the earsPapadawg62 seems to have something between the ears Papadawg62's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown
    There goes that theory! I guess they just have an admin that cares...
    It's Amazing what winning will do for a program---Oh how I dream of yesteryear!!!:bigcry:

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

My Mom's side of the family is all from Idaho. I went to the U of I for 1 1/2 years in the early 90's.

If you would have told me in 1992, when Idaho was drilling Boise by 30 points every year, that Boise would be the powehouse that they are today, I would have laughed so hard I would have cried.

When they decided to go 1-a in 1994, they decided to do it right. However, the man who has made it happen is Hawkins. One coach has turned them from the team who plays on the Blue Turf to a team that will remain in the top 20 until he decides to move on. Even if that happens, the damage will be done and another coach may be able to step in and keep them at or close to the level they are at now.

Boise will be ranked in the top 12 next year and move up from there. Soon their stadium will seat 40,000. They will have an indoor facility that will make anyone drool.

Because of one coach.

Big Dog DeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud of DeepGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altadawg
    My Mom's side of the family is all from Idaho. I went to the U of I for 1 1/2 years in the early 90's.

If you would have told me in 1992, when Idaho was drilling Boise by 30 points every year, that Boise would be the powehouse that they are today, I would have laughed so hard I would have cried.

When they decided to go 1-a in 1994, they decided to do it right. However, the man who has made it happen is Hawkins. One coach has turned them from the team who plays on the Blue Turf to a team that will remain in the top 20 until he decides to move on. Even if that happens, the damage will be done and another coach may be able to step in and keep them at or close to the level they are at now.

Boise will be ranked in the top 12 next year and move up from there. Soon their stadium will seat 40,000. They will have an indoor facility that will make anyone drool.

Because of one coach.
    Well stated. Boise State has blown by many of the new crop of 1A programs(those that moved up in the early '90's). All because of a coach and an administration that cares.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix
    Kinda like West Monroe building their "indoor" practice facility, they'll do great . . . until it rains a storm during a game and they can't run inside to play.
    tm
    I was at West Monroe yesterday (played a soccer game on their new astro play turf, it is very nice!) Got a guided tour of their facility. Tech needs to annex West Monroe High School...and then use their practice facilities.

Amazing what winning will do to motivate boosters. Doubtful if WM was just like every other high school that their booster club would rival (surpass) most colleges.

Amazing too, how their academics and the academic facilities also benefit from a motivated, generous booster club. Hmmmm, hello DR!

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Goodbye DR would be better.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oledawg66
    Goodbye DR would be better.
    Amen!

HD

+ Reply to Thread