+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Done Deal

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Done Deal

Budke is the new coach for Oklahoma State. Leading candidates for replacement are Barmore and Chris Long. Hmmmmm

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Done Deal

The article is in the Newstar this morning. For some reason, I can't paste it here. There is no mention of any former Techsters.

Barmore would certainly be comforting, but does he have the energy to do this again?

No matter which one gets the job, I would hope that they are able to bring someone like Spoon in to recruit.

Report: Budke exits
    Techsters coach will accept Okla. State job

By Scott Beder
    sbeder@thenewsstar.com

Louisiana Tech coach Kurt Budke will become the next coach at Oklahoma State.

According to a story published in today's Daily Oklahoman citing sources close to the program, Budke will leave Tech to replace Julie Goodenough, who was forced to resign after three seasons.

Budke will leave Tech after five years, including the last three as the head coach. A news conference to announce Budke's hiring will be held on Monday or Tuesday in Stillwater, Okla.

On Saturday evening, Tech athletics director Jim Oakes said Budke had not told him he was leaving for Oklahoma State, but he was prepared to act if he left.

"If Coach Budke accepts the job, we're certainly prepared to move forward immediately with a search for his successor," Oakes said.

According to the Daily Oklahoman, Budke has already begun to assemble his staff. Budke is expected to hire Seward Community College head coach Jim Littell. It is also expected that Budke, who could not be reached for comment, will take Techster assistant Miranda Serna as well. Serna played for Budke at Trinity Valley Community College and spent one season on his staff at Tech after replacing Christie Sides, who took an assistant's job at LSU.

In three seasons as the successor to hall of fame coach Leon Barmore, Budke fashioned an 80-16 record and appeared in three NCA Tournaments.

Budke's teams won two regular-season Western Athletic Conference titles and shared a third. They also won two WAC Tournament titles.

Budke's first two teams reached the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Tournament, but lost in the first round this past season in a 66-61 loss to Temple.

Tech's short list of replacements for Budke would include Barmore and current assistant Chris Long.

Barmore has been retired for the past three years, but he was lured out of retirement once before when former player and long-time assistant Kim Mulkey-Robertson left for Baylor rather than take over for Barmore.

Barmore coached for two seasons with Budke as his understudy before stepping aside.

With the Techster program coming off one of its worst seasons, finishing 20-10 and receiving its lowest seed in the NCAA Tournament ever at No. 11, Barmore could be lured back to the sidelines for the right compensation.

However, the rigorous travel in the WAC is a major deterrent.

Long is also a strong candidate. Long was hired by Barmore in 1999 after serving as head girls' coach at Vicksburg High School.

Long, considered one of the top game planners in college basketball, was an assistant to Barmore for three seasons before serving as Budke's top man the last three.

Originally published March 27, 2005

Big Dog ACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to all

Budke's possible hiring of Jim Littrel of Seward County Community College probably means that Seward's two star post players: Whitney Pegram 6'4 and Amanda Foster 6'2 will probably follow coach Littrel to Oklahoma State.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ACSlatech1994
    Budke's possible hiring of Jim Littrel of Seward County Community College probably means that Seward's two star post players: Whitney Pegram 6'4 and Amanda Foster 6'2 will probably follow coach Littrel to Oklahoma State.
    You can count on that. It's a package deal.

As for replacing Budke, the most disturbing thing is it's in the hands of Oakes and Reneau, aka Dumb and Dumber. So.....they'll most likely blow it.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be a mistake to bring barmore back. He was obviously burned out the last couple of years he coached. I can remember him sitting on the bench doing nothing while Jackson and Lennox shot us out of games. That's not the barmore I know.

Quote Originally Posted by glm47
    I think it would be a mistake to bring barmore back. He was obviously burned out the last couple of years he coached. I can remember him sitting on the bench doing nothing while Jackson and Lennox shot us out of games. That's not the barmore I know.
    My hope is that he had some time to relax and get ready to coach again.

Chris Long - Assistant Coach WBB

clong@latech.edu

Heading into his sixth season as an assistant coach with the Louisiana Tech Lady Techster program, Chris Long has made a name for himself in the women’s basketball coaching circle nationwide as one of the top assistant coaches in the country.

And although second in rank to head coach Kurt Budke, Long is the senior member tenure-wise of the coaching staff as he enters his sixth year with the Ruston, La., based program.

During his first five years, Long made quite an impact at Louisiana Tech, proving to be a valuable asset to the Lady Techster program. Having already been courted for several Division I head coaching jobs around the country, the Vicksburg, Miss., native has shown his loyalty and will continue to be one of Budke's biggest assets.

“Chris Long is one of the top assistant coaches in this country,” Budke said. “I honestly believe that there is no one better in scouting an opponent. His attention to every detail is incredible. When we play an opponent that Chris has scouted, we know every tendency of that team and each individual player. He has also done a terrific job helping us recruit the state of Mississippi.”

As the No. 1 assistant, Long's responsibilities include working with the Lady Techster post players, serving as the offensive coordinator along with Budke, serving as the head of junior college recruiting as well as working with high school recruits, scouting, scheduling and serving as the academic coordinator for the Techster players.

Without a doubt one of Long's best attributes includes his uncanny ability to dissect opponents' tendencies, strengths and weaknesses with his incredible scouting reports. During his time at Tech, Long's scouting reports have helped the Lady Techsters defeat the likes of Purdue, Texas Tech (twice), Old Dominion, Mississippi State (twice), Illinois, Ohio State, TCU and Western Kentucky just to name a few.

During his five years at Tech, six of the Lady Techter post players that Long has worked with have been selected in the WNBA Draft, including 2003 WNBA Rookie of the Year Cheryl Ford. Long was instrumental in the development of all of these players, including both Ford and Amisha Carter (2004 2nd round New York Liberty), both of who were named Western Athletic Conference Players of the Year.

Both Ford and Carter averaged double doubles during their senior campaigns and were ranked in the Top 15 in the country in rebounding.

In addition to Carter and Ford, Long worked closely with Trina Frierson (2004 second round Seattle Storm) who was a 2003-04 Naismith Player of the Year finalists, and Ayana Walker (2002 second round Detroit Shock), who was a 2001-02 Kodak All-District selection.

Long took a one year hiatus from the Tech post players to coach the Lady Techster guards in 2001-02, a group which included Brooke Lassiter, who ended her career as the NCAA's all-time leader in free throw percentage, Amber Obaze, who was named 2nd team All-Western Athletic Conference and to the league's all-defensive squad. That year Tech led the WAC in assist to turnover ratio.

In his five years at Tech, the Lady Techsters have recorded a mark of 147-19 while winning five straight conference regular season titles (2000, 2001 Sun Belt, 2002, 2003, 2004 Western Athletic) and five straight league tournament titles.

Long has been instrumental in the Techsters post-season success helping Tech to five NCAA Tournaments, including four Sweet 16 appearances and a pair of Elite Eight stops.

Prior to his arrival at Tech in 1999-2000, Long already knew plenty about the Louisiana Tech women's basketball program, having grown up relatively close in Vicksburg, Miss.

The 36-year-old came to Tech in 1999 after serving as head coach at Vicksburg High School for two seasons where he led the Missy Gators to two straight North State Finals and a 46-19 record. While at Vicksburg, Long coached current Lady Techster forward Trina Frierson, who earned all-state honors.

Long earned his undergraduate degree in advertising from the University of Southern Mississippi in 1991 and later received his masters in school administration at Alcorn State in 1997.

Prior to his high school coaching days, he got his start at Vicksburg Junior High School where he coached from 1993-97 and led his teams to a 60-15 mark.
    Long is married to the former Claudia Stalcup of Brandon, Miss., and the two have a six-year-old son named Jack and a five-year-old daughter named Bailey.

Personal Data: Age 36, Born June 7, 1968. Chris, a native of Vicksburg, Miss., is married to the former Claudia Stalcup from Brandon, Miss. The two have a six-year-old son named Jack and a five-year-old daughter named Bailey.

Coaching Experience: Enters his sixth season with the Lady Techsters. Has helped Tech register a 147-19 record during his five years as an assistant coach. Coached at Vicksburg High School from 1997-99 with a record of 46-19 and two North State Finalist finishes. Coached Vicksburg Junior High to a 60-15 mark from 1993-97.

Playing Experience: Played point guard for three years on the basketball team at Warren Central High School in Vicksburg, Miss. He also played centerfield for the baseball team garnering all-county honors twice before graduating in 1986.

I don't know, guys..........

I hope, if he gets the job, he can bring the Techsters back.........

It is all very scary right now.

Big Dog #1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears #1techfan's Avatar

I agree this is a very scary time for hte Lady Techsters. I would love to see Coach Barmore come back and coach us back to the top and fix what Budke messed up while he was here. We need a HC that can do that and if Barmore doens't feel up to it then I don't see why we should beg him out of retirement. I mean he is not going to be around forever and what are we going to do later on down the road if we fall into this position again. We can't just keep hiring him back every 5 years. I think that Coach Long would do a great job as the HC and I would love to see him bring in someone like TSpoon to do our recruiting. I think that the two of them together would do a wonderful job for this program. TSpoon would get some great recruits to come and play for us at Tech and Coach Long is a wonderful coach and he would do a great job with the girls. I would really like to see those two as HC and 1st assitant, maybe we can even get TSpoon into the HC position later on down the road. Just a quick question: How are the recruits for the upcoming season looking? Arer we actually going to get some girls that can PLAY?

Big Dog #1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears#1techfan seems to have something between the ears #1techfan's Avatar

That's true we don't have a big bodieed center to play for us. Margret was a big disappointment this year and I just hope that we can get a big center to come play for us b/c that is what we need in today's game. Budke was too worried aobut recruiting good guards and he did that but we need a big center to come out and play for us, and she needs to come out of High School b/c I am tired of seeing nothing but players from Jr. College.

I agree that we need some HS talent. At this point, though, we need someone that can jump right in the post. I think getting a JUCO player in the post spot this year is fine, but bring in a HS player at the latest next year.

Bulldog Tech96 is an unknown Tech96's Avatar

I think Oakes may go the easy route and promote Long. I think the program needs a former player though.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

As much as I love and respect Leon, I do not think he is the right choice now. We need someone who is here for the long term. I think that with Leon, he would be gone again in 3-4 years. We need someone to build the program and plan on staying awhile, or least till some big school doubles or triples their salary. As much as I want a former Techster (or someone with ties to Tech) to take over, I hope that the admin does not confine themselves to that route only. Take a look at everyone and get the best possible person who will come, regardless of whether they have any association with Tech or not. That maybe a former Techster or it may be pulling someone off the staff at Tenn, Texas, UConn, or Sisters of the Poor U. Just get the best!! Oh yeah, and make it quick! Recruiting is more crucial this year than ever...

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Has any of Budke's JC recruits been that spectacular anyway? I'm not too worried about losing those big girls. There's a reason in the women's game that they went to JC anyway. Sorta like football and mbb years ago. They just don't have the talent of real D1 yet.

+ Reply to Thread