+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KMR on WWL - 4/9/05

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

KMR on WWL - 4/9/05

Kim was on WWL radio’s Saturday morning show with Karre Johnson and former Saints player and color analyst Hokie Gajan, a show and a station that has a fairly big audience in New Orleans and along the gulf coast.

She came on at 10:40 and answered questions for about 10 minutes. Both Johnson and Gajan said they were both about 40 – her age – and both had crushes on – 25 years ago and even today – with Johnson talking about how much he loved the pigtails. She said the crushes were fine because “that’s keeps my husband Randy on his toes.”

It was very playful until the final question, which was “…why aren’t you the coach at Louisiana Tech?”

Her answer went on for about 10 minutes, and she said some things that I had never heard said publicly about the final meeting with Reneau, which she went into in depth. She was very emotional.

She stressed over and over again that no matter what anyone heard or what was written, having the guarantee of a fifth year as the head coach was all she needed. She said that she didn’t even need anything in writing, only Reneau’s word that she would have a fifth year as head coach.

Over and over again she said Reneau told her he would find a place for her within the university if it came to that. She said that she is an extremely prideful person, and given everything she had given the university and the job offers she had turned down to stay at Tech, she couldn’t accept that.

She also said that it had nothing to do with any fight she might have had with Leon, who she said she loves to this day. She said they had a father-daughter relationship that included “19 years of fights”. It was just part of their relationship. She also respected the fact Leon disagreed with Reneau but had never made some of the things Reneau said and did public. “He’s never spilled the beans” she said.

She was very high on everyone at Tech, including F.J. Taylor and Chris Long, who she said would do a great job. She also wanted to make it clear she still loves Tech and has always loved Tech. Her disagreement was with one person, not the school. She mentioned Reneau by name at least 10 times in the interview.

Johnson ended the interview by asking “did Tech contact you during this recent search for a head coach?” Her answer was “no, indeed. Do you think they would have contacted me with ‘that man’ still there.” That basically ended the interview.

After the 11 a.m. break for news, Johnson and Gajan talked about the interview until 11:15. Johnson said it was one of the best interviews he had ever conducted, because she truly pulled no punches; she didn’t hold anything back.

They both said that Tech had a good reputation for athletics and academics, but it had “dropped the ball” by not hiring her. They also bashed Reneau – over and over again. They said they really didn’t know anything about him, but if he had really done what she said he did he deserves the criticism.

Johnson went on to say that given what was said in the interview he really believed that if Tech has an opening for a head coach in the coming years, she would be a candidate. He said that he didn’t know Reneau’s age but that “he can’t be there forever.” He then said “watch, she’s 42, and she’ll be the head coach at Tech before she’s 50 years old.”

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Re: KMR on WWL - 4/9/05

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian
    He then said “watch, she’s 42, and she’ll be the head coach at Tech before she’s 50 years old.”
    Great post! If I were a BU fan that would be my biggest fear as long as she is there. However, I seriously doubt that she will ever be the HC at Tech. Not as long as she is winning at BU. But you never know...

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

It would be great if DR was tied down and forced to listen to that interview. But the sad thing is that he is probably not overly concerned with Tech's slide in the world of athletics. It is truly time for him to go.

Big Dog bjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her game bjude64's Avatar

I tend to believe that she will be the head coach of Louisiana Tech sometime in the future. When that will be, I do not know, but I do see her as a future coach of the Lady Techsters.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian
    She said that she is an extremely prideful person, ...
    Didn't a wise person once say that pride always come before the fall. Sounds like both the people involved have too much of it.

Puppy VandalDawg is an unknown

As influential as Dr. Reneau is, I still believe that outside sources, such as Davison, et.al. could inlfuence his decisions. I wonder what opinions those influential (read money) sources have of Dr. Reneau and some of his moves involving the athletic department?

Puppy BearBacker is on the way down

I found out while at the games this week, from a VERY reliable source, that the contract extension pays her in the same league as Marsha Sharp from Texas Tech and Jody Conradt from Texas. Unless LT comes up with the money to compete with those salaries I don't see her leaving Baylor for La Tech, even if she is an alumni and gave many years to the program.

She also said that's she's very happy in Waco and that when she took the job at Baylor she didnt' want to be one of those coaches that moved around alot because of her family. I look for her to be at Baylor for a long while and she's working on raising money for a good practice facility now. Unless a major program comes calling with big $$ I see her at Baylor for a while, and I also look for Baylor to come up with the money to keep her there.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I figure she will stay at Baylor too. Best of luck to her. She represents Tech well there.

We have our own great coach now.

So, see ya around Baylor Bear. Good luck next year!

Big Dog bjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her gamebjude64 is on top of his/her game bjude64's Avatar

Yeah, but money isn't all of it. Kim has a love for her ama mater that a lot of coaches don't have. She's already won there and she's already got loads of money. I don't see this benig a money issue when all is said and done.

*alma

The above being said, if Kim is the coach one day, great. But she's not now, so I won't concern myself with that. Coach Long is who we have and I support him to lead us back to the top.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

kim has said she doesn't want to leave waco because of her family. makenzie is 13 and kramer is 12. kim is 42. when she is 50, makenzie will be 21 and kramer 20 ... grown and out of the house.

i do believe that, unless chris long does an outstanding job (which i hope he does), sometime in the next 10-15 years kim mulkey will be the techsters' head coach.

theprofessor

I agree. I hope coach Long does an awesome job. If for some reason she were to come back, it wouldnt be like them "moving around the country"; the family used to live here. However, I am planning on Chris Long doing an amazing job; we might not need her.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Yes, we have to appreciate who we have and support him. Kim's interview was sweet and honest, apparently.

Let's hope we don't need her soon. She has Baylor right where she wants it! And she may stay a long time.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

From this interview, it sounds like there probably was some sort of limitation about offering an official five year contract, but all Reneau had to do was give his word that he'd give her one more year and she'd take it? Puts the weight rather heavily on DR, sounds like.

I wonder if it'd been different if they had offered her 4 years right off the bat. I wonder if the 3 year contract came across as such an insult, it made her hardnosed about the one year?

Oh well, just another incident of poor leadership from the top at Tech. I really don't see KMR coming back to Tech. I'm not sure it'd be good for her or for Tech. I'd much rather Long was highly successful and just decided to be the next Leon Barmore.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I am NOT covering for DR. When it comes to athletics in general, he sux. But, the fact remains, KMR was offered a contract to be the HEAD COACH of the Lady Techsters! Looking at it now, with Budke here and gone and now Long the next head coach, it doesn't appear to be that big of a deal. But, at the time, KMR was about to succeed a living legend: Barmore. I bet, at that time, there were literally hundreds of college and high school coaches who would have given their left arms to be in the exact same spot that KMR was in.

Now, next point, and this one is personal. I love Tech. If given a chance to coach any sport at Tech, I wouldn't quivel over the terms, just as long as I could earn a living doing it. At $130K, in Ruston, that was not an issue for KMR and her family. Either you love your alma mater, and are willing to do something to help that your talents allow, or you do not. For KMR to get all emotional now and say how much she loves Tech...well, I'm sorry, actions speak (spoke) louder than those words.

Barmore is a true hero, in terms of athletics I mean (keep it all in proper perspective), he also turned down numerous offers for more money to stay at Tech. KMR would have gotten her initial contract, 3 or 4 years, done a great job, and today be in the middle of some extented contract, rendering the disagreement moot and pointless.

But, KMR, chose a different path, forced Barmore to come out of retirement for the sake of the program, and that is her legacy at Louisiana Tech.

Ya know, Benedict Arnold won a huge battle for the American side, before he became a traitor. Today, his name is synonmous with being a traitor. Sorry, Kim dear, you did it to yourself...and in the process, damaged the Techster program. Go wherever you want....but don't come back to Tech.

+ Reply to Thread