+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: quarterback situation

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

quarterback situation

anyone out there got any word on the quarterback situation?

from what I've seen and heard, kubik and allen are running 1a and 1b, while champion is running with the second team. kubik again appears to be the frontrunner. while everyone struggled in the first scrimmage on offense, kubik had the best day in the second scrimmage. the third is wednesday, and the the bone bowl is saturday.

allen is allen. he has more upside, and more downside, than kubik. champion looks more confident and seems to have a better grasp of the offense. however, he still hasn't been able to crack any reps with the 1s.

i'll be interested in seeing what happens at the bowl bone. i'd assume all three qb's are going to run with both teams, but that would just be a guess on my part.

heading down the home stretch, it seems as if it's kubik's job to lose going into fall drills.

theprofessor

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: quarterback situation

I hope that there is a clear picture of who will start this year. I think last year the indecision hurt us. Kubic looks the strongest right now. I really would like to see Champion get some play time this year, though. He definitely has the potential.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Do we have a #4 QB on campus right now, or will that be a freshman in the fall?

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Well, I still think we are hurting at the QB position. Allen does not throw a good catchable ball. He does have a cannon, but alot of his throws, the nose of the football is going down. I think Kubik is the leader right now. Allen is more athletic but just throws up alot of balls for grabs. At the scrimmage Sat., Champion's arm is not strong at all from what I saw. This new guy coming in will have to be an absolute stud to start as a truw freshman.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

Rooster's analysis of our current QB situation is dead on. Kubik & Allen are locked in another competitive situation for the no. 1 job. Allen started with the first unit last Sat. & drove the team 70 yds. for a TD with Franklin finishing the drive off with an amazing 20 yd. run. Champion does NOT seem to be improving as he still makes the same fundamental mistakes he made 2 springs ago. Allen has an escapability that Kubik does not but Kubik is very steady, reflecting his years of experience at Tech. It will be interesting how it all turns out. We DO have a couple of walk-ons at the QB position but none that will make a difference. To think that the New Jersey QB could come in this fall & make a contribution is ludicrous.

Scrimmage went well. Offense showed new life & defense made some plays. I was impressed with all THREE RB's-Franklin, Dillard, & Kenny Hicks. Together, they put up almost 200 yds. Both offense & defense were using different personnel groups so it was hard to get a read on who was going against who most of the time. Some of the old hands were impressive. Fairly new names that continue to impress are Jason Gooch at TE (a monster), Brannon Jackson at ILB (250 lbs. of mash-you), Quinn Harris & Quincy Hicks at LB (both spent time working with the first unit), & Josh Muse at NT who made several resounding hits. With Jon Holland missing at a track meet, we had no deep threat. However, even little Freddie King made some nice catches.

All in all, both offense & defense made progress. The new option series we are using WILL put tremendous pressure on a defense, if we execute properly.

Big Dog Tech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really nice

I can't believe that Freddie King is still here! I would have thought that he was out of eligibility by now. It seems like he has been here forever.

Big Dog SummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the ears SummaCumDoggie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MICKEYS14
    To think that the New Jersey QB could come in this fall & make a contribution is ludicrous.
    Wasn't Luke McCown a Freshman when he came in and lit up Miami for 400 plus yards? Wasn't their coach so impressed with that freshman that he would later draft him in Cleveland? For that matter, didn't Chris Leak win 8 straight in his freshman year at Florida? For THAT matter, didn't Maurice Clarett lead the Buckeyes to a national championchip as a freshman? Age is almost always trumped by tallent. If the New Jersey QB is better than what we've got (which shouldn't be too hard), then I could see him making a contrubution. I'm not saying he will acomplish all that these other Freshman did, but if we're talking about contributing, I think he could do it.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SummaCumDoggie
    Wasn't Luke McCown a Freshman when he came in and lit up Miami for 400 plus yards? Wasn't their coach so impressed with that freshman that he would later draft him in Cleveland? For that matter, didn't Chris Leak win 8 straight in his freshman year at Florida? For THAT matter, didn't Maurice Clarett lead the Buckeyes to a national championchip as a freshman? Age is almost always trumped by tallent. If the New Jersey QB is better than what we've got (which shouldn't be too hard), then I could see him making a contrubution. I'm not saying he will acomplish all that these other Freshman did, but if we're talking about contributing, I think he could do it.
    Didn't Luke participate in spring prior to his freshman year? I have to agree with Coach Mick. I don't see how an incoming freshman can make a difference, even with superb talent. He's not going to know the offense well enough.

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar

I almost flipped out Sat. when I saw us run an option play and a shuttle pass off of the option!!! I think this is a great package to install and we should have using this for a while!

Big Dog SummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the ears SummaCumDoggie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    Didn't Luke participate in spring prior to his freshman year? I have to agree with Coach Mick. I don't see how an incoming freshman can make a difference, even with superb talent. He's not going to know the offense well enough.
    First let me say that I tend to agree, but just to be the devil's advocate I will point out that we are implementing a new offense so everyone will be starting from square one. The only thing that separates the candidtates now is their tallent, I see no reason why it should be any different for the freshman.

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

Luke did not participate in spring training prior to his freshman year. Please remember-WE are the ONLY D1-A school that offered the New Jersey QB a ride-all of the D1-A schools in his region passed. What does that tell you? Every single one of them missed? I don't think so. Luke was pressed into duty his FR year due to injury. Our intent was to RS him. OK, he did amazingly well considering he was not ready. I will give you that. However, I really do not think that the NJ QB will even be given a chance to see action. We will be way too busy getting Allen, Kubik, & Champion ready to play the opener vs. Florida. There will simply NOT be enough REPS to go around for this youngster to show what he MIGHT be able to do. I HOPE he ends up being a great one for us. I just don't realistically think it will be in 2005, barring a catastrophic disaster.

That may be true, but it is not as if any of our outher QBs were heralded tallents aside from Champion.

And.........NONE of them are incoming FRESHMEN never having experienced playing before 85,000 in the SWAMP! DOOGIE--you need to think a little more on this issue.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SummaCumDoggie

Luke got offered by several schools. This kid didn't even get offerd in the early signing period, much less late. We signed him late. Believe me, I hope he is the next Michael Vick, but realistically he will redshirt. I think Kubik is our starter. He and Allen are close I will agree. Kubik just seems to me not to make as many poor decisons. Of course, Allen is more athletic and can scramble better. To me, good decision making is the #1 attribute in a QB, via Rattay, Roethlisberger.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

[QUOTE=SummaCumDoggie]First let me say that I tend to agree, but just to be the devil's advocate... QUOTE]

I'm just trying to present the other side of this issue. Also, if memory serves, the reason he did not sign was b/c the schools in his area were not looking for QBs.

Furthermore, Kubik seemed to do just fine his first time in front of 100,000 Vol. fans, so why should it be any different for this kids first time? Truly, I think that he will not contribute, but the question was COULD he come in and make a contribution. I think I have shown that this is possible.

At any rate, I think our running game and specifically our o-line should be the anchor of our offense again this year, so I am not as concerned about the QB position as I have been in the past. I would argue that if we are using more option plays, however, Allen should get the nod. I think we all agree that he is the most athletic of our QBs.

+ Reply to Thread