+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bone Bowl

Champ theinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her game

Bone Bowl

If you like defense you got your wish today with pics, sacks and fumble recoveries on every other series.

I think the emphasis on secondary is proving itself out. We have a log jam there at safety and corner. I do think we are more athletic and more aggressive. All balls are contested...none of this ten yards and out cushion bullshit.

Tromon Williams is the next rising star.

Muse is hard to block and the size of our DE's makes it hard to throw over them.

All th jc dlineman are contrinuting too.Thad Williams was moved back to DE and looked great.

Champ theinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her gametheinsider is on top of his/her game

Re: Bone Bowl

IF you like offense you were not as happy...too much pressure on our qb's all day messed up play after play.

None of our Qb's will separate if they cannot get time to use their skills.

Guy with a great day was Dillard....ran for over 100.

Another guy with a great day was WR Handy out of Ouachita and Carroll out of GSU. WOW. Handy is over 200 and over 6'2"...looks sturdy in the seconday.

Gooch is going to surprise at TE. He caught a couple. We are wasting Shelton Richardson at TE. He is lost in the shuffle.

Worst part of the day was kicking. We had no kicking game. I swear we had ten missed FG's. When a scrimmage is going long usually the coaches look for a good place to stop...like a td or a big defensive stand...I am not lying when they tried to end it on a fg and could not get one through on either end by either team or kicker.

Only Zach Myatt klicked one through and it was head high....barely made it.

Our kickers are way off last year and even further behind when we were set with Scobee.

We did not punt any.

Summary:

Defense is ahead...way ahead....Offense looked vanilla...too vanilla.

Freddie Franklin is going to be good.

Dillard is going to be good.

But even together they are not even close to Moats at this juncture.

More Summary:

We have so many guys who can play it is hard to name em all.

Spurgeon is very good...Hampton slapped two out of the sky and covered like a mad man but Tramon Williams is a leader and looks very good to me.

Very Important note:

Three major players did not play much or in some cases any this spring....TE Anthony James, LB Byron Santiago and WR Johnathan Holland. I even noticed they held out Hamilton a ton this spring.

Holland was introduced as the fastest man in the WAC and 8th fastest in America at the scrimmage....

Impressive crowd of well over 1500 was enthusiastic and supportive on another God-given beautiful day at Louisiana Tech....you shoulda been there...even Dave Nitz did the announcing....

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by theinsider
    IF you like offense you were not as happy...too much pressure on our qb's all day messed up play after play.

None of our Qb's will separate if they cannot get time to use their skills.

Guy with a great day was Dillard....ran for over 100.

Another guy with a great day was WR Handy out of Ouachita and Carroll out of GSU. WOW. Handy is over 200 and over 6'2"...looks sturdy in the seconday.

Gooch is going to surprise at TE. He caught a couple. We are wasting Shelton Richardson at TE. He is lost in the shuffle.
    I agree with you about the QB's. It's hard to judge. But I thought other than a couple of passes that Allen had a bad day. I just don't see in him what some on this board seem to, he has a weird delivery on his passes, almost like he is winding up and he gets very jittery in the pocket. I personally think Champion should move up to # 2 on the depth chart.

And at this point I would also have to agree with you about Richardson.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47
    I agree with you about the QB's. It's hard to judge. But I thought other than a couple of passes that Allen had a bad day. I just don't see in him what some on this board seem to, he has a weird delivery on his passes, almost like he is winding up and he gets very jittery in the pocket. I personally think Champion should move up to # 2 on the depth chart.

And at this point I would also have to agree with you about Richardson.
    I couldnt make it over as I had to work today so I can't comment on Allens play today. But I think he seems to have ability but doesnt seem poised and under control. And I agree about his delivery. Doesn't seem to have good mechanics but I would like to hear what Mick says about this as he is the expert on the position and not me. Something just doesnt look right , not very smooth.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13
    I couldnt make it over as I had to work today so I can't comment on Allens play today. But I think he seems to have ability but doesnt seem poised and under control. And I agree about his delivery. Doesn't seem to have good mechanics but I would like to hear what Mick says about this as he is the expert on the position and not me. Something just doesnt look right , not very smooth.
    Its like the ball is coming out of nowhere and just appears. It is not a quick release at all.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theinsider
    Summary:

Defense is ahead...way ahead....Offense looked vanilla...too vanilla.
    Speaking of which, what kind of "O" did we run today? Was it last year's run first, previous year's throw a gazillion times, or the Meyer option scheme? Or something completely different?

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

The Shotgun package was mostly Meyer triple option / inside-outside shovel option stuff, with a little of the Conroy Hines Screen Packages (tm) thrown in.

The under-center set was the standard zone block left, zone block right stuff we did with Ryan last year.

Champ TechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud of TechsasDawg's Avatar

Wink Re: Bone Bowl

I agree with just about everything Lee said, except with the offense being too vanilla. Compared to past several seasons, this offense is more agressive. I have to comment that at this stage of practice, the defense will always be ahead of the offense, because their sets, assignments, and movements are much simpler, and easier to learn and execute. The offensive guys haven't all learned where to line up yet, much less who to block.

Having said that, I offensive play calling has improved over the last couple of years, in that we had some 14 long passes (in excess of 30 yards). Severay very pretty catches, and a few that were just a fingertip away from a completion. That in itself will open up the running game for us. We also had 5 passes to a crossing TE. Now, that is something I haven't seen the Tech Football Team do in a number of years. We usually throw to a TE who has gone forward for 1 yard, and turns around and waits for the ball. Then he starts running, hoping to get 7 more yards for a first down. However, that never worked in years past. So, having a TE in motion actually catch the ball is exciting - let them get up a head of steam, and they are hard to stop. Gooch looks like a good one.

The new coaches are impressive. A lot of hollering at players when they didn't do what they were supposed to do in a given situation, and letting them know what they did wrong, and how to correct it. This is even better than half time adjustments - make the adjustments as they happen!!! What a novel idea!!!

All in all, a good day, because Tech won! Good feed sponsored by the athletic department for CHAMPS members, and a ton of activities for students and youngsters before the game. Good atmosphere that I haven't seen since the Fresno game last year. Can't wait for fall, and a trip to Kansas to watch the Dawgs. Florida is just too far for Miss Betty and I to go in mid September. But, on the bright side, we'll be in Ruston the whole month of October, with a short flight out to Nevada and 4 home games.

Go Dawgs!!!!!

TD

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what I saw:

Basically, the offense looked like last year's offense, but without Moats. That doesn't bode well. The "Utah offense" was stuffed all day. However, it looks like we are putting an emphasis on the deep pass. We had 5 deep passes that should have been TD's but all were dropped but 1. I can't wait to see Holland run those routes!! Hope he can pull 'em in. Bryan Carroll was impressive as he got past our DB's 2 or 3 times....but he has to hang on to them. Handy also got behind them a couple of times. That is good for the offense, but how can our defense let 2 walk-ons get behind them? However, the defense was very impressive. I think at least one player blitzed every play. Lots of pressure.

Bottom line: I think the defense will have to carry us this year. This is the first time in a very long time that I am not comfortable with our offense. Kubik is clearly our best QB and Franklin is clearly our best RB (at least until Patrick Jackson arrives). I wasn't impressed with Dillard. He did have a 65 yd TD run, but most of us could have taken that ball to the house....excellent blocking right up the middle. I look for some low-scoring games next year.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

glm47 - KD and I said the same thing based on what we saw today. Kubic #1, Champion #2, Allen #3. We were curious to see the Utah option too, but can't say we really saw anything that even vaguely resembled it.

+ Reply to Thread