+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alumni Directory

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

Re: Alumni Directory

Quote Originally Posted by nadB
    If you're the James Emmett Poisso, III, who lives in Ellisville, MO, and is a tech writer for Pfizer ?? ; yeah, you're on page 891, w/hotmail e-mail address incl.
    yeah, that's me...though I no longer work for Pfizer...

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

It's amazing how quickly these things end up out of date. Why don't they just do this?

Put the directory on the web where you can access it. Charge $10 a year for rights to look at it. They could keep the data up to date and make it useful, and probably make more (I don't know what they make out of the book, so maybe they have to raise the price) than they do with these book/CDs.

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar

If your screen name is your real name; and, if you're a med student who lives in Southhaven, MS; and, if your middle name is "Chambers"; then, yeah, you're in.

I cannot tell whether the info is current or outdated, tho. Duh.

HO HO HO
    Pretty close, except that I have never in my life lived in Southaven, MS. I used to drive through there a lot on my way to Memphis, so maybe I have an unpaid traffic ticket or something from there.

Who do we contact to update our information?

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc
    It's amazing how quickly these things end up out of date. Why don't they just do this?

Put the directory on the web where you can access it. Charge $10 a year for rights to look at it. They could keep the data up to date and make it useful, and probably make more (I don't know what they make out of the book, so maybe they have to raise the price) than they do with these book/CDs.
    That just makes WAY too much sense!

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NathanDarby
    Who do we contact to update our information?
    This works pretty good, methimks ??

http://www.latechalumni.org/pages/aupdate.php

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix

I like the CD containing the complete listings, too. Very nice feature.
    tm
    Damn straight, pixpro; damn straight, jmo.

Got it in the mail after the hardcopy and forgot about it 'til you reminded me; but, loaded/saved the entire database tonight. Nifty.

HO HO HO

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

This works pretty good, methimks ??

http://www.latechalumni.org/pages/aupdate.php
    Good place to put BB&B screen name in "OTHER INFORMATION"
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

done

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc

Yeah, they already have this, it's called Classmates.com. Maybe paid-up alumni should be able to access the database through the alumni site. Problem is most people won't keep their stuff up to date. Maybe once everybody gets embedded data chips with GPS capabilities then we can find one another that way.

HERE IS THE REVIEW THAT WAS REQUESTED

I didn't order a copy, and my dad doesn't remember ordering a copy, but for some reason they sent one to him anyway. Whatever.

I don't think we got the CD, but the book is pretty good... A whopping 1800+ pages. I've found lots of people in it, but there are some folks missing who I know graduated. Even most of the major and minor celebs among us are listed (but not Trace Adkins or Wayne Watson for some reason).

There are a few blah-blah sections at the beginning, like all the ways you can donate money to the university (I personally am doing the tuition-for-life in grad school thing). There are four alumni listings, one is the standard biographical stuff (and married females are listed by maiden and married names) and the second is by graduation year. The third--and my favorite--is the geographical listing, so you can see who the Tech alumni are in your neighborhood (unless you live in Ruston, in which case just looking at the phone book may be faster). The final section is some crazy "Alumni Career Networking Section" which seems to be a waste of paper to me. The bio section lists career info if you provided it, and the sections in the networking list are so broad that I can't really see that many people would find that useful. Now a section of organizations with Tech-friendly hiring practices, that would be useful. There is also a "Friends Biographical Section" but I can't figure out what it means in this context to be a "Friend of Louisiana Tech University."

As for the cost-to-benefit analysis, I can't really say. I guess it depends on how badly you want to track down your old posse. I would like to get a clearer answer on how much $$ Tech actually sees from this thing before I consider buying the next edition. But it has been real fun looking up old pals.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Thanks, guys, for sharing with us cheapskates!

I might buy one late if they send an offer, but somewhere I have the old one and haven't used it in a decade.

There are some people I would like to look up from my school days, C.B. and Bonnie Coburn from Lake Providence, Geraldine and ? from Jonesville, etc., but mostly I would probably remember people by reading the book and being reminded by the names. I can't even recall names of most of the people I knew in 1958-64!
    Pathetic!

+ Reply to Thread