+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Long To Be Named Techster Head Coach

Champ soccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nice soccer_dawg9's Avatar

Basketball Long To Be Named Techster Head Coach

Louisiana Tech President Dr. Dan Reneau will formally introduce Chris Long as the fourth head coach in Lady Techster history during a 2 p.m. press conference today (Friday, April 8) in the Hall of Fame Room of the Thomas Assembly Center.

More to follow today.

http://www.latechsports.com/article....04_08_08:37:19

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

Re: Long To Be Named Techster Head Coach

is he really gonna bring in west monroes coach as an assistant? while he is at it, he should get simsboros coach as well. then we can have an advantage in recruiting both whitney jones and cheryl patterson.

hopefully, he will bring brooke back: (and her husband?)

http://www.ualr.edu/athletics/wbb/coaches.html

Champ soccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nice soccer_dawg9's Avatar

Basketball Re: Long To Be Named Techster Head Coach

Chris Long

Heading into his sixth season as an assistant coach with the Louisiana Tech Lady Techster program, Chris Long has made a name for himself in the women’s basketball coaching circle nationwide as one of the top assistant coaches in the country.

And although second in rank to head coach Kurt Budke, Long is the senior member tenure-wise of the coaching staff as he enters his sixth year with the Ruston, La., based program.

During his first five years, Long made quite an impact at Louisiana Tech, proving to be a valuable asset to the Lady Techster program. Having already been courted for several Division I head coaching jobs around the country, the Vicksburg, Miss., native has shown his loyalty and will continue to be one of Budke's biggest assets.

“Chris Long is one of the top assistant coaches in this country,” Budke said. “I honestly believe that there is no one better in scouting an opponent. His attention to every detail is incredible. When we play an opponent that Chris has scouted, we know every tendency of that team and each individual player. He has also done a terrific job helping us recruit the state of Mississippi.”

As the No. 1 assistant, Long's responsibilities include working with the Lady Techster post players, serving as the offensive coordinator along with Budke, serving as the head of junior college recruiting as well as working with high school recruits, scouting, scheduling and serving as the academic coordinator for the Techster players.

Without a doubt one of Long's best attributes includes his uncanny ability to dissect opponents' tendencies, strengths and weaknesses with his incredible scouting reports. During his time at Tech, Long's scouting reports have helped the Lady Techsters defeat the likes of Purdue, Texas Tech (twice), Old Dominion, Mississippi State (twice), Illinois, Ohio State, TCU and Western Kentucky just to name a few.

During his five years at Tech, six of the Lady Techter post players that Long has worked with have been selected in the WNBA Draft, including 2003 WNBA Rookie of the Year Cheryl Ford. Long was instrumental in the development of all of these players, including both Ford and Amisha Carter (2004 2nd round New York Liberty), both of who were named Western Athletic Conference Players of the Year.

Both Ford and Carter averaged double doubles during their senior campaigns and were ranked in the Top 15 in the country in rebounding.

In addition to Carter and Ford, Long worked closely with Trina Frierson (2004 second round Seattle Storm) who was a 2003-04 Naismith Player of the Year finalists, and Ayana Walker (2002 second round Detroit Shock), who was a 2001-02 Kodak All-District selection.

Long took a one year hiatus from the Tech post players to coach the Lady Techster guards in 2001-02, a group which included Brooke Lassiter, who ended her career as the NCAA's all-time leader in free throw percentage, Amber Obaze, who was named 2nd team All-Western Athletic Conference and to the league's all-defensive squad. That year Tech led the WAC in assist to turnover ratio.

In his five years at Tech, the Lady Techsters have recorded a mark of 147-19 while winning five straight conference regular season titles (2000, 2001 Sun Belt, 2002, 2003, 2004 Western Athletic) and five straight league tournament titles.

Long has been instrumental in the Techsters post-season success helping Tech to five NCAA Tournaments, including four Sweet 16 appearances and a pair of Elite Eight stops.

Prior to his arrival at Tech in 1999-2000, Long already knew plenty about the Louisiana Tech women's basketball program, having grown up relatively close in Vicksburg, Miss.

The 36-year-old came to Tech in 1999 after serving as head coach at Vicksburg High School for two seasons where he led the Missy Gators to two straight North State Finals and a 46-19 record. While at Vicksburg, Long coached current Lady Techster forward Trina Frierson, who earned all-state honors.

Long earned his undergraduate degree in advertising from the University of Southern Mississippi in 1991 and later received his masters in school administration at Alcorn State in 1997.

Prior to his high school coaching days, he got his start at Vicksburg Junior High School where he coached from 1993-97 and led his teams to a 60-15 mark.
    Long is married to the former Claudia Stalcup of Brandon, Miss., and the two have a six-year-old son named Jack and a five-year-old daughter named Bailey.

Personal Data: Age 36, Born June 7, 1968. Chris, a native of Vicksburg, Miss., is married to the former Claudia Stalcup from Brandon, Miss. The two have a six-year-old son named Jack and a five-year-old daughter named Bailey.

Coaching Experience: Enters his sixth season with the Lady Techsters. Has helped Tech register a 147-19 record during his five years as an assistant coach. Coached at Vicksburg High School from 1997-99 with a record of 46-19 and two North State Finalist finishes. Coached Vicksburg Junior High to a 60-15 mark from 1993-97.

Playing Experience: Played point guard for three years on the basketball team at Warren Central High School in Vicksburg, Miss. He also played centerfield for the baseball team garnering all-county honors twice before graduating in 1986.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I don't understand why all you Techster faithful are disappointed in this guy. Heck, it looks like every position he's coached has put out top players. Look at his post player coaching. Isn't that what we've been hurting on since he quit coaching them?

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

I'm not disappointed, I just hope he can bring in a great assistant to do the recruiting. We are way behind on overall talent. Hope the assistant is a former big name Lady Techster he can groom to take his place when he leaves for greener pastures

Varsity Bulldog Gunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her game Gunslinger's Avatar

We absolutely need to bring back Brooke (Lassiter) Stoehr. He was a tremendous leader, a great Christian, and very bright. I knew her well when I was at Tech...and I can tell you, there are no better representatives of Louisiana Tech that Brooke and Ashley Antony IMHO.

Big Dog NTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to behold NTXDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver-Dog
    I'm not disappointed, I just hope he can bring in a great assistant to do the recruiting. We are way behind on overall talent. Hope the assistant is a former big name Lady Techster he can groom to take his place when he leaves for greener pastures
    Exacltly, RECRUITING, RECRUITING, RECRUITING.

If you can't recruit, you can't win, period. I just don't know if he will be able to recruit.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NTXDawg
    Exacltly, RECRUITING, RECRUITING, RECRUITING.

If you can't recruit, you can't win, period. I just don't know if he will be able to recruit.
    I have to call BS on that one. Too many coaches have taken no name schools with less than stellar recruits a long way because of their coaching abilities. Look at where Gonzaga is now. Do you think that when they made their first run that they had the top recruits? Nope. They had a great coach. I'd be willing to bet that they still don't get the "top" recruits, but they do well enough to keep their school afloat financially because they win and win often with great coaching.

Varsity Bulldog MADDAWGNBAMA has turned a few heads around hereMADDAWGNBAMA has turned a few heads around hereMADDAWGNBAMA has turned a few heads around hereMADDAWGNBAMA has turned a few heads around hereMADDAWGNBAMA has turned a few heads around here

What are the contract terms? 4 or 5 years? hehehe
    ________
    ONE VAPORIZER
    Last edited by MADDAWGNBAMA; 02-16-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

4.5 they split the difference lol

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    I have to call BS on that one. Too many coaches have taken no name schools with less than stellar recruits a long way because of their coaching abilities. Look at where Gonzaga is now. Do you think that when they made their first run that they had the top recruits? Nope. They had a great coach. I'd be willing to bet that they still don't get the "top" recruits, but they do well enough to keep their school afloat financially because they win and win often with great coaching.
    I tend to agree dirty. Our name is still a valuable recruiting tool. We've not fallen so far that a serious player doesn't know who we are. I say we get behind him as coach and pray for the best. I think Dwayne is right, he's a step up from our last coach and hopefully we got him on the cheap. I'm not disappointed in Long at all. I am very disappointed however in our Admn. If we all get honest with ourselves, we probably figured they were gonna do exactly what they did. It pisses me off that they came out and said different (don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining). I hope coach Long can really cultivate Decimen(sp.) and maybe we'll bring in somebody like Brooke to really help with recruiting. I think things are looking up.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

+ Reply to Thread