+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wiley Hilburn Article -- Lewis' Dept. Store

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Wiley Hilburn Article -- Lewis' Dept. Store

From today's (Monday's) Shreveport Times.

Farewell on the passing of the last department store
    January 31, 2005

News last week that the oldest department store in Louisiana was closing its doors this March made me feel, well, naked. At the time, I was wearing an overcoat, shirt, shoes and underwear, all purchased from Lewis & Company of Ruston. My son Kevin Hilburn had given me after-shave from Lewis' -- 10 years ago.

Indeed, there is no article of clothing in my closet that does not come from Lewis'. I'm a loyal client when a business of whatever kind -- especially a local business -- gives me good service.

At Lewis', they knew my collar size, my shoe size and my mother's and daddy's name. I never had a charge card, but nobody ever asked for it. When I wrote a book, Lewis' sold it, between the perfume and pajamas. The Lewis first cousins, last owners of the 140-year-old retail store, wanted a hometown boy's work for its hometown customers. It seemed natural.

Lewis' sales personnel extended this kind of courtesy and attention to all its customers for over a century. A big purchase would get you a thank-you note from the sales person.

Lewis' sales people carved out careers of their own at the retailer. Generations of Louisiana Tech students established their first credit at the store. Older people just called and had delivered what they wanted. It all seemed natural in business.

Richard and William Lewis were not fourth-generation burnouts. Indeed, the pair broadened their inventory and continued to specialize in name brands and customer service and good sales people. It's a wonder they kept it going so long. Their business forebears would be proud of them.

The thing is, corporations and customers alike don't value service and loyalty in the Wal-Mart era. Salesmen today are just order-takers and you better know your own shirt size. There is no loyalty in the market. Local business undercuts other local business. Cut-throat. Survival of the cheapest. It isn't natural, but it's true, and that's why Lewis' died an unnatural death.

After being blown away by Lewis' demise, I stopped by Patterson's barbershop (113 E. Mississippi) for a comfort haircut. Patterson's is just down the street from Lewis'.

Patterson's was founded in 1920 and three generations of Hilburns have had their hair clipped in there -- from my dad to my son, Greg Hilburn. George Leachman swore to me that he would not shut down Patterson's without permission from me or Greg. That's only natural.

When I told my friend Dixie Griffin of Ruston my world was collapsing with the end of Lewis', he typically said, "Wiley, get a wider world."

He's right. I'm not going naked because Lewis' is shutting down (I want Dixie to know this). Change is inevitable, and times change -- often for the best. Actually Lewis' died a natural death, but it's a tragedy anyway. An American business tragedy. Lewis' was the last department store in Louisiana -- maybe America.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Re: Wiley Hilburn Article -- Lewis' Dept. Store

I have always enjoyed Wiley's fragments...even if he is a Democrat!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK
    I have always enjoyed Wiley's fragments...even if he is a Democrat!
    I enjoy Wiley too. I'm currently reading his latest book.
    Go Tech!

Bulldog Catch22 has turned a few heads around hereCatch22 has turned a few heads around here Catch22's Avatar

At Lewis', they knew my collar size, my shoe size and my mother's and daddy's name. I never had a charge card, but nobody ever asked for it. When I wrote a book, Lewis' sold it, between the perfume and pajamas. The Lewis first cousins, last owners of the 140-year-old retail store, wanted a hometown boy's work for its hometown customers. It seemed natural.
    They also knew the size of your wallet!!!! Sorry to say that! I hated shopping in Lewis', they were rude and crude!

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaDawg
    I enjoy Wiley too. I'm currently reading his latest book.
    Wiley and I started in the same class at Tech. Although I was in engineering and he was headed toward journalism, we had a few classes together and participated in a lot of discussions in the dorm.

I always enjoyed his ability to compose a picture with words. I see he hasn't lost that touch!!

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Nice to remember Ruston as it once was.

I haven't asked here in two or three years. What was the barbecue/sandwich shop near campus that let students make their own change from an open box and had an allegedly blind proprietor in the 50s, 60s?

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by aubunique
    Nice to remember Ruston as it once was.

I haven't asked here in two or three years. What was the barbecue/sandwich shop near campus that let students make their own change from an open box and had an allegedly blind proprietor in the 50s, 60s?
    Aub...

It was called "Greasy Bill's". Located behind Bogard Hall. the original was a very small brown brick building that was not kept very spotless. but the homemade doughnuts and the B-Que were superb.

I remember well the "make your own change" basket of money. Could you imagine anyone trying that today????

I really can't remember if old Bill was blind or not. I don't seem to recall that!

Sometime in the late 50's or early 60's they built a new place right next door and tore down the old original building. the new one was still called Greasy's as I recall.

I do know I consumed a lot of that B-Que and other "Greasy" delights during my Tech career.

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar

I was a very small boy when my grandparents would take me to Greasy Bill's. I don't remember him being blind but he sure as heck was a character.

+ Reply to Thread