+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Student

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Another Student

who gets it.

This item originally appeared in the April 21, 2005 issue of The Tech Talk.

The baseball team beat then-No. 11 Rice on April 8 and swept Fresno State last weekend.

Ryan Hamilton has a 21-game hitting streak.

The softball team broke Tech's single season team home run record this season.

Ashley Cameron tied Tech's single season individual home run record.

Amber Miles and Brittany Stanley are both in the top five for career stolen bases in Techster history.

And none of these stat lines are being promoted by the athletic department.

This is history happening right in front of us, and nobody is aware of it, unless you read a post-game write-up.

The only place reliable on campus to find out what each sports team is doing each week is the gray box underneath this column. But traditional spring sports aren't the only ones subjected to under-promotion.

Bone Bowl III was held Saturday, and I saw nothing on campus advertising it.

Even during football season, the only advertising I see is painted on the bookstore window and maybe a paper sign outside the Student Center, but none of these are done by the athletic department.

The only thing I have seen on campus advertising a sporting event with any consistency is a small sign in the Quadrangle that said "Volleyball Today 2:00."

Football does receive publicity around campus, but it's from various student organizations promoting what they are doing at the game.

Small student organizations with far less money promote their events more than the athletic department does.

And it's not because the athletics promote themselves through winning.

Lady Techster basketball, by far the most successful Tech athletic program, lost more times this season than in the four years I've been a student here.

They've made the NCAA Tournament every year, won the national championship three times and even they get little-to-no publicity from the athletic department, despite a coaching search that drew "national attention," according to university officials.

It's almost like you go to the TAC every Thursday and Saturday (game days) and hope they're playing.

The Student Government Association implemented the Spirit of '88 Rewards Program to increase attendance, but, while the program is a great start, there hasn't been a card-stamper at many home baseball games. And if you don't know when a game is, how can you know when and where to go?

The athletic department occasionally sends out e-mails to promote the games and tell of special promotions, but many students don't use their Tech e-mail account often.

There are good promotions at Tech sporting events that you don't know about until you go.

The Quiznos Cup handed out coupons for free subs at a baseball game.

The Baseball Belles sell tickets to a 50/50 raffle, and the winner not only gets a cash prize but a free pizza.

And the Citgo Halftime Shootout had students, even those with no basketball skill, practicing the four shots in the intramural center hoping they could have their own shining moment.

But none of these promotions are made known to students unless they attend the games and view them first-hand.

And there isn't much to do in Ruston on Friday nights. So a well-promoted baseball game could be just the ticket (which Tech students get in for free anyway).

Just like the column in this space a week ago said, athletic programs on this campus (whether club sports or university-sponsored) don't get the love they deserve.

Brian Tynes is a senior journalism major from Brandon, Miss., and serves as news editor for The Tech Talk. E-mail comments to bnt004@latech.edu.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: Another Student

Yep he gets its -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Funny this criticism comes from an editor of the Tech Talk. Does his newspaper publish schedules each week?

Do students read the Tech Talk? I sure did.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

I know I am biased, but I think JC LOVE field is a great setting for baseball. The stadium is clean and nice, and the field looks great. Besides the promotions the writer mentions, you've got some music to listen to between innings, a couple or three trains going by beyond right field and the new apartments overlooking left and left center fields.

I helped my two sons move into one of the apartments that overlooks left center field last weekend and the view is super! They have plenty of room to cook outside and enjoy the game from there. Oh to be 18 again! :icon_wink
    Go Tech!

Varsity Bulldog KayBee isn't thought very highly of around hereKayBee isn't thought very highly of around hereKayBee isn't thought very highly of around hereKayBee isn't thought very highly of around here

[QUOTE=Cool Hand Clyde]Funny this criticism comes from an editor of the Tech Talk. Does his newspaper publish schedules each week?QUOTE]

the column says "The only place reliable on campus to find out what each sports team is doing each week is the gray box underneath this column." so yeah they do

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=KayBee]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde
    Funny this criticism comes from an editor of the Tech Talk. Does his newspaper publish schedules each week?QUOTE]

the column says "The only place reliable on campus to find out what each sports team is doing each week is the gray box underneath this column." so yeah they do
    So the word gets out?

What a bunch of crybaby X-boxers!

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

just so everybody knows, they send flyers out all over campus for football and mbb and wbb. they publish pocket schedules that you can pick up just about everywhere on campus not to mention most of the businesses on tech drive and they send out emails before every home game that mbb, wbb, and fb play. promotions could do more and i'm not saying that they are doing an all out campus blitz, but the guy who wrote this article doesn't live on campus and if he's like most people that don't live on campus he only goes there for class and, in his special case, working at the tech talk.

i've seen the flyers and gotten the emails. also remember that, considering the budget that promotions has to work with and that they pretty much need to find a local sponsor just to make a couple of copies, they aren't doing a poor job of reaching the campus...the campus just isn't responding.

Champ TechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud of TechsasDawg's Avatar

Excellent observation, Sik-m! There are advertisements available, and the students need to quit using 'ignorance' as an excuse for not attending the athletic events. Those students that want to go to the events know when they are being held. Those that don't give a $*#* just ignore the signs and play dumb (and not too hard for a lot of them).

TD
    ~~

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaDawg
    I know I am biased, but I think JC LOVE field is a great setting for baseball. The stadium is clean and nice, and the field looks great. Besides the promotions the writer mentions, you've got some music to listen to between innings, a couple or three trains going by beyond right field and the new apartments overlooking left and left center fields.

I helped my two sons move into one of the apartments that overlooks left center field last weekend and the view is super! They have plenty of room to cook outside and enjoy the game from there. Oh to be 18 again! :icon_wink
    Awesome man, he could probably sublet it for weekend series when he wants to go home and make him some money.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

For the life of me I cannot understand how a student could not know when games were going on. I lived off campus but it was never a problem finding out when there would be a game.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Texas and I KNOW!

Seriously, I agree with some of what this gentleman states, but not all of it. We need more than just announcements and incentives. We need EXCITEMENT! We have discussed all sorts of ways to do that with little or no money, but none of these things are done.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I know the digital advertisement board that use to sit on the corner of JC Love Field was old and ugly, when are we gonna get a new one?

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    I live in Texas and I KNOW!

Seriously, I agree with some of what this gentleman states, but not all of it. We need more than just announcements and incentives. We need EXCITEMENT! We have discussed all sorts of ways to do that with little or no money, but none of these things are done.
    if anyone has inexpensive ideas send them to the promtions guys. you have to remember that all the promo guys are also full-time stundents...they got alot to deal with outside of a nearly full-time job. i am positive that they will appreciate any of your suggestions and, if they are feasible, will use them. i'll try to find the promotions email address to post it.

also if any of you established fellas would like to have your name listed as a corporate sponsor at the bottom of a protional flyer or poster, give the guys up at promotions a ring and i'm sure they'd be willing to acept any donations you could give...look at their budget, they need all the help they can get.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47
    For the life of me I cannot understand how a student could not know when games were going on. I lived off campus but it was never a problem finding out when there would be a game.
    Same here! If someone wants to know there are plenty of ways to find out. If someone does not, all the advertising in the world is not going to help. The key is to get folks interested...

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown
    Same here! If someone wants to know there are plenty of ways to find out. If someone does not, all the advertising in the world is not going to help. The key is to get folks interested...
    Just win baby!

+ Reply to Thread