+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BBQ Ribs in Ruston

Varsity Bulldog LSUcks seems to have something between the earsLSUcks seems to have something between the earsLSUcks seems to have something between the earsLSUcks seems to have something between the earsLSUcks seems to have something between the earsLSUcks seems to have something between the ears LSUcks's Avatar

Re: BBQ Ribs in Ruston

I like ribs!!!

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

best ribs in ruston, hands down, is rib shack. the only ones i've had that were better were nowhere near ruston, they were in memphis...they were dang good, but not worth the commute

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Moon's in Antioch - south of Summerfield has the best ribs in all of North LA - hands down, no contest -

And thier marinated ribeye is better than their ribs -

And their cheese is top notch -

Call ahead, get there early - they only prep a certain amount each nite for cooking - and when its gone its gone -

BTW - the atmosphere is "ultra casual"....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    Man, that Dowlings Ham sandwich is much better than their ribs. Not knocking their ribs because they are good too, but that smoked cheese and sauce. I can taste it now. Dang and I'm all the way in Baton Rouge not knowing when I'll make it back up there. I wonder if I can get them to mail me some.
    Tried the ham sandwich with the smoked cheese just b-4 the Techster's game (today/yesterday) on your recco. SUPERB ! ! ! (the wife got the half rack of ribs, and I got to help finish them off, too )

Varsity Bulldog sportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of light sportkid's Avatar

My wife and I love the turkey and cheese on sourdough bread. However, I had the ribs the other day and they were delicious. A buddy of mine has recommended the rib and cheese sandwich so I'll probably give that a try when I get a chance. Excellent place to eat!

SK

Puppy Rustonite is an unknown

Try the 7 rib plate, it is even better when you get it for the 3 rib plate price
    The owner is nice, good guy- he use to play at RHS and La tech for the ignorant ones that dont know. Tell him he needs to stop working so much and go to a few games, im sure that b ball time is here we see him more often!!

Ribbit!!

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Obviously, being up here in Claiborne Parish, I like Moon's, but in Ruston my BBQ place is now Dowlings. Good food and great Tech supporter. I like going into a place that has playback of Tech games on the tube. We just need to get some more big wins so he'll have more selection.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Moon's in Antioch - south of Summerfield has the best ribs in all of North LA - hands down, no contest -

And thier marinated ribeye is better than their ribs -

And their cheese is top notch -

Call ahead, get there early - they only prep a certain amount each nite for cooking - and when its gone its gone -

BTW - the atmosphere is "ultra casual"....
    FINALLY -- Happened to be in the "neighborhood" at about the appropriate time this afternoon, so I bothered to find Antioch and try out Moon's.

FWIW, here's my review:

Gotta admit; def. "ultra casual" and not anything like a "chain" or "theme" place, but it has a certain "ambiance" not often found at the eating places I usually frequent. :icon_wink:

The wife and I went, and we arrived about 4:55 p.m. Had to wait quite a while, and didn't get served until 5:50 p.m. Learned that they don't even start cooking until 5:00 p.m. (or whenever they get around to it), which was fine by us, as we watched the Saints game on t.v. while waiting, and were in no hurry, anyhow.

Hardly anybody in the place when we first got there, but after 5:00 p.m. folks started pouring in. Soon, the place was filled up; more people than seats. Learned that the locals mostly call in their orders ahead of time; some of them eat there, but there were lots and lots of take outs.

Seating is limited. There is one round table that seats four. We sat there with some dude from Eldorado; nice, friendly chap. To our right, there was a rectangular table that seats six; some folks came in just after 5:00 p.m. and filled it up. They had called in their orders in advance, but didn't get served until right before us. Otherwise, folks sit at one of two long tables with benches if space is available.

Very limited menu. Steaks, BBQ Ribs, and Sandwiches. We were in the mood for steaks, so the wife and I both ordered the 1-1/2", medium rare (the steaks are sold by thickness, 1-1/4", 1-1/2", and 2"). Choice of baked potato, potato salad, and beans comes with it. Light bread on the table with all kinds of sauces and such.

Steaks were quite big; wife's was a bit larger than mine. We both took some home in a take out box.

I wanted to try the ribs, so I asked the waitress if I could get just one bbq rib; she said, "Sure, no problem".

Bottom Line:

Steaks were SUPERB. Next time, I'll get the 2" thick so I'll have more to take home for later.

Disappointed in the BBQ Ribs. IMO, Dowlings beats 'em Big-Time; No Contest.

Rating: (on a scale of 0 - 3), including the novelty and fun factor.

Took a few pics with my phone, in case you didn't get the "picture" from the description above.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nadB; 01-16-2010 at 11:27 PM.

Can only upload 5 pics, so here's some more: Closeup of my steak; BBQ rib; Leftovers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    FINALLY -- Happened to be in the "neighborhood" at about the appropriate time this afternoon, so I bothered to find Antioch and try out Moon's.

FWIW, here's my review:

Gotta admit; def. "ultra casual" and not anything like a "chain" or "theme" place, but it has a certain "ambiance" not often found at the eating places I usually frequent. :icon_wink:

The wife and I went, and we arrived about 4:55 p.m. Had to wait quite a while, and didn't get served until 5:50 p.m. Learned that they don't even start cooking until 5:00 p.m. (or whenever they get around to it), which was fine by us, as we watched the Saints game on t.v. while waiting, and were in no hurry, anyhow.

Hardly anybody in the place when we first got there, but after 5:00 p.m. folks started pouring in. Soon, the place was filled up; more people than seats. Learned that the locals mostly call in their orders ahead of time; some of them eat there, but there were lots and lots of take outs.

Seating is limited. There is one round table that seats four. We sat there with some dude from Eldorado; nice, friendly chap. To our right, there was a rectangular table that seats six; some folks came in just after 5:00 p.m. and filled it up. They had called in their orders in advance, but didn't get served until right before us. Otherwise, folks sit at one of two long tables with benches if space is available.

Very limited menu. Steaks, BBQ Ribs, and Sandwiches. We were in the mood for steaks, so the wife and I both ordered the 1-1/2", medium rare (the steaks are sold by thickness, 1-1/4", 1-1/2", and 2"). Choice of baked potato, potato salad, and beans comes with it. Light bread on the table with all kinds of sauces and such.

Steaks were quite big; wife's was a bit larger than mine. We both took some home in a take out box.

I wanted to try the ribs, so I asked the waitress if I could get just one bbq rib; she said, "Sure, no problem".

Bottom Line:

Steaks were SUPERB. Next time, I'll get the 2" thick so I'll have more to take home for later.

Rating: (on a scale of 0 - 3), including the novelty and fun factor.

Took a few pics with my phone, in case you didn't get the "picture" from the description above.
    Boy, I need a 2" steak RIGHT NOW! Excellent review (and pix, too).
    Thanks.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

I don't doubt that Dowling's ribs are better. But I would suggest you try a full slab before discounting any rib joint.

Living in Memphis has its perks and becoming a rib expert is one of them.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Had a busy weekend and my wife is just now at the grocery store and I am starving for dinner. Not a good time to read these posts!!

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Can only upload 5 pics, so here's some more: Closeup of my steak; BBQ rib; Leftovers.
    I've been wanting to go to Moon's forever. How do you get to it?

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post
    It is going to take a Claiborne Parish boy to lead you there, you just can't get there without one!!!! :icon_wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post
    From Ruston, take I-20 past Arcadia; Go Route 9 N. to Homer; go part way around the square and stay on Route 9 about 8 - 9 miles north of Homer and look on your right. If you go to Summerfield, you've gone too far.

That's best as I remem, anyhow. :icon_wink:

+ Reply to Thread