+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BBQ Ribs in Ruston

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

BBQ Ribs in Ruston

Well, let me tell you folks that just about my favorite food is, and has always been, BBQ Ribs. Only thing is, I’m pretty dawg-gone particular about ‘em. They gotta be GOOD, and there aren’t very many places that consistently serve good BBQ Ribs (though I’ll try out almost anyplace once).

But, getting to the main point here ………I’d noticed a while back that we have a poster on here (Pitcherjlt) who carries a “Dowling’s Smokehouse” tag around on his posts, so I’d been looking for Dowling’s Smokehouse on my trips to Ruston. Never spotted it, so I had to get the address off the net. No wonder I never spotted it, ‘cause I haven’t been on Cooktown Road just north of the interstate in many, many moons.

Back to the main point……….. I have now been to Dowling’s Smokehouse (twice—before the Techsters game last Saturday and before the Bulldogs game this Thursday) and pigged-out on the BBQ Ribs, and they are EXCELLENT. BTW, the wife and I don’t live in Ruston, so we have to drive in for the games, and since they’ve moved the b/b games up to 6:30, it really messes up eating before we leave home, and we usually don’t have a whole lot of time to eat once we get to Ruston. So this is just perfect – GREAT BBQ Ribs just spitting distance across the I-State Hwy. from the TAC .

Nothing like going to Dowling’s Smokehouse and gnawing on a rack o’ bones just before watching the Dawgs play ! ! !

jmo

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: BBQ Ribs in Ruston

I know my favorite place to get BBQ is the Rib Shack on hwy 167 south of Ruston. It's a carryout bbq joint but very good eats. Opens like noon till night.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001
    I know my favorite place to get BBQ is the Rib Shack on hwy 167 south of Ruston. It's a carryout bbq joint but very good eats. Opens like noon till night.
    I've picked up BBQ Ribs at the Rib Shack on a number of occasions in the past. Sometimes, they were pretty good; mostly they were o.k., sometimes not quite up to par -- jmo.

But, when you walk into the Rib Shack do you pass right under a Louisiana Tech banner ?? ans. -- Hell No.

And, when you look at the folks on the donors' lists for the projects here on the BB&B, do you ever see the Rib Shack represented ?? ans. -- Hell No.

I won't be going back to the Rib Shack. Besides, the BBQ Ribs at Dowling's Smokehouse are better, anyhow.

Big Dog LongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the rough LongtimeDawgfan's Avatar

Dowlings is GREAT! And supports Tech big time. One suggestion to them...put up a BIG sign that can be seen when people exit the interstate. If I-20 traffic gets off on that exit unless you know about Dowlings you can't tell it is a place to eat from the exit. I think they could increase business with a big sign.

Puppy dawgfighter305 has turned a few heads around heredawgfighter305 has turned a few heads around here

Is the Rib Shack where Cowboy's used to be a couple of years ago?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgfighter305
    Is the Rib Shack where Cowboy's used to be a couple of years ago?
    No, that's Hot Rods or something like that. It's no Cowboy's (or BBQ City for you older timers). Rib Shack is in the south part of town on 167.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Man, that Dowlings Ham sandwich is much better than their ribs. Not knocking their ribs because they are good too, but that smoked cheese and sauce. I can taste it now. Dang and I'm all the way in Baton Rouge not knowing when I'll make it back up there. I wonder if I can get them to mail me some.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

i used to get the ham and cheese or the scatterload and cheese, but when he introduced the rib and cheese, that was it. i dont eat anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by JAY
    i used to get the ham and cheese or the scatterload and cheese, but when he introduced the rib and cheese, that was it. i dont eat anything else.
    Dang. Last night before the Dawg's game I got the rib sandwich and a side of sausage (before helping the wife finish off her 1/2 rack of ribs ), but I forgot to order the cheese. I KNEW something was missing. That calls for another trip ! !

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I never had dowlings...do they have brisket...i lover some brisket? if so, how is it?

Quote Originally Posted by qng001
    I never had dowlings...do they have brisket...i lover some brisket? if so, how is it?
    u like it dry or moist ??

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by nadB
    u like it dry or moist ??
    Moist here!

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS
    Moist here!
    Same here. I've only tried the brisket one time, and it was a little dry for me, but it had a good flavor and was very tender. Looking to try that smoked cheese.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I like moist brisket and ribs any way you put 'em in front of me. Because of this thread, my brother and I went to Dowlings after the Dawgs romped on San Jose. We got the ribs and were both pleased. The best part was the Tech flag that I walked under as I entered the establishment. I'll gladly support a local business that supports the dawgs.
    Last edited by johnnylightnin; 02-18-2005 at 12:55 AM. Reason: I'm 5'9"
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Johnny, how big an ole boy are you? Last time I was there (football season) I walked right under the flag!

+ Reply to Thread