+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chris Long

Varsity Bulldog sportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of light sportkid's Avatar

Chris Long

Nice article on Chris Long in the News Star today. Someone with better computer knowledge might be able to create a link to it.

SK

Champ Dawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her game Dawg04's Avatar

Re: Chris Long

A LONG look Tech assistant's scouting key

By Scott Beder
    sbeder@thenewsstar.com

http://cmsimg.thenewsstar.com/apps/p...=1006&MaxW=290
    Dan Currier/The News-Star

Lady Techster assistant coach Chris Long talks about the opposing team's tactics during practice Wednesday.

Long file

<LI>Age: 36

<LI>Hometown: Vicksburg, Miss.

<LI>Years at Tech: Six (three as the No. 1 assistant)

<LI>Previous experience: Head coach, Vicksburg Junior High, 1993-97; head coach, Vicksburg High, 1997-99

<LI>Personal: Married to the former Claudia Stalcup. The two have a 6-year-old son, Jack, and 5-year-old daughter, Bailey

Six years ago Leon Barmore walked into the gymnasium at Vicksburg High School to scout a talented young forward named Catrina Frierson.

Barmore liked what he saw and eventually signed Frierson, who enjoyed a terrific five-year career at Louisiana Tech. On that same visit, however, Barmore spotted another talent — Vicksburg coach Chris Long.

"I've always been very high on Chris from the moment I recruited Catrina Frierson," said Barmore, the former Lady Techster coach and member of four halls of fame. "I watched his teams play and I like the way he ran things and ran his practices."

Frierson signed with Tech in November 1998. The following spring Lady Techster assistant Christy Curry — who recruited and signed Frierson — left to become the head coach at Purdue. With an opening on his staff, Barmore knew exactly who he wanted to hire.

"He was my top candidate from the word go," Barmore said. "A lot of people thought we got him to get Frierson, but that wasn't the case."

Barmore and the Lady Techster program have benefited from that decision ever since. Long, now in his sixth season as an assistant coach, is considered one of the top assistant coaches in the country, particularly when it comes to scouting the opposition.

Long's detailed and exhaustive scouting reports are legendary at the offices inside the Thomas Assembly Center and have been a key component in the Techsters' success the last six years.

"I can't imagine anybody in the country being better at breaking down a team than Chris Long," said current Techster coach Kurt Budke, whose team at 16-6 overall, 12-2 and in first place in the Western Athletic Conference. "I've been in this business 20 years and he's the best I've worked with."

The Techster assistant coaches split up the duties of breaking down opponents. But Long does the majority of them, particularly the big games.

"When I look at dividing them up every year, I look at the big games first," Budke said. "He's always going to get the big ones."

The 36-year-old Long is meticulous in his work with a keen eye for details. He spends about 15 hours preparing each scouting report, depending on his familiarity with the opponent and its coach.

"People don't know what he goes through to prepare for a game," senior guard Erica Taylor said. "When Coach Long does a scouting report, you know who's guarding who, whether she's a penetrater or shooter, left- or right-handed. I know the plays before they run them. His scouting makes my job a lot easier because I already know what's ahead."

Coaching has always been in Long's blood. His father, Ted Long, was a basketball coach at Warren Central High School in Vicksburg and as a player he was the point guard at Warren Central and the center fielder on the baseball team — both leadership positions.

"I've been around it all my life," said Long, also a shrewd fantasy baseball manager. "I've had good mentors."

Long's first coaching job came as the head coach at Vicksburg Junior High, where his teams posted a 60-15 mark from 1993-97. Long then was promoted to head coach of the varsity, where his Missy Gators went 46-19 from 1997-99 and appeared in two straight North State Finals.

Even as a high school coach, Long showed a penchant for scouting and preparation, collecting game films and breaking them down.

"I just have a passion for it," said Long, who had an article published this summer in American Basketball Quarterly on the basics of scouting and game planning. "I'm very competitive and I don't like the idea of somebody getting the better of me. I consider it a challenge."

Long's love for scouting and attention to details endeared him to Barmore, a coach whose preparation was second to none.

"I thought scouting throughout my career was very, very important," Barmore said. "John Wooden said he worried about his team more than the opposition. I wasn't that way. I worried about both. I put so much into scouting. Most all of my coaches did a nice job, but Chris ranks right up at the top.

"You might have 25 different things brought to you by Chris, but there may be three that's the key. He's good at figuring out those three to five we can win with. That involves effort and work and time spent, where some coaches might run through halfway and do it. Chris is very much into detail."

Maybe even moreso this season with an inexperienced team lacking the individual talent of previous Lady Techster squads. It has placed an even greater emphasis on scouting and strategy.

"I don't think there's any question that we played so many tight games that the preparation has been a little tighter this year than in the past because that one possession or what you do out of a timeout could change the game," Budke said.

In Saturday's win over SMU, Budke had a lot of praise for Long — who has served as his top assistant the past three years — and his scouting report. SMU coach Rhonda Rompola may run more offensive sets than any other team in the country. Deciphering all of those plays and deciding which ones to focus on were the key, and Long was on the money.

"We have a whole lot of faith in Coach Long," sophomore forward Tamika Kursh said. "He knows everything about every girl on every team we play. We feel real prepared. We just have to remember: If we mess up, it's our fault."

Long may not be as well known as other former Techster assistants that have gone on to be head coaches like Curry, Nell Fortner, Kim Mulkey-Robertson and Gary Blair, but it is just a matter of time before Long gets an opportunity.

He has interviewed for a handful of jobs in previous offseasons, getting an offer from New Mexico State two years ago, but turning it down.

"There is no question there is a Division I-A job out there for Chris," Budke said. "We'll be lucky to hold on to him. Louisiana Tech and the Lady Techsters are lucky to have him."

Barmore agreed.

"He is very worthy of a job at a Division I school and I hope it happens for him," Barmore said. "I've got to tell you, this kid can recruit. He can do all the X's and O's. Saying he's just good at scouting would do him an injustice. That's just part of what he does well."

BREAKOUT

A LONG LOOK

Hometown: Vicksburg, Miss.

Years at Tech: Six (three as the No. 1 assistant)

Previous experience: Head coach, Vicksburg Junior High, 1993-97; head coach, Vicksburg High, 1997-99.

Personal: Married to the former Claudia Stalcup. The two have a 6-year-old son Jack, and 5-year-old daughter Bailey.

Originally published February 24, 2005

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Glad we still ahve him at TECH!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS
    Glad we still ahve him at TECH!
    This is the type of guy that we sure need to try to keep.

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

chris is a good guy and he really cares about the program and his athletes on and of the court...we need to have more people like him in athletics.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

And....that's coaching!

+ Reply to Thread