+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $6,000 RAISED in a little of a week -

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar

Re: $6,000 RAISED in a little of a week -

Has anyone thought of the dilemma that a pay-for-access recruiting folder could possibly create? The purpose of the recruiting folder as it is now is a place to post sensitive information that we don't want out in the open available for all to see, for whatever reason. If it is turned into a pay service, would BB&B be obligated to allow access to anyone who is willing to pay the fee? That would undercut the very purpose of having the recruiting folder in the first place. I am not saying I am against the idea of paying some sort of membership fee, but this is just one detail that will have to be worked out.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by NathanDarby
    Has anyone thought of the dilemma that a pay-for-access recruiting folder could possibly create? The purpose of the recruiting folder as it is now is a place to post sensitive information that we don't want out in the open available for all to see, for whatever reason. If it is turned into a pay service, would BB&B be obligated to allow access to anyone who is willing to pay the fee? That would undercut the very purpose of having the recruiting folder in the first place. I am not saying I am against the idea of paying some sort of membership fee, but this is just one detail that will have to be worked out.
    Excellent point. The same approval process would need to remain in place. Hum....

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

As one of the administrators of this site, let me chime in. First, there appears to be some interest here so it is definately something that we, as administrators, need to revisit.

Let's start with a little history lesson. The reason this site exists with it's own domain name is because Delphi decided to start charging for people to have advanced posting options like formatting and the started having pop-ups and ads all in the board unless you paid them. We started the site so our users wouldn't have to deal with that. As Dwayne said, we have ALWAYS been insistent that there would be no ads on this site and that it would be user supported on a voluntary basis. No charge for use. Insider's and Rivals both have pay areas on their sites. And if you look at the post counts, those areas get almost NO activity. IMHO, to make the Recruiting formum a paid access area would be to doom it to failure.

As an alternative, we chose a different route. Every year we have a Loyalty drive for fund raising. Every dime this site brings in goes directly to either La Tech Athletics or to the operating expense of this site, which is relatively minimal. Those people who donate to the loyalty campaign automatically have access to the Recruiting Forum. We have toyed with ideas to provide extra benefits to those loyalty donors, but it is hard to keep them going (special articles, monikers, etc.) Basically, we want to reward those who support Tech Athletic through this site and we want it to be because you want to, not because you have to in order to enjoy this site.

Now, for the time being and until the administrators can think up a way to impliment something that won't detract from the site, I'll remind ALL of you that you can give money to Tech through BB&B at ANY TIME!!! On the main page (www.latechbbb.com) on the menu on the left there is a Support BB&B link. This link takes you to a page which contains links to three specific fund areas (BB&B operations, Loyalty Donors, and enhanced chat). At any time, we can add other categories. There is NOTHING keeping you from paying for your access to the site or sluffing a few extra $$$'s when you have it. As y'all know, we use these funds to support specific projects that are going on. And you can designate the funds when you give them if you choose.

Just thought I would add that in here.

TDF (Chris)

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    I know that you don't think a separate athletic foundation is the way to go right now. Thus, I can see that you wouldn't particularly be in favor of a "membership" fee for certain sections of this board. I suppose that if we were to do something like what was being purposed, we would automatically be a separate athletic foundation (by definition). Do you think we would see beefed up opposition from the administration if we were to do something like this? If we can't do something of this nature, would it be wrong to have some sort of discretionary (pardon my spelling) fund that members could give to when they could afford it? The point of this fund being that we would have money at our fingertips in case someone needed it fast. I guess my thinking is that the coaches would know who to call when the administration is putting the screws to them.

Whatever we do, I'm very proud of how we've raised money for folks who needed and deserved it.
    We wouldn't be a Foundation if we "charged" for access for certain portion of the sites, but we would be a "business" and since we are an LLC it would open up a window that would be alittle more difficult to argue if we ever had to argue the point -

When we have a Loyalty Drive (and we will do one this year) we basically do create a "discretionary" fund that the board can then use to support various projects after the operating costs are taken care of and that gives us the leeway to take on certain projects with having to "beg" money all the time -

For 2004 over 95% of the money we disbursed went directly in support of a certain project - our board costs were less than 5% of our costs - and we had projects of over $6,500 last year with basically no "loyalty campaign"...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Johnny

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Special Thanks to the Administrators for keeping the board up and running. We would all be in the dark w/ Tech Athletics and information w/out this site for all of us to communicate. Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    Special Thanks to the Administrators for keeping the board up and running. We would all be in the dark w/ Tech Athletics and information w/out this site for all of us to communicate. Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication.
    ,,,,,,,,,AND THE CHOIR SAID AMEN!!

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    Where would the lunatechs be without an asylum?
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

I would not be in favor of access fee for certain parts of board. There are only about 2-3 people that actually provided recruiting information involving Tech in that forum. The rest......well I think you get the point. If the board administrators need a small operational fee to run the board, then that is their call.

It is still my hope that some wise people will establish a Tech Foundation/Athletic Facilities or Improvement Account/Fund that people can give to. I for one, wouldn't mind leaving some of my estate in Will to such an account. For now, I feel the independent work of the board is adequate and iniitiatives should be screened first.

For the first time since I left Tech back in the seventies, I chose not to give money to the Champs (former ACT) this year, but instead sent it to Tech Foundation and specified 2 sports that it be split equally between. It was a personal decision in that I was uncomfortable with how Oakes treated money in Champs in the past, even though a person wanted money to a specific sport. I would rather have the 10% taken off top by Foundation administering money separately than have Mr. Oakes not allow $1 of my money where I specified in Champs. You as well have probably noted that Mr. Oakes removed designation to a particular sport from Champs donation form. You would also see that designated donations in the Tech Foundatin have increased substantially past 2 years.

I'm not advocating that anyone not give to Champs. It's just another avenue for some and I annually give for both college of business and athletic sports now through Tech Foundation. I also donated, not purchase for my own use, money for chairbacks. All told, it's not as much as most of you give, but at about $2,000, I am tapped out and can't help as much on a lot of initiatives that appear on this board. I still need my money for season tickets, which I am unable to use all the time.

I believe what you are seeing now are more requests from this forum for minor sports (baseball, softball, tennis) due to Mr. Simoneaux's efforts and movement to use designated accounts at Tech Foundation for particular initiatives and others have seen some success. Keep up the good work!

I think these initiatives are excellent for many that are unable to give substantially in other ways or first time starters. So keep them up, but charge access to what goes on our current Recruiting forum...No.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

My 2 cents. I do not really see a need for fees or paying for services. Just name the need and it looks like the community will respond very nicely. $6000+ in a week is excellent, just tell us what is needed. In the future you may want to hold fundraising activities twice a year and let people know about it in advance so we can prepare. Then find out the needs from the different sports and let us know. If we know fundraising is coming up, we can reallocate resources in advance. That would be a help in my situation at least. We probably cannot continue to raise $6000 a week indefinitely, but it was great to see everyone pull together on these projects.

Big Dog DarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really nice

It seems to me we should be trying to add members not take some out....

+ Reply to Thread