+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last days of the Sunbelt??

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Last days of the Sunbelt??

I was reading about how the Sunbelt only has six teams that actuall qualify for 1A football next year and if FIU and FAU doesn't get into gear attendence wise they may be two short of a full conference for a good while. Is this the death knell for the Sunbelt?

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Re: Last days of the Sunbelt??

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG
    Is this the death knell for the Sunbelt?
    No, I don't think so. The NCAA hasn't shown they are serious about the attendance thing and, even if they were, there are too many ways around it. (i.e. ULM playing a home game in Little Rock)
    Go Tech!

Varsity Bulldog bustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

I was reading about how the Sunbelt only has six teams that actuall qualify for 1A football next year and if FIU and FAU doesn't get into gear attendence wise they may be two short of a full conference for a good while. Is this the death knell for the Sunbelt?
    LOL!!! you can only hope!!!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I hope the Belt survives. It's a safety net for our failing athletic department. If the Belt is not there, we'll fall all the way into the Southland! Ugh!

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problems with the Sunbelt. I have problems with certain teams inside the Sunbelt: NLULM and UNO,UALR,Denver....

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Alright, now! Dont be dissin the Trojans!

That's soon gonna be my "alternate" alma mater.

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar

Champ, you're working with a good friend of mine now...She just started last week...You be nice to her

Big Grin Re: Last days of the Sunbelt??

I have a problem with schools in a football conference that doesn't have football. I don't really have a problem with them, its just I feel that they should be in a Conference that would be more focused on Basketball. Sorry for the insult. No hard feelings.

Varsity Bulldog former_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really nice

I have a problem with schools in a football conference that doesn't have football. I don't really have a problem with them, its just I feel that they should be in a Conference that would be more focused on Basketball. Sorry for the insult. No hard feelings.
    The sunbelt is a basketball conference that was hi jacked into a football conference. There are some good basketball programs in the belt ull, ualr, wku, denver to name a few. UALR would have beaten La Tech this year had they played and Steve Shield would have won a game or two in the ncaa with the talent tech had this year.

What kills the belt is adding sh!tty football schools with even worse bb program. The funny thing is the new schools are better in football than the current members. So Troy, FIU, FAM and the like will just move through. While ulm, ull, a state, middle tenn just keep playing in the belt and whoring their football teams out.

They hate on tech pretty hard on the sunbelt board but you could name the bcs teams the belt has wins against on one hand. Tech beats a bcs team just about every year.

Sadly, with all the schools in the belt thinking about how to leave the belt the a.d.'s never fix anything that is wrong with the belt.

ualr, uno, usa will always be in the belt even if some football schools were to leave.

ualr lives at the mersey of the 1aa football programs that believe they are 1a football programs.

Anyway, if you live in Little Rock ualr is on the raise with a new arena and a coaching staff that can coach. Come check them out.

Duely Noted! If I am ever in town I will give you a call. I also believe that if Tech ever told of Commish Waters that they wanted in, he would jump through his shorts to get it done.

Big Dog DeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud of DeepGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by former_d1
    The sunbelt is a basketball conference that was hi jacked into a football conference. There are some good basketball programs in the belt ull, ualr, wku, denver to name a few. UALR would have beaten La Tech this year had they played and Steve Shield would have won a game or two in the ncaa with the talent tech had this year.

What kills the belt is adding sh!tty football schools with even worse bb program. The funny thing is the new schools are better in football than the current members. So Troy, FIU, FAM and the like will just move through. While ulm, ull, a state, middle tenn just keep playing in the belt and whoring their football teams out.

They hate on tech pretty hard on the sunbelt board but you could name the bcs teams the belt has wins against on one hand. Tech beats a bcs team just about every year.

Sadly, with all the schools in the belt thinking about how to leave the belt the a.d.'s never fix anything that is wrong with the belt.

ualr, uno, usa will always be in the belt even if some football schools were to leave.

ualr lives at the mersey of the 1aa football programs that believe they are 1a football programs.

Anyway, if you live in Little Rock ualr is on the raise with a new arena and a coaching staff that can coach. Come check them out.
    Former D1, you need to understand a little more about a "complete" athletic conference before you diss the Sun Belt. I think having 1A football helps the conference in many ways. Read this thread. It says it better than I can.
    http://www.tribalgrounds.com/index.p...iew&ANN_id=399

Sun belt football is only five years old.
    Are we a competitive 1A conference yet? No
    Can we be competitive? Yes
    Do we have a long way to go? Definitely yes.

If UALR wants to be in a basketball only conference, go for it. Join the Missouri Valley, or something similar.
    Will it take time? Yes If you think Troy, FIU, and FAU are suddenly going to pull up and leave the conference for something better, think again. Where would they go? If you believe WKU is going to leave the 'Belt for the MAC, it won't be any time soon. Personally, I don't think the MAC will go after anyone unless they have 1A football. Let's see, trade UCF and Marshall for WKU? Ha!

Most SBC members are upgrading facilities as we speak and will continue to do so.

The only moves by SBC members to other conferences would be for maybe one school, either North Texas or UL-Laf, to move to CUSA if invited. Otherwise, the Sun Belt will have the same members for several years. That is, unless Louisiana Tech comes on board someday .

Big Dog DarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really nice

Green, we are well on the way...hang on...

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Deep:

You can take this anyway you like, but if Tech "comes on board someday" it will be because we have FAILED. Just like if UNT or ULL or still in the Belt 5 yrs from now, it is because y'all have failed. Failed? Yes, failed to move up, out of the DI cellar.

I'm not saying the Belt can't/won't get better. It just about has to, when you think about it. Could get it worse than the worst? But the Belt is NOT a conference schools should aspire to.

Varsity Bulldog bustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebustle Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80
    Deep:

You can take this anyway you like, but if Tech "comes on board someday" it will be because we have FAILED. Just like if UNT or ULL or still in the Belt 5 yrs from now, it is because y'all have failed. Failed? Yes, failed to move up, out of the DI cellar.

I'm not saying the Belt can't/won't get better. It just about has to, when you think about it. Could get it worse than the worst? But the Belt is NOT a conference schools should aspire to.
    I could've sworn the MAC was rated lower than the Sunbelt last year...

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Danggit ... I have to grudgingly agree with bustle.

MAC slipped below SBC as the bottom D1A conference last year. Whether that will become a long-term trend we will have to wait and see. I think SBC has to outperform the MAC for at least 3 consecutive seasons to overcome the stigma. jmho.

+ Reply to Thread