+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Iraqi Protestors

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Re: Iraqi Protestors

Quote Originally Posted by sik-m-boi
    no, if there is but one absolute than the only statements that could be construed as false are those which claim to establish a new absolute. but the situation of "farting in church" being wrong could only be false if it was said to be always wrong or always right. secondly i believe that an absolute can have only one side...it is either black or white...by definition an absolute can lean only one way, and an absolute is always true...that is why it is absolute. that being said, to say that in practice the concept of having a single absolute which eliminates all others is flawed... i would say to you that it is not flawed in practice, it is impossible to practice. how can you practice something, that by believing in it, forces you to admit that a universal consistancy is nonexistant. so if it is impossible to practice something with no parameters to guide it then the practice cannot be flawed because it cannot exist.
    My head is spinning:rolleyes4

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

how can you practice something, that by believing in it, forces you to admit that a universal consistancy is nonexistant. so if it is impossible to practice something with no parameters to guide it then the practice cannot be flawed because it cannot exist.

This was my response to reading this quote. I feel like I'm taking the verbal section of some stupid test. Either way, my point is that post-modernism is a total crock and can only be practiced in a vacuum. That being said, I agree with your above statement.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin

This was my response to reading this quote. I feel like I'm taking the verbal section of some stupid test. Either way, my point is that post-modernism is a total crock and can only be practiced in a vacuum. That being said, I agree with your above statement.
    did i get carried away? sorry. just trying to have a little fun.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

did i get carried away? sorry. just trying to have a little fun.
    It actually reminded me of a late night on the BCM porch when we were trying to show the Bufkins which way was up.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

no, if there is but one absolute than the only statements that could be construed as false are those which claim to establish a new absolute. but the situation of "farting in church" being wrong could only be false if it was said to be always wrong or always right. secondly i believe that an absolute can have only one side...it is either black or white...by definition an absolute can lean only one way, and an absolute is always true...that is why it is absolute. that being said, to say that in practice the concept of having a single absolute which eliminates all others is flawed... i would say to you that it is not flawed in practice, it is impossible to practice. how can you practice something, that by believing in it, forces you to admit that a universal consistancy is nonexistant. so if it is impossible to practice something with no parameters to guide it then the practice cannot be flawed because it cannot exist.
    ABSOLUTELY!

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

No dont stop! This is the best thread ever! Flex those Tech intellects!

(Course this stuff is pretty abstract, so I wouldnt expect many of the engineers to understand.)

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967

(Course this stuff is pretty abstract, so I wouldnt expect many of the engineers to understand.)
    powers of abstraction are critical for successful engineering.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Big Grin Re: Iraqi Protestors

I know ... my grandad was an engineer. He loved this kinda stuff.

just yanking yer chain ... relax

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967

need a new topic, champ. nobody's arguing with me anymore on this one.

need a new topic, champ. nobody's arguing with me anymore on this one.
    I know you are but what am I?

Talk amongst yourselves...I'll give you a topic...the peanut is neither a pea nor a nut...discuss.

I know you are but what am I?

Talk amongst yourselves...I'll give you a topic...the peanut is neither a pea nor a nut...discuss.
    i'm rubber you're glue...wait...let us not put a scar on the face of such a wonderful debate by resorting to these juvenile proddings.

i'm rubber you're glue...wait...let us not put a scar on the face of such a wonderful debate by resorting to these juvenile proddings.
    The peanut thing, though borrowed from Mike Myers, is brilliant...okay, I see your point. Predestination anyone?

...Predestination anyone?
    no, thats too dangerous. it's a good way to lose friends...not to mention it might cause a bb&b schism...and nobody wants that.

no, thats too dangerous. it's a good way to lose friends...not to mention it might cause a bb&b schism...and nobody wants that.

I've never lost a friend over and I don't know what schism means, but if you say so. Isn't there a religion section on the board...nope! Alright, I'll stick to sports and politics.

I've never lost a friend over and I don't know what schism means, but if you say so. Isn't there a religion section on the board...nope! Alright, I'll stick to sports and politics.
    schism (skzm, sz-)
    n.
    1. A separation or division into factions.
      1. A formal breach of union within a Christian church.
      2. The offense of attempting to produce such a breach.
    2. Disunion; discord.

now you know

+ Reply to Thread