http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs...502040338/1006

Article published Feb 4, 2005
STAYING POWER
Duo's careers are true tales of ups/downs

By Scott Beder
sbeder@thenewsstar.com

RUSTON — When Wade Simoneaux arrived three years ago, he brought a certain my-way-or-the-highway mentality to the Louisiana Tech baseball program.

Consequently, there was bumper-to-bumper traffic on the highway leading out of Ruston. Three years following the purge, two players remain from the previous regime under Coach Whitey Richardson — second baseman Brandon Haygood and pitcher Mitch Tucker.

Those two seniors not only survived the Simoneaux transition, but as the Bulldogs get set to begin the 2005 season today at McNeese State, Haygood and Tucker represent key figures in Simoneaux's goal of lifting Tech baseball out of the doldrums.

"Haygood and Tucker survived the transition and I tip my hat to them," said Simoneaux, whose intense, hard-driving style couldn't have been more different from the laid-back Richardson. "It's hard to go through transition and get used to a new system. They welcomed the change. Those that didn't are no longer with us."

Haygood, a 5-10, 180-pound second baseman, has been a starter since signing with Tech out of Airline High School. Haygood made an immediate impact as a freshman, batting .282 with seven home runs, including two grand slams, and also put together a 15-game hitting streak playing for Richardson.

Then Richardson resigned to pursue his private business interests and Simoneaux was hired after a successful seven-year stint as the top assistant at Louisiana-Lafayette. As the oil-to-water transition took place, Haygood struggled.

"Anytime you get a new coach it's difficult because it's different," Haygood said. "Change is hard. It was very difficult and sometimes I didn't understand the situation or get a feel for where he was coming from."

As a result, Haygood's production dropped dramatically. After being named to the preseason All-Western Athletic Conference team, Haygood finished the season batting .270 with no home runs and four RBIs.

Quitting or transferring, however, weren't an option for Haygood.

"I have a love for the game and I wasn't quitting because of a new coach or a new system," Haygood said. "That's how I was raised. I'm all about loyalty and once you strap it on for someone, I'm not going to try to run somewhere else."

Said Simoneaux: "Attitude-wise, Haygood's been on board since I stepped on campus. He struggled some my first year, but he's a good kid who means well."

Last year Haygood bounced back, hitting .279 with five home runs, 26 RBIs and led the WAC with 21 stolen bases while hitting leadoff for the Bulldogs.

He led the team with 49 runs scored and during one stretch hit safely in 17 of 19 games.

"He's gotten a lot better at the mental part of the game," Simoneaux said. "He understands the ups and downs. He can overcome an error and keep playing. He can overcome a strikeout and keep swinging. That's a big part of the game."

And now Haygood is a big part of what Simoneaux is trying to accomplish after going 38-72 in his first two seasons

"Haygood's body has gotten stronger and his speed has gotten better and in the last three years he's gotten better and is in a position where pro scouts are looking at him," Simoneaux said.

While Haygood figures as a prominent component of the everyday lineup, Tucker is a central figure in Tech's pitching rotation. The former West Monroe right-hander opens the season as Tech's No. 2 starter behind ace Clayton Meyer.

"I'm looking for some senior leadership and some consistency from him," Simoneaux said. "I don't need the Jekyll and Hyde guy from last year."

Tucker had little trouble adapting to Simoneaux's coaching style, and in fact embraced the new approach. His problems have been on the mound. One game Tucker can be nearly unhittable. In another, he might not get through the first inning.

"I'm just now realizing what it took to be honest," Tucker said. "It's taken a couple of years to realize it. Last year about the middle of the season I finally realized I'm not going to throw it by people."

Tucker's sophomore and junior seasons are almost identical. Two years ago he was 4-5 with a 7.84 ERA. Last year he was 4-7 with a 7.83 ERA. But last season he produced a couple of memorable starts that seemed to ignite his career.

In an April 18 start at Hawaii, Tucker threw a complete-game, one-hit shutout to give Tech a 1-0 win that snapped a nine-game losing streak.

Then on May 18 Tucker threw a complete-game six-hitter in a 7-1 win over Louisiana-Monroe.

"The one-hitter at Hawaii gave us a huge lift," Simoneaux said. "At Monroe he had a shutout going into the ninth. He had thrown 130 pitches, but he didn't want to come out."

Then this fall, Simoneaux said Tucker turned a corner. He became a pitcher instead of a thrower and started gaining control of his curve and changeup.

"If he has command of the strike zone with three pitches, Mitch can be very, very effective," Simoneaux said. "If not, he struggles."

Now in their final seasons, Haygood and Tucker would love nothing better than to be part of a winning team at Tech. At the very least they can take solace in the fact that they stuck it out through a tough transition and helped lay the foundation for the future. "I wish I was a freshman," Tucker said. "The future is positive."

2005 Tech baseball preview

SCOUTING REPORT

<LI>2004 record: 20-38, 10-20 in the Western Athletic Conference (sixth)

<LI>Coach: Wade Simoneaux (38-72, third year)

<LI>Assistants: Brian Rountree, Fran Andermann, Toby White

<LI>Ballpark: J.C. Love Field (3,500)

<LI>Season opener: 7 p.m. today at McNeese State

<LI>Home opener: Feb. 18, vs. Arkansas, 6 p.m.

QUICK HITS

<LI>Bulldog ace: Senior right-hander Clayton Meyer was Tech's best pitcher last season and returns as the No. 1 starter after leading the team with five wins.

<LI>Big stick: Senior outfielder Gil Laird batted .315 with five home runs and 25 RBIs last season.

<LI>Speedy Gonzales: Brandon Haygood led the WAC with 21 stolen bases last season and has the green light to run on his own.

<LI>Newcomer to watch: Ryan Hamilton, a Blinn CC transfer has given Tech a major upgrade at third base with his glove and bat.

<LI>X-Factor: Tech's relief pitching has to come through. The Bulldogs were the worst pitching team in the WAC last year, but a major influx of new arms should remedy the situation.

<LI>Outlook: On paper this is Simoneaux's best team to date. If Tech can play defense and shore up its bullpen, they could make some noise in the WAC.

PROJECTED LINEUP

<LI>2B Brandon Haygood (Sr.): Four-year starter who led WAC in stolen bases last year

<LI>CF Adam Cobb (Fr.): Hit .481 with 20 stolen bases at Ashdown (Ark.) High School last year.

<LI>3B Ryan Hamilton (Jr.): Hit .386 with 6 HRs as sophomore at Blinn.

<LI>DH Albie Goulder (Fr.): Highly regarded freshman with a big bat. Hit 9 HRs as senior at Cactus Shadows (Ariz.) High School.

<LI>1B Joseph McCarthy (Jr.): Hit .350 with 50 RBIs and 26 stolen bases at Phoenix CC.

<LI>RF Gil Laird (Sr.): Tech's top returning hitter from a year ago with .315 average, 5 HRs and 25 RBIs.

<LI>C Mims Boyce (Jr.): Ex-West Monroe standout started 41 games last season and hit .307.

<LI>LF Travis Granberry (Jr.): A first-team all-conference pick at Alabama Southern CC last year.

<LI>SS Gary Holik (Sr.): Solid shortstop who hit .243 with 10 stolen bases last year.

WEEKEND STARTERS

<LI>RHP Clayton Meyer (Sr.): Undisputed ace who won five games last year. Numbers would have been better with bullpen help.

<LI>RHP Matt Tucker (Sr.): Won four games and struck out 55 batters in 66 2/3 innings last year.

<LI>RHP Matt Lacy (Jr.): Threw 10-inning, complete-game win over No. 4 Rice last year. Will miss first 12 games due to academics.

RELIEVERS AND WEEKDAY STARTERS

<LI>Andrew Alsup (So.): Sidewinder has made great strides. Could be used in closing situations.

<LI>RHP Steve Alverson (Jr.): Quality JC arm who will bolster sagging bullpen.

<LI>RHP Brandon Hudson (So.): Could fill No. 3 starter spot until Lacy returns. Also quality outfielder.

<LI>RHP Alan Knotts (Fr.): Redshirted last season. Will get bullpen duty.

<LI>LHP Andrew Lassere (Fr.): 11-1 with 1.25 ERA at Destrehan last year.

<LI>RHP Aaron Lorio (Fr.): Big, hard thrower who could see spot starting duty until Lacy returns.

<LI>LHP Brody Love (So.): Logged 46 1/3 innings as freshman.

<LI>RHP Dylan Moseley (Fr.): Highly-regarded freshman. Drafted in 33rd round by Cincinnati.

<LI>RHP Amos Ramon (Jr.): A Texas juco all-star last season.

<LI>RHP Ryan Rupert (Jr.): Hard thrower who could start or close.

RHP Devin Scott (Fr.): 9-2 with 2.00 ERA at Denham Springs.