+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bicknell issue...

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Re: The Bicknell issue...

Here comes my red dot again. You all know how I feel. He did as good of a job last year as any coach could have done. I think he is improving as a head coach. I am happy with the hires he has made. I think the Crowton deal was just rumor. I am happy with the honesty and integrity he displays with the recruits. I am happy with the graduation rate of the players. He really showed me something last year. We could have won the UTEP game, but I don't think that was his fault.....we didn't make the plays when we needed to. I do think he needs to bring in a fresh offensive mind to change up some things this year though.

Champ george is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of light

In the few months I have been a member of this site, this is really the first post I have seen RE: Jack Bicknell that is not just a Bicknell bashing stream of consciousness, so I thought I'd reply. I know I would have probably fired Jack Bicknell after the L.S.U. debacle in 2003 before he had a chance to get on the bus. But that would have been an emotional reaction. I know we had the unfortunate luck of playing L.S.U. the one year they were national champions. I also know we could not have won that game, but 49-3 at halftime is inexcusable against anyone. However, he survived; then the last game of the year we lose by a large margin at home to a bad Rice team. Tech clearly was not motivated at all to play. While the L.S.U. game was more upsetting to us as fans, this was actually worse.
    But he survived that too much to many people's disappointment. This year the team rebounded fairly well - not great but not disastrous. So I though I'd check some facts out before giving opinion. I would say that as non BCS conferences go, the WAC is better than average. We are probably not quite as strong as the Mountain West top to bottom, but not lagging too far behind. I would also say we are on par about with CUSA. We are clearly stronger than either the MAC or the Sun Belt or any straggling independents out there. In those four years our conference record is 18-14. And with the non conference schedule we usually play, it is difficult to get bowl eligible playing upper echelon BCS games almost exclusively on the road. The facts show us that we are a slightly above average team in an above average non BCS conference. Unfortunately, only one bowl bid has come from that and we performed horribly in that game.
    Also, I do not hear about an immense amount of off field trouble or horrible grade problems with Bicknell as coach that creates a national black eye for the program. As a Tech graduate, that does matter to me a great deal.
    So if all of these numbers make you feel like Bicknell should be fired that's fine. But is troubling to read the posts that are generally on this site proclaiming our program is in absolute shambles and is beyond salvation. That is simply not factual. I also frequently read that Bicknell and staff do a horrible job of coaching this immense talent we have. Well, I do not put a great deal of stock in recruiting rankings, but I'm not so sure we have incredible talent. If you believe in these rankings we usually perform on the field about like we recruit. I believe rivals.com had our class around 80th this year and that is generally about where we fall. Once again, not great but not horrible either when comparing us to other non BCS schools.
    I think this is what frustrates so many of our fans. We are close to getting over the top, but just aren't quite getting there. It is OK to be a passionate fan and express displeasure, especially on a site like this, but its not bad to throw a little realism in there every once and a while too.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

My problem is no longer with Bicknell. The UTEP loss was devastating, but his record has improved by one game each year. With the exception of Ark, Clemson, & So.Carolina, I really believe that Tech was the BEST team not to make a bowl last year.

He is, in my opinion, improving as a gameday coach. Slowly ... too slowly for many on this board ... and I am not going to argue with them. Their expecatations are totally justified.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

To me the bottom line is bowls. We have been to 1 bowl under him. The game is played for the post season. I expect to go to a bowl 3 out of 5 years. We have been to 1. No freakin excuses, he is the coach.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech74
    Is ANYBODY of the opinion that Francis Thompson would have been a better choice when F. Jay "retired"?
    I know Francis, He is too much of a NULM guy.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Well balanced post, George.

Personally, I have wished for a coaching change at the end of each of the last two seasons. It didn't happen, and I really don't see we have anything to gain by continally harping on that subject, because it won't matter until sometime next season, if then.

We have a lot of things on which I think we need to join together and voice our opinion. First and foremost would be on the subject of "What is our vision for Tech athletics, and how do we make it happen?"

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by checkerboard
    Exactly my point. There are a list of reasons some of you may come up with but he is here and we need to support him.
    I certainly do not agree with you on that. I love Louisiana Tech, but I expect some degree of value for my entertainment dollars elsewhere, does Tech football get a pass? Not from me. It would be one thing if there was a clear direction for the program towards winning and being successful. We constantly get slapped in the face with mediocrity - less than actually - and are expected to keep supporting the program/coach in the same way? I think not! While I do not think everything is Bicknell's fault, when you have the attitude that beating a 2 and something Tulsa team near the end of the season is the best thing in your life next to having children, you have a losing attitude and should not be leading a football program aspiring to even three wins! As a Tech fan valuing excellence and wanting some W's I was humiliated by this remark and our administration's obvious tolerance of it!

If what we are doing is not producing the results that we want, why do we keep doing the same thing and expecting different results? While I can't do anything about the coaching situation I'm trying a different approach. With the state of our program, its just not worth it for me to drive up from Baton Rouge to see mediocrity or worse. When things get better, I'll be most happy to drive up regularly for the football games again. I refuse to keep playing like all is fine and wonderful when its certainly not in my view.

No question if I lived in Ruston, I'd still be at every game. But, there's a great deal of time and money investment when you live away to attend games. When my alma mater treats football like all they should have to do is throw a team out there to call themselves a success, why should I keep treating it as a worthy investment of 5 weekends for home games each fall? Do the math on driving up to Ruston, staying in a hotel, eating out all weekend, returning home tired and frustrated. Where's the value there? Tech needs to show me that they want to be something other than local entertainment.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_Won
    I think the Crowton deal was just rumor.

Keep on thinking that. The Crowton deal was and will always be FACT.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by markay714
    I certainly do not agree with you on that. I love Louisiana Tech, but I expect some degree of value for my entertainment dollars elsewhere, does Tech football get a pass? Not from me. It would be one thing if there was a clear direction for the program towards winning and being successful. We constantly get slapped in the face with mediocrity - less than actually - and are expected to keep supporting the program/coach in the same way? I think not! While I do not think everything is Bicknell's fault, when you have the attitude that beating a 2 and something Tulsa team near the end of the season is the best thing in your life next to having children, you have a losing attitude and should not be leading a football program aspiring to even three wins! As a Tech fan valuing excellence and wanting some W's I was humiliated by this remark and our administration's obvious tolerance of it!

If what we are doing is not producing the results that we want, why do we keep doing the same thing and expecting different results? While I can't do anything about the coaching situation I'm trying a different approach. With the state of our program, its just not worth it for me to drive up from Baton Rouge to see mediocrity or worse. When things get better, I'll be most happy to drive up regularly for the football games again. I refuse to keep playing like all is fine and wonderful when its certainly not in my view.

No question if I lived in Ruston, I'd still be at every game. But, there's a great deal of time and money investment when you live away to attend games. When my alma mater treats football like all they should have to do is throw a team out there to call themselves a success, why should I keep treating it as a worthy investment of 5 weekends for home games each fall? Do the math on driving up to Ruston, staying in a hotel, eating out all weekend, returning home tired and frustrated. Where's the value there? Tech needs to show me that they want to be something other than local entertainment.
    IMHO, a great post. Many of us are right there with you. We expect more of TECH and Dream Bigger Dreams for the DAWGS (not a bad slogan for a T-Shirt)! We just want our ADM to make it happen.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

I totally agree with you there Markay. We are all on here wanting the Dawgs to improve. That is why we are interested in who they recruit and what is going on with the team. If we are going to accept status quo, why are we here talking about it. I actually heard someone this week that told me that Bicknell was the best coach we had had at Tech, bar none. I knew at that point that he was an idiot - even if he is reading. We need a coach that was fighting to win every game, not just the ones that he thinks he can. We do not have that. We do not have a coach that will ever be accused of overworking, nor one that works his players hard. I have always been taught that you practice how you are going to play. We don't even practice after the season starts. He may be a nice man, but, there are alot of nice men out there. Why don't we find one that can coach next season. It sure would bring some excitement to the program. Oh, and it might even bring a little more money in the program too.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS
    IMHO, a great post. Many of us are right there with you. We expect more of TECH and Dream Bigger Dreams for the DAWGS (not a bad slogan for a T-Shirt)! We just want our ADM to make it happen.
    Exactly! Look, I am known as one of the most optimistic fans on this board. I think we can win when no one else does. I would think we could win against the Dallas Cowboys (actually, we probably could have the last few years :-).

While I am truly optimistic and a "gung ho" fan, I have been disappointed too many times. It is frustrating that we have an administration that is not willing to make a change that could take us up to the next level.

Saying all of that, I will be right there for the Dawgs again next year. I LOVE Louisiana Tech and will always cheer them on. It may be with a little less enthusiasm each year that we don't demand excellence, though.

Big Dog LongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the rough LongtimeDawgfan's Avatar

I guess I can sum it up in two words,
    WASTED POTENTIAL.
    That is what is so frustrating....as a longtime supporter I see how good we could be with discipline, sound coaching and strong leadership....as nice and friendly as Coach Bicknell may be, in my opinion, he does not get the most out of his team.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Good Points all. Its hard to pack the kids up or hit the in-laws up for baysitting , drive 4-5 hours , food , hotels , tickets , ect... just to feel like you've been kicked in the stomach the whole ride home. Hell thats worse than going to the dentist. At least he's local.

Like the rest of you , if we were losing but headed in the right direction I would feel a lot better. But we are not making the effort and our HC is accepting of that and has a losers mentality. Lesser quality programs are catching up to us. I'll keep it up for a bit longer but I don't know for how long.

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

My case in point is JB's quote after the Tulsa game in S'port, where he said that was the greatest win or something to that effect.

I also agree that after the '01 WAC championship we tried to run with the big boys for too long. Simple solution for JB is one less money game a season.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

No matter how you slice it, Bicknell never had the experience to be a head coach and he has proved that dramatically over the last couple of years. Instead of owning up to their mistake, the administration sticks their head in the sand and never pulls it out. The minimum requirement for a head coach in a D-1 program should be D-1 coordinator experience; not hiking a long pass or being born a famous coaches' son.

DFiH

+ Reply to Thread