+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why would our Offense be behind our Defense??

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Why would our Offense be behind our Defense??

To be honest, if we are where we've said we are in the past, we REALLY should go 10-1 and technically have the talent (minus QB) to do it. However... I'd really just be pissed if we couldn't get 7-4. The Sun Belt rejects are W's, and I hope we ram it up NT's ass. KU could possibly be a very winnable BCS game. Florida... well... I don't wanna completely 'doom' that, but I mean.. we'll just say I'll be watching and I'll throw a huge party if we upset them. The real toss-ups are the usuals: Hawaii, Fresneck, and Boise. Forget Nevada and SJSU... Nevada is always nothing but talk and SJSU has a long way to go. Who knows though.. anything can happen. If it's really Tech football, we'll beat Florida by accident and after all the hype and ESPN imploding, we go and lose to Idaho by 3 touchdowns or something, ala Michigan State and then the rest of that season. Oh well, I'm always optimistic. I can't help it, I followed the Saints for crying out loud. Also, I'm an IceGators hockey fan and I just saw their last game ever, so it can't get much worse for me, right? hahahaha, GO BULLDOGS!

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by TechsasDawg
    Where in the world did you get this stupid idea? We were 36 for 38 last year with two Freshmen kickers, and they are both back this year as sophmores. You need to check your sources.

Another stupid statement! We haven't had any kicking situations yet this year, so there is no way that you can make that statement. Last year, we averaged 19.3 yards per kick return. Our opponents averaged 18.3 yards per kick return. Since we had a better return average than our opponents, and our defense is definitely faster and quicker than it was last year, how in the world can you keep a straight face and say we can't cover a kick?

The only thing I can say here, is we beat Fresno State last year (ranked 17th in the nation). May not have anything to do with coaching, but the coaches were at that game, and did have a few inputs. Since we haven't yet had an opportunity to demonstrate our prowress in the coaching arena, I would suggest that it may be just a wee bit early to walk out on a limb on this one.

Well, well, well. I'm begining to think that you haven't seen a game in the last 5 years. To be mostly correct, you must understand that when Coach Rose arrived last year, he changed our defenseive scheme from a 4-3 (four down linemen and three linebackers) to a 3 - 4 (three down linemen and four linebackers). That basic scheme is continuing this year, which gives us one defensive scheme in 2 years. For the previous three years (prior to Coach Rose, we ran a 4-3, which gives us one defensive scheme for three years. Sooooo, from basic arithmetic, it is obvious to even the most casual observer that we have only had two (2) basic defensive schemes in 5 years. Not our 5th defense in 5 years as some uninformed individuals seem to think!

TD
    ~~
    #1. With the extra points, i was trying to be facetious, although our FG kickers stink. Everyone but you seems to realize this. We cant kick a FG Einstein, that is what I was trying to point out. our extra points are uglier than sin, too. We went 36 of 38 but I promise you we masde 1/2 of those by the skin of our teeth, or should i say skin of the crossbar and uprights.

PLUS, their kickoff depth and height leaves ALOT to be desired.

You seem to be the only one who doesnt understand we have a FG and punting problem.

#2. PUNT RETURN YARDAGE ALLOWED - WE WERE 108 out of 117 teams: http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank....fense&site=org

IT KILLED US LAST YEAR.

#3 YOU ARE ABOUT THE ONLY YAHOO on this board who DOESNT UNDERSTAND OUR COACHES ARE ABOUT AS BAD AS IT GETS IN DIV 1. WE WOULD HAVE WON 20 MORE GAMES OVER THE PAST 6 YEARS WITH A DECENT, STABLE COACHING STAFF

Deal with it.

#4. We change defenses and defensive coaches more often than you change your underwear (although, less often than you need to change your DEPENDS, so you have that going for you).

Have a nice day.

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganDawg
    Alta,
    Dodare say that we may go 3 - 8. You might get alot of red like me.

I do agree with you though. In fact, I thought I wrote your post.
    You and I have always been on the same page. We dont like to bash the team or the school, but facts are facts. Change is years overdue yet I see nothing, nothing at ALL, decent on the horizon for football or basketball.

I have been as gungho and optimistic as most, if not all, over the past 6 years but recently I have gone past my breaking point.

I will not support Tech anymore until I see change.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altadawg
    #1. With the extra points, i was trying to be facetious, although our FG kickers stink. Everyone but you seems to realize this. We cant kick a FG Einstein, that is what I was trying to point out. our extra points are uglier than sin, too. We went 36 of 38 but I promise you we masde 1/2 of those by the skin of our teeth, or should i say skin of the crossbar and uprights.

PLUS, their kickoff depth and height leaves ALOT to be desired.

You seem to be the only one who doesnt understand we have a FG and punting problem.

#2. PUNT RETURN YARDAGE ALLOWED - WE WERE 108 out of 117 teams: http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank....fense&site=org

IT KILLED US LAST YEAR.

#3 YOU ARE ABOUT THE ONLY YAHOO on this board who DOESNT UNDERSTAND OUR COACHES ARE ABOUT AS BAD AS IT GETS IN DIV 1. WE WOULD HAVE WON 20 MORE GAMES OVER THE PAST 6 YEARS WITH A DECENT, STABLE COACHING STAFF

Deal with it.

#4. We change defenses and defensive coaches more often than you change your underwear (although, less often than you need to change your DEPENDS, so you have that going for you).

Have a nice day.
    Alta, I've been to a number of practices and attended the Bone Bowl and I have to believe that our kicking situation is better off than it was at this time last year. We may not have All-Americans but I think Horwedel and Myatt are adequate and we should be in good shape this Fall.

As for our D, Coach Lovett has done a tremendous job. Guys are hustling to the ball and there's a different attitude out there. Lovett is a no-nonsense guy, and I promise you our D will turn some heads this year. We all thought that Rose blitzed and stunted alot, but just wait until you check out Lovett's scheme, we'll have guys flying all over the place. A coach with Lovett's Resume is too good not to make a difference with our players, and hopefully that new attitude will spill over to the offense as well.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88
    Alta, I've been to a number of practices and attended the Bone Bowl and I have to believe that our kicking situation is better off than it was at this time last year. We may not have All-Americans but I think Horwedel and Myatt are adequate and we should be in good shape this Fall.

As for our D, Coach Lovett has done a tremendous job. Guys are hustling to the ball and there's a different attitude out there. Lovett is a no-nonsense guy, and I promise you our D will turn some heads this year. We all thought that Rose blitzed and stunted alot, but just wait until you check out Lovett's scheme, we'll have guys flying all over the place. A coach with Lovett's Resume is too good not to make a difference with our players, and hopefully that new attitude will spill over to the offense as well.
    Ditto! And we need to give Myatt more shots. That other kid, last name starts with an O, just keeps missing. Our D looked good yesterday. Like others I am worried about our CB's/S. Too many guys were open deep by a step or two yesterday.

Was waiting for your report. The FG kickers have got to be better than last year. We will not get into the endzone as often without GITMO. We will have to make some 40 yarders, which we simply couldnt do last year.

I trust your take on the defense and Lovett, but I will wait until 2 or 3 games in to believe that we will be even an ounce better. I wont count the FL game, cause we all know what is going to happen there...

The main problem with the defense is likely to be the offense. How are we going to move the ball on anyone?? I can see the defense on the field 40 minutes a game all year and that will mean we get pounded to death.

Even by the Utah State's

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

I really would hate to see two of my FAVORITE poster, alta & techsas, get into a pecker match.

Where's the love guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967
    I really would hate to see two of my FAVORITE poster, alta & techsas, get into a pecker match.

Where's the love guys?
    Im sorry Techsas. I know he is just trying to put a good foot forward and stay positive but I think I have just about run out of Tech spirit at the moment. I just cant see anything good happening in the near future.

AND ALL COULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT!

Sigh. I will try to keep my big yapper shut for a while, I dont intend on bring ing anyone down, I just want to voice my extreme displeasure with our current state of affairs. Im telling you, 3-8 to 4-7 is the best Tech will do next year.

Now I will shut up for a while.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Was waiting for your report. The FG kickers have got to be better than last year. We will not get into the endzone as often without GITMO. We will have to make some 40 yarders, which we simply couldnt do last year.

I trust your take on the defense and Lovett, but I will wait until 2 or 3 games in to believe that we will be even an ounce better. I wont count the FL game, cause we all know what is going to happen there...

The main problem with the defense is likely to be the offense. How are we going to move the ball on anyone?? I can see the defense on the field 40 minutes a game all year and that will mean we get pounded to death.

Even by the Utah State's
    Man, I'm telling you, Dillard and Franklin are going to be a nice mix at RB. They have a different style of running, but I think both can produce some good results. Dillard can absolutely fly, on his 60yd+ run nobody ,and I mean nobody was going to catch this kid. Dillard is probably the fastest RB we've had at Tech in the last 10 yrs and the great thing about him is he's built similar to Ryan but bigger at 5-11/ 205 lbs.

Man, I'm telling you, Dillard and Franklin are going to be a nice mix at RB. They have a different style of running, but I think both can produce some good results. Dillard can absolutely fly, on his 60yd+ run nobody ,and I mean nobody was going to catch this kid. Dillard is probably the fastest RB we've had at Tech in the last 10 yrs and the great thing about him is he's built similar to Ryan but bigger at 5-11/ 205 lbs.
    If Ryan Moats had trouble against a 8 or 9 man stack, these guys will not be able to produce. We have to be able to throw to open up the run. If we had the ability to throw it like we could with McCown and Rattay, that would be different. I would feel better (although my understanding is the offensive line was embarrassed yesterday). But without a decent passing game, I dont see either of those guys coming close to Moats's production.

Franklin is quick, Dillard is fast, but they dont have the ability to break tackles, stiff arm, juke, explosion, they dont have the vision, ....They are not Moats. We were almost a 1 man team last year and that man is gone.

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

I have carefully read each post this am & it does make for interesting reading. I will respond by making two observations. First, without Jonathan Holland in the game, our entire offense changes. Second, if some of you are feeling down today about our offense, please read the Oklahoma Sooner board.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Even by the Utah State's
    What you arent getting is that you could take our problems that you keep pointing out and multiply them by ten and you have USU , Idaho and NMSU. These are the dreggs of the Belt. Our QB situation is no worse than UNT's they graduated their only QB with experience, and the next in line passed away in a car wreck last year. We arent the only team on our schedule with issues. Nevada has a long list of them so does Hawaii and SJSU. Everyone but Fresno and Boise has BIGTIME issues in our conference. (and there are some that think Fresno has some as well) ........ 6-5.

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by MICKEYS14
    I have carefully read each post this am & it does make for interesting reading. I will respond by making two observations. First, without Jonathan Holland in the game, our entire offense changes. Second, if some of you are feeling down today about our offense, please read the Oklahoma Sooner board.
    Thanks! The Sooners board was theraputic!

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting commentary and good points made by all. The facts are--we are not as bad as some think, but we still ain't good. Last year, the preseason predictions (by many of the same posters) was we would MAYBE win 3 ballgames. Guess what? We won six, and should've won more.

This year is hard to predict but, I know we won't be terrible. IMO, we are:

Better at--OL, WR, QB, LB, PK/P

Worse at--RB, DL,

Dunno--DB, TE,

We lost one the best running backs in Tech history in Ryan Moats. However, ya'll know as well as me, that Bicknell OVERUSED him last year to the team's detriment. We are more formidable with a balanced attack.(ala SMU game last season) I don't know if we will be improved or not OVERALL, but I know for a fact that the schedule is much easier. We won't finished worse than 6-6.

last thing i am going to post on this thread, or at least I will try!

I said last year we would go 7-5. i am maybe 1 or 2 others were the only one's who said we would be .500 or better.

This year, I just dont see how we can win 6, I think 4 or 5 will be tops. I wish it wasnt so but we going to get smothered by most of the teams on the schedule. Yes, the schedule SHOULD be easy, it is easy compared to most of the ones in the past decade, but I dont think we are going to field a very good team this year.

+ Reply to Thread