+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moats in S'port Times

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

Moats in S'port Times

Moats shifts into the NFL
    Former Bulldogs star running back ready to play at next level
    April 20, 2005
    .photocontainer {width: 375px;}
    Former Louisiana Tech star running back Ryan Moats is rated as one of the top players at his position by NFL Draft experts. (Shane Bevel/The Times)
    Making a name for himself

Ryan Moats is part of one of the deepest classes of running back prospects for the NFL Draft. Here's a look at some of the top prospects:
    First round
    Cadillac Williams, Auburn, 5-11, 217 -- Dynamic runner who has a lot of power for his frame.
    Ronnie Brown, Auburn, 6-0, 233 -- Big back who has a lot of versatility.
    Cedric Benson, Texas, 5-11, 222 -- Stock has slipped; he's at his best in the red zone.
    Second round
    J.J. Arrington, California, 5-9, 214 -- Extremely fast and is best between the tackles.
    Marion Barber, Minnesota, 5-11, 221 -- Patient runner.
    Vernand Morency, Oklahoma State, 5-10, 212 -- Shifty runner who can be very elusive.
    Third round
    Ryan Moats, Louisiana Tech, 5-8, 210 -- Excellent quickness, may not be big enough for every-down back.
    Weekend TV
    Saturday: 11:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., ESPN; 4:30 p.m.-9 p.m., ESPN2
    Sunday: 10 a.m.-5 p.m., ESPN

By Brian Vernellis

bvernellis@gannett.com

The talk and rumors about this weekend's NFL Draft float around former Louisiana Tech star Ryan Moats daily. Yet, for all he's heard, he's still in the dark.

He's talked with many NFL teams, but none has tipped its hand if it will select him. So he sits, tries to be patient and calms his anxiety about his professional future.

"I really don't have a preference," Moats said. "I'm just ready to go play."

His junior season at Louisiana Tech proved how ready he is. He set a school single-season rushing record with 1,774 yards and 18 touchdowns, earning the Western Athletic Conference's Offensive Player of the Year.

It was the final impetus he needed to leave Tech for the NFL.

"I just assessed everything and felt like I exceeded in college and did all I could do," he said. "I had two good years back-to-back and I thought it was time to move on."

He's part of a strong class of running backs, one of the strongest in recent years. Running backs, wide receivers, defensive ends and cornerbacks are the deepest positions for the draft.

Auburn's Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown and Texas' Cedric Benson are the top of the running back list.

Moats' stock has risen since scouts saw his workouts for the East-West Shrine Game. One play in practice illustrated his strengths -- his receiving and play-making abilities.

On a play out of the Bulldogs' playbook, Moats caught a swing pass out of the backfield then made several defenders miss before being tackled.

It's no wonder he idolizes Barry Sanders, another running back who had a knack for making defenders grasp at thin air. The two are almost identical in size -- Sanders is 5-8, 200 pounds; Moats is 5-8, 210 pounds.

"He's one of the most exciting running backs I've seen in the last three or four years," said ESPN analyst John Cooper, a former Ohio State head coach.

"Every time he touches the ball he is a threat to go the distance. I'm very impressed with him."

Cooper wasn't the only analyst praising Moats. ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. projected him as the fourth running back taken in the draft, possibly as high as the second round.

"I did hear about that," Moats said. "I really don't want to comment on it. I just want to see what happens.

"It's an honor for him to even say that because a lot of people would think of one of the other running backs before they'd pick me."

Dallas invited him and other local prospects to its Valley Ranch complex on April 8.

Fox Sports analyst and pro scout Chris Landry believes Moats has what it takes to be a solid NFL running back, but he doesn't think he will immediately follow Brown, Williams and Benson.

"He's a special college player, but he's not a great pro prospect," Landry said. "He doesn't have great speed. He doesn't have that burst like a lot of the top backs do.

"He's a solid, productive back with good instincts. There's nothing overly special about him."

Only time will tell, but Louisiana Tech head coach Jack Bicknell knows what will distinguish Moats from other prospects in the deep class.

"I know this, he will have a great attitude once he gets there," Bicknell said. "In other words, the coaches will love him and that's so important in order to make a team."

"If he can get there, keep his mouth shut, work hard and be a great kid, then the players and coaches will like him and that will really help him."

Not only does he have the physical attributes to succeed in the NFL, but he also has the right mental state of mind.

His first lucrative NFL contract is only days away, but he's not thinking of all the materialistic rewards that come with it.

"I don't want to get crazy, maybe get a car," he said. "I'm used to the way I am. I'm not really starving for anything."

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Re: Moats in S'port Times

Quote Originally Posted by shreveportdawg

Fox Sports analyst and pro scout Chris Landry believes Moats has what it takes to be a solid NFL running back, but he doesn't think he will immediately follow Brown, Williams and Benson.

"He's a special college player, but he's not a great pro prospect," Landry said. "He doesn't have great speed. He doesn't have that burst like a lot of the top backs do.

"He's a solid, productive back with good instincts. There's nothing overly special about him."
    Who is this idiot? He doesnt have "that burst"? This clown has never seen Moats play a down of football in his life.

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

I agree. If there is nothing special about Moats, then why did every defense he played against make their defensive plan to stop him.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shreveportdawg
    I agree. If there is nothing special about Moats, then why did every defense he played against make their defensive plan to stop him.
    because he was all we had. the coaches aren't stupid.

but that analyst is. there's nothing overly special about him? unbelievable. chris landry can say whatever he wants to say. i think kiper is closer to being accurate, and he has moats as the number four back.

he's all over the board. sixth round by some. most have him in third or fourth. kiper has him in the second. i have him in the first. the jets really, really like him. i honestly don't think he's going to be available when they pick in the second round. they need a backup running back after lamont jordan left. curtis martin is getting up there in age, so they need a back of the future. moats fits that bill. i think they grab him in the first, shocking everyone but yours truly.

theprofessor

Champ TechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud of TechsasDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor
    ... i think they grab him in the first, shocking everyone but yours truly. theprofessor
    I sure hope you're right!! Ryan is going to make somebody real happy come draft time.

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor
    i have him in the first. the jets really, really like him. i honestly don't think he's going to be available when they pick in the second round. they need a backup running back after lamont jordan left. curtis martin is getting up there in age, so they need a back of the future. moats fits that bill. i think they grab him in the first, shocking everyone but yours truly.

theprofessor
    The Jets like him but just a few minutes ago they traded away that first round pick. Not sure what they are getting yet..

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altadawg
    The Jets like him but just a few minutes ago they traded away that first round pick. Not sure what they are getting yet..
    new york picked up an extra second rounder in the trade. i now say the jets pick him with the 47th pick in the second round.

theprofessor

+ Reply to Thread